Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:42 PM

65 posts, read 232,396 times

Advertisements

You guys who complain that Miami has rude and unintelligent people are hilarious... I live in the wealthiest neighborhood in Chicago BY FAR and I'm surprised if I can walk past someone while on a dog walk and they say hi or respond to a hello. Don't even think about saying hello in a building lobby or a store... But, you'll never see me saying people here are rude, it's just a different culture. If you want the mid-American suburban mentality then move to the Carolinas or Tennessee, but cities tend to have people who are naturally standoffish.

And about the lack of intelligence factor. Collectively Americans are the most unintelligent citizens of an industrialized nation.

Does Miami have it's bad points? Yes. Does it have its good points? Yes.

And one more thing.

A four year degree isn't going to guarantee success, so just because you have one doesn't mean you're entitled to success or a high paying job. If you're truly competitive you'll stand out anywhere.

Excuses, excuses... Unless you're coming out of poverty I don't think you deserve ANY sympathy. Need a high paying job? Start a business or goto a better school, get a specialized degree and then try the job market.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
I'm not going to lie, I have found people in Boca have this "plastic" tendency, but still,if you have the right attitude, you tend to attract good no matter where you are. I think people are much nicer on the west side of the city than the east.

I have to say though, that Publix on Young's Circle in Hollywood is a freak show. I have even kind of seen subtle hints of prostitution around there . The crazy mix of people there is more of a clash than a blend. Let's put it like this; it doesn't work. Every city has a part of town that's like that. Every city has a part of town thats a bit snobby too (I think for us this would be parts of Weston), and every city has a part of town where people are just "normal" and down to earth (I think Coral Springs, Davie, come to mind). Miami is kind of an exception to this rule, but even there, you tend to attract what you want to attract, like anywhere else.

It's really not about "negative" or "positive", but about being realistic.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 PM

199 posts, read 220,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
Count me in as one who agrees with you both .... you have a negative crappy attitude like some of the posters on this forum and negative crappy people will follow you around in life . I live in Boca which is supposedly full of old cranky , wealthy , white Jewish people and our Publix as well is full of friendly people ... I do run into exceptions from time to time , but even those old geezers can be cool and love to share their "old war stories " when growing up in Long Island or Brooklyn !!!

We tend to lump all of South Florida as Miami , when this is not the case and even in Miami I have found friendly people .... I find that once Hispanics get to know you they can be exceptionally friendly .... yes even in Miami !!!

We need more posters like JimKing and Ft.Lauderdale on this forum and less .... well let me not mention names ... LOL !!
I have to agree, we live in west Boca and have no trouble meeting people and making friends. Our best friends live in Naples, the capital of what people on this forum say is nasty, and they love it. Every time we visit we have people say hi in the markets, at the beach.

Maybe it is our lifestyle, we are into every outdoor activity you can think of. Maybe that gets us around happy people.

Or perhaps people are looking for why they are unhappy, and naturally it must be where they live, where they would rather live, the people in their town, its too hot, too cold....anything but them. I remember a recent poll that said 70% of Americans rated themselves as unhappy or moderately unhappy. So the odds are that many people on any forum will be negative.

When you have posters on the Florida forum who have already moved and still come back months and years later to join in negative posting, that to me is strange. One lady even posted a picture of her holding her old Florida license plate and waving goodbye. I can't imagine wallowing in negativity like that. You didn't like Florida, you moved, let it go.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM

65 posts, read 232,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
I find that once Hispanics get to know you they can be exceptionally friendly .... yes even in Miami !!!
You're absolutely right, if they see that you're genuinely interested in what they're about they'll become interested in you.

I noticed the same thing in California, when you ask someone who's Hispanic where they're from they don't want to respond with Mexico, if applicable. They'll say California... So you say "No, I mean what's your heritage?" and they say quixotically "Mexican", so you respond "Awesome!". As soon as you do that they drop their guard and they'll talk about living there and moving here until the cows come home...

If we were always around people similar us we'd live mundane and terribly simple lives.

My advice to everyone here is whenever you get in a cab and you see the driver isn't white or black American ask them "where are you from?". Being in cabs alone has taught me that many immigrants from Ethiopia moved to America because of the civil war and about life in Sri Lanka. My point being, the world is far bigger than the suburbs and to only focus on one locality is to enslave the human spirit...

There should be laws against that!

Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to malcolm60616 again
. .

Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 PM

199 posts, read 220,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm60616 View Post
You're absolutely right, if they see that you're genuinely interested in what they're about they'll become interested in you.

I noticed the same thing in California, when you ask someone who's Hispanic where they're from they don't want to respond with Mexico, if applicable. They'll say California... So you say "No, I mean what's your heritage?" and they say quixotically "Mexican", so you respond "Awesome!". As soon as you do that they drop their guard and they'll talk about living there and moving here until the cows come home...

If we were always around people similar us we'd live mundane and terribly simple lives.

My advice to everyone here is whenever you get in a cab and you see the driver isn't white or black American ask them "where are you from?". Being in cabs alone has taught me that many immigrants from Ethiopia moved to America because of the civil war and about life in Sri Lanka. My point being, the world is far bigger than the suburbs and to only focus on one locality is to enslave the human spirit...

There should be laws against that!
Most people of hispanic heritage are some of the nicest people around. They are really into family and their children.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:23 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork44 View Post
You can't eat a decent meal that is not at some fancy stupid restaurant where people roll up in Maseratis with fake body parts.
You mean like Honda body parts on a Maserati frame?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You mean like Honda body parts on a Maserati frame?

That's hysterical! And so true!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM

564 posts, read 1,901,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm60616 View Post
Negative people seek negativity, these are the people that you avoid because they thrive on negativity, they get their jollies from complaining with the negative people.

They feel superior when they put down other people, places, or things...

They lack the ability to see the beauty in all things. The negative person sees Little Havana as a place where there's not enough English spoken, the positive person sees Little Havana as one of the most culturally unique neighborhoods in America.

They don't understand that the difference between positivity and being delusional.

And more importantly, they're always satisfied with being where they are. On the mountain of life they seek plateaus in everything and have no true ambition, they see the young professionals as "wannabes" opposed to corporate climbers (they're too blind to see that those "wannabes" will soon be their bosses). They see good presentation as superficialness without taking the time to actually engage themselves with the people with the BMWs and Infinities... And, they do not understand that most of those people have that presentation to get exactly what they want, it's a standard for success set by society as a whole; not the individual.

When they see people who are focused on making money they call them selfish as well as self-centered, then at the end of the month they're complaining about gas prices, living near crime, and shopping at places with sub-par service...

It's pretty easy to see who the negative ones on here are, my advice is to simply ignore them, let them wither away wherever they are.

It may not sound pretty, but I stick behind my words 100%.
I'm sorry I arrived to this thread so late, but I had to address this post. You nailed it! Misery loves company.

Someone who is miserable here in Miami would love nothing more than to hear the same from others so that they can blame their miserable life on something other than themselves. While there are truths about the warped economy, corruption, crime, and the wealth gap, these are not unique problems only to Miami. The old saying, "adopt, adapt, and improve" comes to mind. If you decide that its easier to just complain, good luck to you, because you will be complaining the rest of your life.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
I'm sorry I arrived to this thread so late, but I had to address this post. You nailed it! Misery loves company.

Someone who is miserable here in Miami would love nothing more than to hear the same from others so that they can blame their miserable life on something other than themselves. While there are truths about the warped economy, corruption, crime, and the wealth gap, these are not unique problems only to Miami. The old saying, "adopt, adapt, and improve" comes to mind. If you decide that its easier to just complain, good luck to you, because you will be complaining the rest of your life.
How can that be true in every case?........If people are being rude in public places and while driving then "you" have "no" control of that........the only thing you control is the people that you have in your life (at work, in family, friends) ....but if i said people overall were mean or drove bad in Miami then i could be 100% correct based on my own experience.........If i see some guy pissing in an elevator am i supposed to still say to myself that this place has nice clean and friendly people? ....maybe if i keep saying positive things to myself it will make this guy pull his pants up and clean the elevator right?......LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami