Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 PM

35 posts, read 55,077 times

Advertisements

Hello all :-)
I am a 45 year old married man with three kids. We currently reside on Utah. We aren't happy with it and would like to move to Florida. We attempted it in 2009 but our timing was clearly bad, as a result we were forced to move back here after only about 8 months. We have regretted it ever since. I am retired military (U.S Air Force). We are very unsatisfied with our current location, and want to go back to Florida. Essentially my question is: Here we are like four years later, I know the unemployment rate has dropped since 2009. What are our chances of making it work this time around? We would obviously make every attempt possible to get a job lined up for at least one of us prior to our arrival. But if that proves to be not possible do we risk it? Or play it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Why Miami? Florida is a big state. Did you used to live in Miami?
You got one thing right though. Don't even think about moving here until somebody has a good job. Cost of living in Miami will be much much higher than it is in Utah. The two can't compare.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:25 AM

529 posts, read 1,145,436 times
What did you like about Miami during those 8 months you were here? Why did you move back?And I don't know about the unemployment rate having dropped. Has it really? Supposedly it doesn't count the people that have given up looking for jobs (a lot).

I say risk it and move to some other city in Florida if you can't make it in Miami. What area of Utah do you live in? Rural? Perhaps you wouldn't mind living outside of the big city like some of us and it'd be better for you financially. Even I think I should pack my bags and head to middle of nowhere florida sometimes.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 AM

Default posters response

We actually were in Tampa the first time. We've never been to Miami. We are open to anywhere in Florida. I have placed this identical post in the Tampa forum, and the Cape Coral forum. The only city in Florida I would prefer to stay away from is Jacksonville. I have heard nothing but negative things about that area. We are currently living in Salt Lake City, Utah. And before anybody asks, we don't like it because we are water people. Utah is a desert, it's okay up in the high country but in the valley we don't find it appealing at all. And so, Miami is a large city, we figured the metropolitan areas would be easier to find employment. I am however definitely not opposed to small town and or rural living. As a matter of fact, I'm a fan of it:-)

Old 08-10-2013, 11:23 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeberlien View Post
We actually were in Tampa the first time. We've never been to Miami. We are open to anywhere in Florida. I have placed this identical post in the Tampa forum, and the Cape Coral forum. The only city in Florida I would prefer to stay away from is Jacksonville. I have heard nothing but negative things about that area. We are currently living in Salt Lake City, Utah. And before anybody asks, we don't like it because we are water people. Utah is a desert, it's okay up in the high country but in the valley we don't find it appealing at all. And so, Miami is a large city, we figured the metropolitan areas would be easier to find employment. I am however definitely not opposed to small town and or rural living. As a matter of fact, I'm a fan of it:-)
As my screen name states I am from Miami but I have to tell you right from the get go Miami is nothing like Tampa. It is a chaotic frenzied metropolis of almost 6 million people. You haven't stated what type of Employment you are seeking either. Do not move to Miami without secure employment! It will be the most miserable experience.
I can appreciatte your love of water but Miami is best to be enjoyed when you can enjoy our beaches and water and not having to worry about bills.
I suggest you come visit first and see if Miami is right for you. A lot of people are put off that Miami has so many hispanics or that Spanish is spoken as if it's like breathing.
That being said it is one of the most dynamic and interesting cities in our nation. You can not create another city in the US like Miami.
Come visit first and best of luck to you where ever you wind up!

PS: I wouldn't even let my dog live in Jacksonville! You think Utah is bad?

Old 08-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Default Response from poster

I spent 20 years in the Air Force fixing jets, among other things. So, my skill set is essentially turning a wrench. I am not necessarily interested in fixing jets, or turning a wrench period. Put it this way, I am willing to to do whatever. Flip burgers if need be :-)

Old 08-10-2013, 02:47 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
I spent 20 years in the Air Force fixing jets, among other things. So, my skill set is essentially turning a wrench. I am not necessarily interested in fixing jets, or turning a wrench period. Put it this way, I am willing to to do whatever. Flip burgers if need be :-)
Well Miami is one of the biggest aviation centers in the world. Tons of aviation jobs all over southeast Florida. However the flipping burger statement if not sarcastic is a bit worrisome. Miami is a very expensive place to live. If say you and your wife both had $30k jobs you would living in an below average area of town and your kids would likely attend some very sub par public schools. I suggest you focus your search on Tampa and other areas of Florida you are familiar with. If you want to seriously consider Miami then come down and visit. It is nothing like Tampa and really Miami is nothing like any city in the U.S. both the good and bad things about it. The best comparison to Miami is calling Miami a small version of LA.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:47 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Utah to Miami is a huge change. A friend of mine moved back (he grew up in Miami) to Miami from Salt Lake City three years ago. He still hasn't found permanent work. Luckily he was able to move his family in with his mom to save money. I don't think he realized how much Miami has changed since he left 15 years ago. I think there are easier transition places in Florida for you to move to like Sarasota, Tampa and Jacksonville. The west cost of Florida is more like the midwest. The Panhandle of Florida over to Jacksonville is more like the South. And Palm Beach down to Miami is more like the Northeast.

South Florida will be a huge adjustment to where you are living now. The other cities are also much cheaper to live compared to Miami. Don't be surprised if you move to Miami and your car insurance doubles if not triples to what you are paying now in Utah.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Utah to Miami is a huge change. A friend of mine moved back (he grew up in Miami) to Miami from Salt Lake City three years ago. He still hasn't found permanent work. Luckily he was able to move his family in with his mom to save money. I don't think he realized how much Miami has changed since he left 15 years ago. I think there are easier transition places in Florida for you to move to like Sarasota, Tampa and Jacksonville. The west cost of Florida is more like the midwest. The Panhandle of Florida over to Jacksonville is more like the South. And Palm Beach down to Miami is more like the Northeast.

South Florida will be a huge adjustment to where you are living now. The other cities are also much cheaper to live compared to Miami. Don't be surprised if you move to Miami and your car insurance doubles if not triples to what you are paying now in Utah.
I agree with doggiebus. I wish i found this forum before we moved to miami ;-).

Old 08-10-2013, 05:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:

When you have 3 children to support you better plan better. Flipping burgers isn't going to support a family in a podunk central FL town, never mind Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami