Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM

93 posts, read 175,974 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to South Florida soon and wanted to see if I could get some recommendations on where to live?

I took a new job in Coral Springs (although I will only be there for about 18 months)

I was told Coral Springs is a very nice and very affordable place to live albeit a little quiet

As a single gal, I was told to try looking at South Beach or Brickell.

Any thoughts or recommendations? My limited understanding is that South Beach may be a bit "touristy" and Brickell is a business-oriented side of town with more young professionals?

Budget is about $1500-$2000/month for a studio or 1 bedroom (any advice on specific apartment buildings would be greatly appreciated too. I tried doing a fairly limited search on craigslist but it seems like many of the places in Coral Springs/South Beach seem a bit dated with most of the newer, nicer buildings in Downtown Miami or Brickell)

Thanks very the help, looking forward to sunny Florida (in bone chilling NYC currently!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Well, you'll be doing a reverse commute so that would at least be good, but you may want to consider Ft. Lauderdale over Miami if you are not into driving. It's about a 50 mile commute each way from Miami to Coral Springs.

If you are set on Miami then yes, Brickell would be a good spot for you. Miami Beach is also good- there are newer buildings in Mid and North Beach if you're not keen on the older things in South Beach and can't afford the new buildings in South Beach.

I think once you decide if you're willing to make that kind of commute people will be able to direct you as to what specific buildings you should look at (and also don't forget what kind of amenities you would like, i.e.- pool, hot tub, gym, balcony, whether you would want to walk most places, would you take public transit, etc.)

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM

Oh that's fantastic, didn't even think to consider Ft Lauderdale

Perhaps that would be best, I don't mind driving but a shorter commute would be better for me (and I guess I could always go down to South Beach / Brickell on the weekends)

I would keep everything else the same I guess, budget of around $1500 - $2000/month for a studio/1 bedroom. Would love to have a pool, gym, balcony.

It would be nice to be able to walk to most places but I do plan on taking my car down from NYC, not particularly interested in public transit.

Any places in Ft Lauderdale you could recommend?

Again, thanks so much for the help!!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
With your budget you will find some GREAT 1 bedroom places. I want to tell you to do Brickell but man that is a LONG commute. Unless there is not an accident you wont get any traffic so the 50miles will take around 50mins but it is up to you if you don't mind driving 2 hours a day, putting 500miles on your car every week and paying for that gas. You may want to try looking at some places in Downtown Fort Lauderdale.

I will say Downtown Ft. Lauderdale and Brickell don't compare much. Brickell after South Beach is the most dense and walkable neighborhood out there. I don't know Downtown Ft. Lauderdale well. There are places to eat and there is some nighlife there but it isnt Miami.

Your choice is: Lots of driving during the week for a nice place during the weekend or less driving a not as good as a place. But with your budget where ever you find it will be a nice place with a gym and pool etc.. You could even afford to rent a small 1 bedroom or studio with Ocean Views on the beach if you wanted.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 PM

984 posts, read 4,318,493 times
Having a job in your case in Coral Springs, I'd rule out the whole Central and Southern (and Beachside) areas of Miami. I did the commute from the Brickell area to neighboring Deerfield Bch. and it took approx. 55 mins each way (that's mostly 95 Express against traffic - and right during quite early peak hours), varying [a lot] on the day depending if there's accidents and other stuff - I ended up quitting the job soon afterwards and working elsewhere. Unless you already know Miami decently enough and have your heart set on it, then go for it, the commute may be dreadful but it's possible. You have a good budget and would live nicely in Brickell or Miami Beach (I'd recommend the Mid-Beach and SoFi areas).

If you're fine with areas northwards, Aventura, Surfside and Bay Harbor Islds. come to mind; great, safe and not far at all from stuff. And slightly better commute - still shoddy though - and cheaper.

In Broward (which I personally would strongly recommend), in your case, there's Ft Lauderdale Bch and the eastern areas (Las Olas, etc.) of it as well: safe, cheaper than most of Miami, nice and less stressful while being near the areas with the 'action' and stuff in the Downtown FTL and Las Olas itself. Lauderdale-by-the-Sea and Galt Mile for even cheaper and while being even safer and with a better commute - also, not far from the area with the 'action' in Ft. Lauderdale; area with older and not-as-nice bldgs. though, but pretty pretty good.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM

Wow fantastic, thanks again everyone

I'm leaning towards Ft Lauderdale Beach but will definitely take the time to look at all your suggestions

Thanks again! (More welcome too if anyone has any other suggestions :P)

Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 AM

195 posts, read 350,660 times
Please don't do that commute, it's not sane and honestly Brickel is not "all that". It is just a bunch of half empty buildings surrounded by expensive restaurants and endless parking lots.

Las Olas would be a much shorter commute. You should try asking this question in the Broward forum.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 AM

21 posts, read 40,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
Please don't do that commute, it's not sane and honestly Brickel is not "all that". It is just a bunch of half empty buildings surrounded by expensive restaurants and endless parking lots.

Las Olas would be a much shorter commute. You should try asking this question in the Broward forum.
You are right about the long commute, but I don't agree with the "half-empty buildings" statement. From what I've understood, most of those half-empty buildings are now occupied, as more people have been moving into the area in recent years. Brickell appears to be an up and coming neighborhood.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post

Yea you are a few years behind the times. The buildings in Brickell are not half empty. Occupancy rates in Brickell are in the 90% range.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,833,137 times
I think if you have ajob in Coral Springs, you should live somewhere in the same county (Broward). Miami is a whole different county.

Of course, some people commute from Miami to greater Fort Lauderdale (I have a few coworkers that do this), but it gets old pretty fast.

Nice towns near Coral Springs:
- Coral Springs itself (although it has some areas that aren't all that)
- Parkland
- Weston
- Plantation
- Fort Lauderdale itself
- Lauderdale by the Sea
- even Boca isn't that far away

If you want to have entertainment, beach, and don't want to spend hours commuting (and instead spend more time on the beach), then look into Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale as someone mentioned before. Or Lauderdale by the Sea, although it is a little quieter than Fort Lauderdale proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami