Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM

12 posts, read 79,871 times

Advertisements

Hello All

Hubby and I were both born and raised in New Jersey. We have been thinking of moving out of the state for some time now....soaring property taxes, soaring car insurance, too many regulations, etc.. We had been looking as far south as the Carolina's but an opportunity has come along for him in the South Miami, Coral Gables area. It would be a huge move for us since both are families are mainly NJ and north.

A little about us -- mid 40's and early 50's. One adult-child (ha!) who still lives at home and one in University in NJ. One of them may be moving with us but where we live will not be based on their likes or dislikes. We are looking to rent at first until we get a good feel for the areas. A single family home would be ideal but since it's just a rental, I'd be OK with a townhouse or condo. I am a practical person, so I'd like to avoid throwing big money away on rent. We are both beach people and enjoy many outdoor activities -- fishing, gardening, hiking or just late evening strolls. We are not club goers and enjoy more of a quite, simple life.

We took an extended trip down recently to scout out places to live and my head is still spinning! Hubby would love to live in the Keys and commute but after reading several threads posted here, it just doesn't seem practical. We drove north from the Keys thru Florida City, Homestead and Redmond since I had read there were many organic farms in that area. Yikes -- not at all what I pictured! We also went through Cutler Bay and Palmetto Bay -- east of Route 1 seems to be a nice area but I worry it's a little too "family" for us at this stage in our life.

We went thru South Miami (? Miracle Mile ?) -- too city for me, I'd go mad! We headed kind of north west to Kendall which was roomy but too far from the beach. Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Hialeah(no way) -- way too many apartments and condos! Then we drove back east to the ocean and hit Hollywood which had a nice area that I think was east of Route 1? Then headed back south towards Miami -- back and forth over to the barrier island and back..... which is where it all started to be pretty much a blur.

Any feedback or suggestions to help us narrow down the areas to look in would be greatly appreciated! School districts are not a concern since we have no school age children anymore. Hubby doesn't mind a 30 minute or longer commute as long as it's home to someplace peaceful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
Is your husband getting a job in Miami?

If its for retirement the Southwest coast of Florida sounds much more like you.

If your ok with a condo why not try to find a spot on the beach. Places like Hallandale Beach and Sunny Isles are not that hectic.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 AM

I wish it was for retirement but that is still a ways off! He has a job offer in Miami.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,329,175 times
What is your budget and requirements (beds/baths?)

South Miami and Coral Gables were too city like?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoaster View Post
Hello All

Hubby and I were both born and raised in New Jersey. We have been thinking of moving out of the state for some time now....soaring property taxes, soaring car insurance, too many regulations, etc.. We had been looking as far south as the Carolina's but an opportunity has come along for him in the South Miami, Coral Gables area. It would be a huge move for us since both are families are mainly NJ and north.

A little about us -- mid 40's and early 50's. One adult-child (ha!) who still lives at home and one in University in NJ. One of them may be moving with us but where we live will not be based on their likes or dislikes. We are looking to rent at first until we get a good feel for the areas. A single family home would be ideal but since it's just a rental, I'd be OK with a townhouse or condo. I am a practical person, so I'd like to avoid throwing big money away on rent. We are both beach people and enjoy many outdoor activities -- fishing, gardening, hiking or just late evening strolls. We are not club goers and enjoy more of a quite, simple life.

We took an extended trip down recently to scout out places to live and my head is still spinning! Hubby would love to live in the Keys and commute but after reading several threads posted here, it just doesn't seem practical. We drove north from the Keys thru Florida City, Homestead and Redmond since I had read there were many organic farms in that area. Yikes -- not at all what I pictured! We also went through Cutler Bay and Palmetto Bay -- east of Route 1 seems to be a nice area but I worry it's a little too "family" for us at this stage in our life.

We went thru South Miami (? Miracle Mile ?) -- too city for me, I'd go mad! We headed kind of north west to Kendall which was roomy but too far from the beach. Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Hialeah(no way) -- way too many apartments and condos! Then we drove back east to the ocean and hit Hollywood which had a nice area that I think was east of Route 1? Then headed back south towards Miami -- back and forth over to the barrier island and back..... which is where it all started to be pretty much a blur.

Any feedback or suggestions to help us narrow down the areas to look in would be greatly appreciated! School districts are not a concern since we have no school age children anymore. Hubby doesn't mind a 30 minute or longer commute as long as it's home to someplace peaceful!
Hi. School district can still be an indirect concern, in case you will want to sell your place a few years down the road. Better schools contribute to a more successful sale.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
I am also a little confused.

I can see how one can say that Sunny Isles (a great location IMO) or Brickell (another great location IMO) can be described as "too city".

Have you looked at Key Biscayne or Coconut Grove?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM

984 posts, read 4,319,176 times
It sounds like the Dadeland area would be a very good match, based on what was said; it isn't so suburban and not too urban (probably halfway between the two), the price is above average for housing/rental but not expensive mostly, and it's nice and quite safe and close to Gables/So. Miami (minimal commute). Also look into Coral Gables and South Miami themselves. Lastly, Key Biscayne would be a great choice for a high end budget.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:19 PM

Maybe it was just the parts of Coral Gables and South Miami we went through? We fanned out from from Miracle Mile. We came into Coral Gables by way of Route 1 so maybe that has also clouded my memory.

We'd need at least a 3 bedroom, 2 bath. Like I said, I don't want to spend a lot on rent so I'd like to stay under $2500......which is higher than my original thoughts of $2000.

I looked at Sunny Isle....just beautiful but it doesn't look like I could get anything decent and stay within my budget.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
$2500 for a three bedroom wont be easy in some of the more well known nicer areas but if you don't mind staying in the surburbs you will be fine. Plenty of safe areas to find some homes in. Have you thought about looking in Western Broward. Another area I would look at is Miami Springs.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM

169 posts, read 310,278 times
Dam not another one.
Please stay in coral gables or whatever rich area you plan on moving to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami