Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 PM

14 posts, read 27,704 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are wanting to move to the Homestead area. We just need a nice 1 bedroom/1bath apartment for $500-$700, preferably allow use to use 2 parking spots for one car and one truck. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 PM

Also, here's a little background on me. I'm 23, grew up in southern Indiana. I have been to Florida about a dozen times in vacation, but not as far as Miami. I started beekeeping four years ago and the last two summers I've worked for a commercial beekeeper and honey producer in Vermont. I have a beekeeping business plan for which there is a market for almost everywhere. I will get a normal job lined up before moving( maybe a fancy seafood restaurant, good tips and discount on food?), until my business starts going. My wife will be working as well.

I love hot weather, seafood, fishing, snorkeling, scuba, and want to learn how to sail. Also I would be able to keep bees all year round. I've been looking at Homestead because: subtropical, close to the keys, relatively close to Miami, there is land for my beekeeping business(even though there are several beekeepers there, I can make do), national parks, and what I've mentioned above.

Anyway, if there is any advice for me, it would be much appreciated

Old 08-17-2013, 10:49 PM

249 posts, read 419,705 times
$500 Homestead apartment sounds ghetto as hell. Homestead is nice for the most part but you get what you pay for in Miami-Dade

Old 08-18-2013, 04:52 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
There is a tremendous amount of interest in honey bees in this area. I live in Homestead. Your price range does seem to be low. I, too, came from Indiana to this area (many years ago). I would suggest that you contact a realtor....perhaps they know of a place in Homestead or the Redland who would like to have someone like you to stay at their place. BTW, this weekend (yesterday and today), Fairchild Garden is celebrating the honey bee and other pollinators.Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden This link goes to a blog about honey bees. Good luck in your search...and I agree about Homestead...a great area next to 2 national parks, the Keys, etc.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
There is a tremendous amount of interest in honey bees in this area. I live in Homestead. Your price range does seem to be low. I, too, came from Indiana to this area (many years ago). I would suggest that you contact a realtor....perhaps they know of a place in Homestead or the Redland who would like to have someone like you to stay at their place. BTW, this weekend (yesterday and today), Fairchild Garden is celebrating the honey bee and other pollinators.Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden This link goes to a blog about honey bees. Good luck in your search...and I agree about Homestead...a great area next to 2 national parks, the Keys, etc.
Do you know of a good way to go about contacting a good Realtor? I just did a search and there are so many, its overwhelming.

Have you heard anything about San Sherri Villas off of Mowry Dr.? Its crazy cheap. Right now we're coming up on 4 months in a pull behind travel trailer in Vermont, since its where my work is and its free, so anything will seem nicer than that as long as there aren't cockroaches.

Thanks for that info popcorn.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sratcliff3 View Post
Do you know of a good way to go about contacting a good Realtor? I just did a search and there are so many, its overwhelming.

Have you heard anything about San Sherri Villas off of Mowry Dr.? Its crazy cheap. Right now we're coming up on 4 months in a pull behind travel trailer in Vermont, since its where my work is and its free, so anything will seem nicer than that as long as there aren't cockroaches.

Thanks for that info popcorn.
I lived in San Sherri Villas for many years ......moved out in 1989 when I moved into my mother's place. Hurricane Andrew destroyed those apartments in 1992. They were then rebuilt. I think Section 8 folks live there now. Tomorrow I can send you some info regarding possible realtors. Ok if I send you a message?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,212 times
Use HotPads - Apartments, Homes for Rent and Real Estate with Map Search it will be hard to get anything for $500 average is 1K and looking for gated community.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I lived in San Sherri Villas for many years ......moved out in 1989 when I moved into my mother's place. Hurricane Andrew destroyed those apartments in 1992. They were then rebuilt. I think Section 8 folks live there now. Tomorrow I can send you some info regarding possible realtors. Ok if I send you a message?
Yes, you can send me a message. I'm probably going to move down around mid October, after I'm done with my current job, so I have some time to research.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:37 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sratcliff3 View Post
so anything will seem nicer than that as long as there aren't cockroaches.
I know this is getting old, but I was just browsing through and I noticed this. Before moving, one should know that cockroaches are a fact of life in South Florida. There is no such thing as a place in Homestead, nice or otherwise, that will not have to deal with them - you are very close to the Everglades, after all. Unlike up North, where it is a sign of lack of cleanliness, this is just their habitat down here. They are very large, but usually won't fly, and may be worse at times of heavy rain where they are escaping flooding, or times of drought when they are seeking sources of water like sinks and drains. Apartments - especially cheap ones, and especially ground floors versus highrises (which don't really exist in Homestead) - will tend to be worse because the landlords don't care much and messy neighbors certainly will make it worse.

It is survivable though, for millions of Floridians. Be careful to clean regularly, vacuuming carpets, etc. This prevents crumbs of course from attracting them, but it also removes the droppings which can cause disease and lung problems. Research killing agents carefully, many are not safe for humans or pets. Some places fumigate every single month regardless of evidence of bugs, check with the apt. what their policy is - so much pesticide is not safe for humans or pets to be around, the bugs would often be better than regular bombs like that. If you see droppings of some sort in the day time and suspect cockroaches (which will generally come out at night or hide in dark areas) line all four sides of a room with a strip of upside-down packing tape, so there is no gap. When you wake up, if they are there at least one of them should be stuck to the powerful tape as it tried to cross into the room. They tend to like the sweet smell of the adhesive.

I mention this because for some people it is a deal breaker to move to a place that has cockroaches as a part of life. Generally, they don't want to bother you anymore than you want to be around them. They want their food or their water and that's it. But yes, they are pretty gross looking. If you keep the place clean, you may not actually see one more than twice a year. But if you don't own the place, you can't be sure where they are. I personally prefer tile floors, because cockroach waste cannot linger in it like carpet and affect your breathing - you know if it's clean or not just with a quick look, and nothing remains when you wipe it clean. (It's also good if you go to the beach for sand.) You don't want them leaving droppings in the air ducts so then you breathe that in whenever the air conditioning is on. People with asthma or other breathing problems have to be especially careful. But again, most people survive just fine.

Cockroaches in Florida are like mice up North - they may nest in your home simply because you're in an area where they're common, it doesn't mean that you're filthy. Both can bring health problems with their droppings, especially for breathing. But, you're more likely to see them if you are not careful about cleaning up crumbs daily or sources of water out like soaking pots, and there are various ways to get rid of them when you find them. We don't think of them as being as cute as mice are. But they are no more dangerous.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 PM

169 posts, read 310,045 times
Boy dem damn roaches!
I don't know much about homestead but with todays money, 500$ would get you put in either liberty city, better areas of overtown, lil haiti, allapatah (notorious for always being victims of robberies. So if homestead is like miami, you won't get put in a neighborhood that would be wise for a business owner to live I'm, not carefree at least.
For safety, I'll let you know that I always here how some boys in the lower income areas of down south can be very dangerous, especially to strangers. A new guy with a business just seems like fresh meat imo it's not a good idea for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami