Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 AM

895 posts, read 1,704,001 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was wondering what you locals thought about the recent "Ultra Music Festival" escapade that was held in Bayfront Park recently. I attended this event myself and have done some analytical thinking on the topic. I figured I'd make a list of pros and cons, the way I see it.

Pros: Ultra brings a lot to the table as far as the economy goes. So if you were sitting in your apartment at eleven or so while the walls were shaking, keep in mind that the festival supports economic growth to some degree.
It is an interesting change in scenery. If you are an electronic music fan, I think it's at least worth the experience. If you're not, it's still worth noting that it breaks the monotony of a typical day.
A fair amount of attractive women migrate to the area for the festival. You may have had the opportunity to meet a cute European girl, etc.

Cons: Commercialization. I can't deny that Ultra is a prime example of the commercialization of the electronic music industry. I compare it to an airbrushed woman, some might care for the outside appearance, but there's not much going on there besides excessive packaging and artifical glamour.
Monotonous songs. Although I'm aware I didn't seek out the best acts due to going with a friend with different taste, I found the majority of songs I listened to to simply blend in with eachother. There wasn't much individuality involved in the production. Everything seemed to revolve around a generic build up and a "hard drop." This obviously gets tiring after a few hours.
Derelicts. I must also note an overwhelming amount of derelicts and irritants emerged from their caves to attend the festival. Many people who are most likely held in low regard in their area had the opportunity to let loose in a place where they wouldn't be judged.

Anyway, this is just my two cents on the topic. I'm curious to see what locals think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
It is good for the city overall and it brings in money and visitors. Even though I enjoy some electronic music you would never find me ever there at that place. Too much illegal drug use and the music is just too loud. I don't get this part of soceity at all. Why do we want to damage our ears and listen to ridiculously loud music in clubs or concerts when a normal volume level or even a slightly loud volume level is just fine. Never made sense to me. Like at a bar, it would be nice to not have to scream to have a normal conversation.

I also think the festival should at least be 18+ just way too much drinking and drug use which can't be controlled by any means.

Overall though not much violence and it does bring in money. The traffic is annoying but just stay away from the area for those weekends or if living there try to use mass transit when traffic is bad.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 AM

529 posts, read 1,146,218 times
I don't mind it. I think it's good for the city and exposes locals to electronic music. Of course it isn't anywhere near the best kind but it's better than nothing. I don't like the culture either. It's weird that I'm saying this but I wish it was really more hippy-ish and less a fusion of candy-kids bros and sluts. I imagine there was a lot of alcohol and ecstasy and pot.

Now a festival with psytrance, goa, psychedelic rock and mushrooms and LSD would be respectable and is something I would pay to go to....but I wouldn't pay anywhere near what people paid to go to ultra LOL.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,911,809 times
Too many druggies invade Miami proper and it is certainly not safe to walk around downtown Miami during Ultra. South Beach gets trashed with fliers everywhere.

I love house music but don't do drugs so I would never go to Ultra. Teenagers go there and get ****ed up and by the end of the evening there are passed out people everywhere from what I have heard from fellow classmates. Water bottles are $10. How is this even a respectable event?

I have met the owners of the event at a bar I once worked at and they all seemed pretty nice but I don't even think they would go to that **** show unless they were far away from the chaos in an super VIP area or something.

Just look up "girl making out with tree at ultra" to see why I would never go.

The only worse event in Miami is Urban Beach Weekend.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,947,097 times

Hardwell live at Ultra Music Festival 2013 - FULL HD Broadcast by UMF.TV - YouTube

Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,758,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Cons: Commercialization. I can't deny that Ultra is a prime example of the commercialization of the electronic music industry. I compare it to an airbrushed woman, some might care for the outside appearance, but there's not much going on there besides excessive packaging and artifical glamour.
Monotonous songs. Although I'm aware I didn't seek out the best acts due to going with a friend with different taste, I found the majority of songs I listened to to simply blend in with eachother. There wasn't much individuality involved in the production. Everything seemed to revolve around a generic build up and a "hard drop." This obviously gets tiring after a few hours.
I used to be all into electronic music in the late 1990s (when it was popular!) but I've never actually attended Ultra because I always associated the festival with commercialized "trance" music. I remember when the first couple of Ultras came along; people who were into the rave scene at the time said that Ultra was for commercialized Power 96 type of crap.

Now that I'm older, I would actually consider going to Ultra next year (for the first time ever). Not because I care about the music but because the whole atmosphere of the festival seems lively and fun. I would attend the festival mainly as a "stress-relief, forget about my problems, bills, debts and just have a good time" type of thing.

BTW, another thing you should add to your list of Cons: people just stand around fist-pumping the whole time. That sucks! If I were there I'd be dancing around.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 PM

984 posts, read 4,319,176 times
Quite frankly, the only thing I cared about this thing was: Arrests: 84 Arrested During First Weekend of Ultra Music Festival: Police | NBC 6 South Florida

Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,943,812 times
I pretty much ignored it.

I doubt there is much positive effect on the LOCAL economy. If you're a housekeeper at a hotel that's charging twice as much as usual, or a restaurant worker, you're not getting paid double. I doubt 7-eleven clerks get extra commissions due to the increased sales. If you're a professional, you might lose business because it's a headache for clients to get to your downtown office or for you to get out of the office to meet clients. I suppose if you're a drug dealer it would be a boon for your business! Most of the extra money probably goes to the corporate owners and event organizers and promoters outside of the local economy. Same with superbowls, by the way...

Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM

895 posts, read 1,704,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_zed View Post
I don't mind it. I think it's good for the city and exposes locals to electronic music. Of course it isn't anywhere near the best kind but it's better than nothing. I don't like the culture either. It's weird that I'm saying this but I wish it was really more hippy-ish and less a fusion of candy-kids bros and sluts. I imagine there was a lot of alcohol and ecstasy and pot.

Now a festival with psytrance, goa, psychedelic rock and mushrooms and LSD would be respectable and is something I would pay to go to....but I wouldn't pay anywhere near what people paid to go to ultra LOL.
You and I are on the same page on this.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,203,861 times
Entertainment for the rich...it's good for Miami's tourism though.

btw, everyone in Miami is pretty much stoned, so events like these don't make any difference. Only few people like me are against drugs... I'm a minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami