Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,750,221 times

Advertisements

Ok a little bit of back ground, we are buying a house in whispering pines, our dream location compared to what we can afford. The house is newly reno, yard is 9800 sf and it has a pool, it has an income source of 250 sf, and our living space is about 1500 sf. We are only two people in our late forties and early fifties so space should not be an issue. And we are relocating from Olympia heights which is central but really working class to further south but more like us. husband is Midwesterner and I am called gringa always because having been raised more American and having ivory skin,light blue green eyes.

BUT.... I am freaking out over small closets because it is a older home, and changing central location to something a bit more south. I am just wondering does anyone else feel these last minute, before closing cold feet? Logically I know I made an awesome choice, but emotionally I am all over the place.

Please share your experiences or thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,831,057 times
It is very common to have those feelings. I know of a lot of people that have experienced those same feelings, two even backed out of the deal in the last minute. Why are you moving from Olympia Heights to Whispering Pines/Cutler Bay, aren't they both working class, are there any other reasons?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM

984 posts, read 4,322,840 times
That's normal, If I mentioned the times I experienced similar things when signing rental agreements and closing. But don't worry, that's a very good area, and underrated - it's nearly Palmetto Bay standards of living for Cutler Bay prices; I've even trying to move to the south end of Palmetto Bay, just nearby, but didn't get it - 4 offers in 10 days more or less. If I could live there...

Regarding being in a farther south location, it would depend to where you guys would commute (if you could share the area it would help you in making the proper final decision). I've lived in Pinecrest a while back for some time, a relative commuted to Brickell and it was not great - nearly 25-30 minutes avg. on the US-1, pretty slow traffic. Kinda shoddy, but totally bearable - the distance was relatively short.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
It is very common to have those feelings. I know of a lot of people that have experienced those same feelings, two even backed out of the deal in the last minute. Why are you moving from Olympia Heights to Whispering Pines/Cutler Bay, aren't they both working class, are there any other reasons?
Yes, Cutler Bay (and Olympia Heights) are mostly working class neighborhoods. But the Whispering Pines area is mainly solidly middle class ($70-75k) while most of Olympia Heights is slightly more lower income ($45-55k).

Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 PM

@ straight shooter: we are moving because my dad owns this house we live in and he is declaring bankruptcy.. So even if we wanted to we could not buy it. I have lived in this house for over twenty years now and as sad as I am to leave it behind I am glad for a new change.

Olympia height is working class but solid Cuban, my Husband often feels out of place where as whispering pines feels a bit more white American. I am cool with both but for me whispering pines feels less tension area.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM

@JacobMaxx. hubby works downtown but he is thinking of taking the busway to dadeland metro into downtown. I am right now not employed so it is something I would think about in choosing a work place. We make enough right now that I am only looking at a part time or low level position for fun money. I once was a business owner that made six figures but we have decided to not live that lifestyle anymore.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Yeah, loads of people do that, at rush the Metrorail blasts through the US-1 corridor leaving the cars well behind. Plus the Busway has loads of lines and it's not bad at all. And driving would not that bad due to not being so much distance, and there's the Old Cutler Rd near that area, so he can shorten his total commute time depending on how bad or decent the traffic is in the US-1 (Google Maps Traffic and traffic cams can help). The only major problem is that the area near Cutler Bay/Palmetto Bay in West Perrine/Cutler Ridge (where the busway goes through) can be rough and unsafe, including in the Busway stations.

And for part-time jobs or something there are always a few positions in various sectors in the Dadeland area and in Coral Gables (Miracle Mile and Douglas Rd Station Area); (sometimes even in Cutler Bay and surrounding neighborhoods, depending on the sort of work), plus if needed you can always do freelance work on the web.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM

I was in the export heavy equipment and parts biz for nearly fifteen years... Yes I was that girl that played and loved my metal tonka truck.. I might just do that.

Thank you Jacob I will let Hubby know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami