Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 17,169 times

Advertisements

I was so happy to find this forum as an outlet for my feelings on this place. I am a New Yorker and moved here three years ago for work. I have encountered nothing but rude, stupid, inefficient, tacky people here. You can't eat a decent meal that is not at some fancy stupid restaurant where people roll up in Maseratis with fake body parts- no great hole in the walls- definitely not a foodie town. It is disgustingly nouveau riche here and I loathe it. I cried for my first year and a half year every day- every time something in your house breaks or needs fixing, it is a HUGE drama to get someone competent to fix it. Nobody speaks English and people are just plain rude, and generally, humorless. The way people dress completely freaks me out- just so incredibly tacky and gross. It is so hard to connect with cool people here- I am a really friendly person and struggle to make conversation. I have been taking the same spin class at the gym for two years and it is just now that the same ladies in the class will barely mutter a hello. I do find that Miami natives are super nice and remember Miami quite differently. In general, I find Florida completely devoid of charm. No real history to speak of except for cocaine. I do love Key West though and find that quite beautiful. I am planning on leaving Miami very very soon and run back to New York. I just don't get it here and never will...people in New York are actually ten times nicer than here. You walk into a shop here and the stupid shopgirl looks at you like you have ten heads if you're not in Gucci. Also- what is with getting fully DECKED out to go the mall? Completely insane. Get me out of here. The only time I like it here is during Art Basel- at least some people with taste, style, and intelligence are in town. This place sucks...would rather live in Newark than here.

Oh and the weather sucks. who wants heat all year? no sense of time passing whatsoever. Very strange. Miss the seasons. Sick of the humidity, not to mention the DISGUSTING bugs.

Last edited by mbmouse; 11-02-2007 at 08:29 PM..

Old 10-26-2007, 01:07 PM

65 posts, read 232,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork44 View Post
I was so happy to find this forum as an outlet for my feelings on this place. I am a New Yorker and moved here three years ago for work. I have encountered nothing but rude, stupid, inefficient, tacky people here.

You can't eat a decent meal that is not at some fancy stupid restaurant where people roll up in Maseratis with fake body parts- no great hole in the walls- definitely not a foodie town. It is disgustingly nouveau riche here and I loathe it. I cried for my first year and a half year every day- every time something in your house breaks or needs fixing, it is a HUGE drama to get someone competent to fix it.

Nobody speaks English and people are just plain rude, and generally, humorless. The way people dress completely freaks me out- just so incredibly tacky and gross. It is so hard to connect with cool people here- I am a really friendly person and struggle to make conversation. I have been taking the same spin class at the gym for two years and it is just now that the same ladies in the class will barely mutter a hello.

I do find that Miami natives are super nice and remember Miami quite differently. In general, I find Florida completely devoid of charm. No real history to speak of except for cocaine. I do love Key West though and find that quite beautiful. I am planning on leaving Miami very very soon and run back to New York. I just don't get it here and never will...people in New York are actually ten times nicer than here.

You walk into a shop here and the stupid shop girl looks at you like you have ten heads if you're not in Gucci. Also- what is with getting fully DECKED out to go the mall? Completely insane. Get me out of here. The only time I like it here is during Art Basel- at least some people with taste, style, and intelligence are in town. This place sucks...would rather live in Newark than here.
BETTER

You're absolutely right, the largest number of International Banks in America... No history AT ALL

The Gateway to the Caribbean the busiest sea ports in all of the U.S.A, the remarkable history of a once Seminole inhabited land turned into a true metropolis by the industrial revolution... No history at all

Only 30 minutes from the Venice of America...

The city that creates such enticing musings that there are genres of music that pervade our culture and counter cultures today... No history at all

You're going to have to realize that Miami isn't the Lower East Side, Miami isn't TriBeCa, Miami is that place where everyone wants to play vacation every day.

Miami doesn't suck just because you don't like it. That means that you're not fond of Miami, that's it.

Hey, I grew up in NYC and I haven't been there since 2001 because I wouldn't ask to go there unless I was getting paid serious money to go, because there are things about NYC that I don't like...

And I know you're just being irrational and emotional because NO ONE likes Newark...

Just pick your head up and live your life the way you want to live, you want to leave? Leave! But, I warn you... Jack frost will be waiting for you back in NY.

Who knows? You may be back in a year or two just to unwind for a week. Every now and then we may burn our bridges, but rarely our boats.

-Ciao

Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM

975 posts, read 3,738,546 times
I never understood New Yorkers who get mad because some other place doesn't replicate the New York experience. And anyway there are tons of New Yorkers in So. Fla, and I even saw some Hassidim at the airport there--maybe OP should go live in Utah or Alaska for awhile and see what real culture shock is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm60616 View Post
BETTER

You're absolutely right, the largest number of International Banks in America... No history AT ALL

The Gateway to the Caribbean the busiest sea ports in all of the U.S.A, the remarkable history of a once Seminole inhabited land turned into a true metropolis by the industrial revolution... No history at all

Only 30 minutes from the Venice of America...

The city that creates such enticing musings that there are genres of music that pervade our culture and counter cultures today... No history at all

You're going to have to realize that Miami isn't the Lower East Side, Miami isn't TriBeCa, Miami is that place where everyone wants to play vacation every day.

Miami doesn't suck just because you don't like it. That means that you're not fond of Miami, that's it.

Hey, I grew up in NYC and I haven't been there since 2001 because I wouldn't ask to go there unless I was getting paid serious money to go, because there are things about NYC that I don't like...

And I know you're just being irrational and emotional because NO ONE likes Newark...

Just pick your head up and live your life the way you want to live, you want to leave? Leave! But, I warn you... Jack frost will be waiting for you back in NY.

Who knows? You may be back in a year or two just to unwind for a week. Every now and then we may burn our bridges, but rarely our boats.

-Ciao

Old 10-26-2007, 01:58 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,410,197 times
Quote:
I was so happy to find this forum as an outlet for my feelings on this place. I am a New Yorker and moved here three years ago for work. I have encountered nothing but rude, stupid, inefficient, tacky people here. You can't eat a decent meal that is not at some fancy stupid restaurant where people roll up in Maseratis with fake body parts- no great hole in the walls- definitely not a foodie town. It is disgustingly nouveau riche here and I loathe it. I cried for my first year and a half year every day- every time something in your house breaks or needs fixing, it is a HUGE drama to get someone competent to fix it. Nobody speaks English and people are just plain rude, and generally, humorless. The way people dress completely freaks me out- just so incredibly tacky and gross. It is so hard to connect with cool people here- I am a really friendly person and struggle to make conversation. I have been taking the same spin class at the gym for two years and it is just now that the same ladies in the class will barely mutter a hello. I do find that Miami natives are super nice and remember Miami quite differently. In general, I find Florida completely devoid of charm. No real history to speak of except for cocaine. I do love Key West though and find that quite beautiful. I am planning on leaving Miami very very soon and run back to New York. I just don't get it here and never will...people in New York are actually ten times nicer than here. You walk into a shop here and the stupid shopgirl looks at you like you have ten heads if you're not in Gucci. Also- what is with getting fully DECKED out to go the mall? Completely insane. Get me out of here. The only time I like it here is during Art Basel- at least some people with taste, style, and intelligence are in town. This place sucks...would rather live in Newark than here.
Sorry that you didn't like Miami. Good luck and stay safe.
Regards,
A Friendly Miamian

Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 PM

I feel bad dissing a whole city based on my bad experiences. Maybe Miami is just not my speed...I would never think anywhere could replicate New York, I guess it's just that there are more like minded people there and more things to do. If anyone knows of any great restaurants other than Nobu and Prime 112, I would love to try them. I will say that we have discovered the whole Morningside area and really do like it up there. Much more of an urban vibe and people are nice. I guess it's about living where you feel inspired and just feel more inspired in NYC.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,284,229 times
Quote:
I feel bad dissing a whole city based on my bad experiences. Maybe Miami is just not my speed...I would never think anywhere could replicate New York, I guess it's just that there are more like minded people there and more things to do. If anyone knows of any great restaurants other than Nobu and Prime 112, I would love to try them. I will say that we have discovered the whole Morningside area and really do like it up there. Much more of an urban vibe and people are nice. I guess it's about living where you feel inspired and just feel more inspired in NYC.

No where is going to replicate any other place...Nashville won't replicate Miami, and San Fransisco can't replicate Chicago...and New YoRK can't replicate Paris.......Just have to find the good in all areas you live in while you are there....Good Luck

Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,416 times
Quote:
Well, you do have some good points. I was born here in Fort Lauderdale. 39 years in Broward now. It really gets to me how the people here are so un-friendly. I've done a little travelling around the states and have found that the people here are the rudest.
For example, I took a walk down the street in Jersey City. (It's not New York, but close enough.) Nearly half of the people on the street smiled and said hello. (about 20 people within 4 blocks) OK, back to Fort Lauderdale, I can't even get the woman at the supermarket to crack a smile???? WTF, IS IT IN THE WATER?
I don't have an answer. I wish we had the "Southern Charm" that the south is so famous for, but I think it gets diluted by the time you hit WPB.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:40 PM

I know...I almost break into tears when people are nice to me here. I was just down south for a music festival and everyone was so nice...in a real way, not a Stepford way (I was just in Michigan too, which felt very Stepfordish indeed). Think we should start a be nice to people campaign in Miami- but maybe people are too busy getting plastic surgery and buying cars from the Collection to stop and say hi to each other? Messed up.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:50 PM

458 posts, read 602,028 times
Women in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale smile at me all the time. I found the supermarkets and my gym full of very friendly women.

Sorry you had such a bad time in Miami. Sounds like NY will be more your cup of tea.

By the way....certainly the weather was not a surprise to you was it? I don't think Miami pulled a bait and switch as far as being hot is concerned!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:54 PM

3,980 posts, read 10,484,384 times
alot of NY people, i have noticed, just canr be happy outside of ny. accept that and move back

floridians arent as nice. just a fact. part of it is, in ny, everyone living on top of each other,so many single, they have to be nice to meet people.

here, everyone is in a couple, goes to their own home, so stay away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami