Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:48 AM

251 posts, read 637,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Philly will become a greater city sooner or later....once they get rid of all the section 8 houses and clean up north philly...but that's not going to happen for a while....oh...and lets no forget the corrupted Philadelphia police....
North Philly isn't bothering anyone. Philly is still are better city than any place in Florida culturally speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
Philly has way more heart in it's farthest corner that found anywhere in Miami all the back down to Cuba.
Really? for somebody who loves "Philly" so much you sure spend a lot of time in the Miami forum!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:17 AM

353 posts, read 814,587 times
Dude listen...I never stated north bothered me...I grew up in north Philly and have been going back and forth to Miami since 2005...I got love for Philly but not in love with it....the city has change plenty and in reality its the people to blame not just the system or government ...it needs to change back what it was in the early 80's when it was way cleaner and where people actually got a long and there was more respect and if you had beef you would fight with your hands and shakes hands afterwards not pull out guns...that's lame..you take an a@# whipping and keep it moving .... I go to all hoods no matter what...No fear on this end....I just got tired of telling myself if I don't get my family out I'm going to end up doing something I can't reverse ...therefore I show people love everyday by not killing them...and even though I am 6''3 260 lb and very in shape, bless the right to bare arms and carry concealed .....at the end of the day.....its a no brainier and no comparing Miami to Philly...... and its obvious Philly has you stressed.....so it's ok man...I get it...you're stuck on the city that gave you that mentality and not willing to try new things or see new places....I mean so it seems...you probably go to other places quick to judge like yo that jawn is wack as hell,or that boi is corny so and and so forth.....that's on you my dude...your life...not mine.....but take it from me...travel a bit....be more open minded to see different places...don't bring that Philly ish to Miami no one really wants to hear that...just like I'm quick to pop a new yorker in his place here in Miami.....its like go back to NYC or Philly if you hate Miami...I just miss certain aspects of North Philadelphia is all (and I have a love hate relationship with the hoods, there are good people in the ghettos not all are bad) things I miss the most about living in an inner city is all the cheap things you can buy esp like finding mechanics to do quick car fixes stuff like that........but I see no point in living in an area where the quality of life or lifestyle just don't seem to fit my new agendas......

Last edited by Outofthematrix; 06-21-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 AM

P.S I had heart before Philly and Ill have heart after.....makes no difference to me..... no matter where in the world I am.....

Old 06-22-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Dude listen...I never stated north bothered me...I grew up in north Philly and have been going back and forth to Miami since 2005...I got love for Philly but not in love with it....the city has change plenty and in reality its the people to blame not just the system or government ...it needs to change back what it was in the early 80's when it was way cleaner and where people actually got a long and there was more respect and if you had beef you would fight with your hands and shakes hands afterwards not pull out guns...that's lame..you take an a@# whipping and keep it moving .... I go to all hoods no matter what...No fear on this end....I just got tired of telling myself if I don't get my family out I'm going to end up doing something I can't reverse ...therefore I show people love everyday by not killing them...and even though I am 6''3 260 lb and very in shape, bless the right to bare arms and carry concealed .....at the end of the day.....its a no brainier and no comparing Miami to Philly...... and its obvious Philly has you stressed.....so it's ok man...I get it...you're stuck on the city that gave you that mentality and not willing to try new things or see new places....I mean so it seems...you probably go to other places quick to judge like yo that jawn is wack as hell,or that boi is corny so and and so forth.....that's on you my dude...your life...not mine.....but take it from me...travel a bit....be more open minded to see different places...don't bring that Philly ish to Miami no one really wants to hear that...just like I'm quick to pop a new yorker in his place here in Miami.....its like go back to NYC or Philly if you hate Miami...I just miss certain aspects of North Philadelphia is all (and I have a love hate relationship with the hoods, there are good people in the ghettos not all are bad) things I miss the most about living in an inner city is all the cheap things you can buy esp like finding mechanics to do quick car fixes stuff like that........but I see no point in living in an area where the quality of life or lifestyle just don't seem to fit my new agendas......
I can see by the way you write like you've been traumatic experience of victimized by the Philadelphia Public school system just like me. But anyway, I don't live in Philly anymore. Unfortunately I live here in Florida. I'll tell you one thing I never met more lames in my life until I came here to live.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Really? for somebody who loves "Philly" so much you sure spend a lot of time in the Miami forum!
No I don't. Most of my post have been in the Orlando forum.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:59 AM

I was not aware that this has become English 101 and my grammar was being tested.....I write to fit your level of comprehension..... I hope you're a young boi... because if you're a grown adult this makes no sense right now....and I for one am in Miami....not Orlando so therefore that changes the scope of things on your end...maybe just maybe I can see why you feel there are so many lames ? Maybe you should come down to Miami dude....connect with a Philly native....Don't be so hard on yourself.....or its simple hop on a bus,plane or drive back to Philly...if you're a grown man just make plans to go back...I would never want to live anywhere else in Florida other than Miami....I've also exp LA California...and honesty that's going to be my next move...like San Diego..I would even consider Watts, Inglewood, Pico-Union, Baldwin Hills, Manchester Square, Pacoima , Bell, Compton I've already visited some of the so called hoods in cali...its not as bad as people think and I know people there,just like I still have connections and family in philly... Californians gangs are hyped up by media to make it out to be much more than what it is....when you stay in your lane and don't look for issues and don't have beef with others you're good....the other things that occurs are just a bunch of random ish that happens that's life...its kinda like Philly...most killings in Philly are all over either drugs or young boi's hating on other boi's, dudes don't randomly shoot up houses or shoot you while you're sitting in your car for nothing.....I do hope you understand that I am purposely spelling boys like boi for phillies slang sake.....since you are so philly you surely do get it right?

Last edited by Outofthematrix; 06-22-2013 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 08:25 AM

P.S I moved out here for the quality of life weather wise,and how clean they keep it...at least in the nice areas..and of course the women...here, like California, has some pretty amazing looking women...so as far as lames? I don't focus too much on the dudes out here or the ones that try to hard....most are posers anyhow.....Again and I quote " I moved out here for the quality of life" not the lifestyle...I could careless about the plastic people that go to Walmarts that have vending machines that sell body parts,or the tons of weirdo dudes or strange folks that are into strange things.....I don't acknowledge any of that....I do me...simple as that.....

Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Manhattan offers a worldwide career and cultural venue, if one can afford to enjoy especially the cultural aspect, while Miami has a much more narrow focus. That difference is the only regret: of course Miami is about three times less expensive, but if I could live as comfortably in Manhattan as in Miami, I might opt for Manhattan.

I wouldn't give any consideration to the rest of the NY-NJ area, but maybe Boston or perhaps DC. However a similar issue arises in a place like Boston: even if you can afford, say, $800,000 on housing, it is still an old piece of crap, even worse than a fixer-upper in Coral Gables, for example, with extreme cold to boot and higher taxes than in Miami, though you have access to a much wider range of, and better, educational facilities and culture. On the other hand, Miami is a young city, give it another century or two, it might join the ranks of the elite global cities someday, but not today.

To sum up, in the meantime you have to be rich to enjoy Miami, but super rich to enjoy Manhattan or even Boston (or London, etc.).

Of course if the criteria is family and friends, then it's a different set of considerations.

In the end, though, rich is in the heart.

Good Luck!
Miami is 3 times less expensive? Sorry Bale, your my man (pause) but im gonna have to dispute that one. Based on what? I can find rents in the outer boroughs that are on par with Miami. I also lose the car, which means no maintenance cost, no petrol expense and no insurance expense. Most buildings also include water and heat, I believe the MTA monthly pass 112 a month now. Food is also cheaper. You do pick up a city tax which I don't mind. I can walk out of my apartment, hop a train and be anywhere in the city without having to drive, I know where my tax dollars are going and I don't mind one bit.

With that said, the same goes in Miami, if you are willing to live a life that doesn't reflect the glamours life you see on TV in relation to Miami, then you can live here for a decent rent too. But that comes with long communities, ugly cookie cutter neighborhoods and in some instances, places that may be unsafe. Have a friend that lives in the west section of the grove. He has been jumped for his money twice now and his girl once or twice too.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Miami is 3 times less expensive? Sorry Bale, your my man (pause) but im gonna have to dispute that one. Based on what? I can find rents in the outer boroughs that are on par with Miami.
I expressly italized Manhattan, twice, and I expressly disregarded anything else in the New York area. The italics are highly meaningful, that's why I used them, twice.

I am comparing buy prices for units in residential buildings, around 1500-2500 square feet, between Brickell and the Upper East Side (which is not the most expensive neighborhood in Manhattan). Generally speaking, Brickell goes for $350-$400 per square foot (at least around six months ago), while Manhattan goes for around $1000 per square foot. You can also find crap in Brickell for less than $350-$400 and crap in Manhattan for around $800.

So maybe not three times as much, but around 2.5-2.85x.

I agree that rents in the same two neighborhoods are about the same, but still you get more square feet per dollar even in Brickell.

No doubt that Manhattan beats Miami with a stick in terms of culture, depth of jobs market, etc. And even Brickell is a pinky finger nail on Manhattan's hand.

But I'll take Miami in terms of warmth and taxation since I can't really afford Manhattan as I would like it.

And not even Brickell, still not worth it to me, I'm more the $200 per square foot type guy.

If I understood correctly, the OP in this thread asked about personal experiences, impressions and preferences, so I based my remarks on my personal experiences, impressions, and preferences.

Last edited by bale002; 06-25-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami