Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times

Advertisements

Caucasian may have been a better word to use than white. We are all one race(the human race) just that melanin makes the differences in skin complexion, we as a society have been raised with different values and thoughts than others.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
We are all one race(the human race) just that melanin makes the differences in skin complexion
PC bullcrap. We are all one SPECIES, not one race. What's wrong with having different races? Race is mostly based upon bone structure anyway. Why is it considered ok for there to be different breeds of animals but not ok for there to be different races of humans?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 PM

984 posts, read 4,314,917 times
I think y'all should just stop this sort of inflammatory talk and think a little about these brilliant quotes: "I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.", "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. ; "Drowning in silence, we are brothers and sisters drowning each other. Once we decide to transform ourselves from fearful caterpillars into courageous butterflies, we will be able to bridge the racial gulf and move forward together towards a bright and colorful future." - Eva Paterson.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 PM

50 posts, read 56,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
PC bullcrap. We are all one SPECIES, not one race. What's wrong with having different races? Race is mostly based upon bone structure anyway. Why is it considered ok for there to be different breeds of animals but not ok for there to be different races of humans?
Are you reading science books from the 1700's or books that have been edited by the KKK? HA-ha!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM

93 posts, read 312,123 times
Lets face it, south Florida ain't like the hoods those of us who are WASPs grew up in, neither is NYC, so I just posed the ? just to see what hoods would be most similar to some place I grew up in (grew up in suburban Charlotte, myself) should i choose to return to a hood like that.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM

283 posts, read 521,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Because there aren't any, scientifically-speaking. There are no "races" (subspecies) in humans. Physical traits are superficial as most genetic diversity is found *within* different groups of people rather than between them (google "Human Genome Project" for more).

(*chiming in while on my first FL vacation*)

Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
Because there aren't any, scientifically-speaking. There are no "races" (subspecies) in humans.
There are indeed races. They are easily distinguishable. Even a skull can be racially identified. And highly distinct behavior patterns are found throughout the world which correlate directly with race.

Quote:
Physical traits are superficial as most genetic diversity is found *within* different groups of people rather than between them (google "Human Genome Project" for more).
That lie actually has its own name ("Lewontin's Fallacy") and it has an entire Wikipedia page dedicated to it. If genetic diversity is greater within groups than between groups, the groups can still be meaningfully differentiated.

Human Genetic Diversity: Lewontin's Fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore, it turns out the premise is wrong anyway.

"Deep sequencing of the human genome shows that there is actually more variation between groups than within groups."

Information Processing: Rare variants and human genetic diversity

Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 PM

313 posts, read 647,058 times
Race is a made up concept, there's no getting around that. There is no biological or genetic basis for race. You can't tell me how much races there are, no one can. In Brazil they classify people with hundreds of different races while we use a small handful in the US. The greek and romans used to think the climate affected your race. It wasn't till the 19th century that race became a biological concept. It's always been a legal/cultural mess, I recommend you guys stop thinking it really matters.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
There is no biological or genetic basis for race. You can't tell me how much races there are, no one can.
The spectrum of light is infinite. Does that mean red and blue are not distinct colors?

The genetic basis of race has already been established. There is nothing left to debate except whether its discussion will hurt too many feelings.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 PM

313 posts, read 647,058 times
Nothing's been established and your support of a scientific critique is meaningless.

Last edited by unclealbertt; 03-26-2013 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami