Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:37 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times

Advertisements

In your price range you could potentially find a small apartment along the ocean front in North Beach (in the 60's and 70's), walking distance to anything you need, there are some local bars up there too. South Beach would be more than a $20 taxi away, but the trade off is you could be right on the beach. Also busses to South Beach are frequent if you care to take them.

I think Miami Beach seems like more of an urban neighbourhood vibe than the Brickell highrises--in Brickell there are too many people keeping fancy cars in those large garages and obviously preferring to drive those nice cars, too many part-year residents and students with roommates, plus even $1600 may be a bit low for the nicer buildings in Brickell. The big gym in Brickell is what, the LA Fitness" signature club" which has less stuff than the regular LA Fitnesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM

463 posts, read 559,758 times
Thanks for the additional feedback everyone;

I may be open towards living on South Beach, but maybe a few blocks west like some have recommended. There was a really nice gym called the Equinox on 5th and Collins. I definitely want to immerse myself in the fitness lifestyle once I'm down there so access to a good gym nearby is important to me.

Are there any other good gyms on Miami beach?

Last edited by go-getta-J; 12-26-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Equinox is nice if you can afford it, and their equipment is the latest and newest, but personally I'd rather have more pool and less eucalyptus towels in my gym. (Equinox doesn't have a pool). There are local gyms in North Beach, but I don't really think there are many options in South Beach, which is somewhat surprising given the whole glamour culture... I know lots of hotels have gyms, some of them may have membership plans for non-guests. I guess there's David Barton, but it's another upscale New York-based gym like Equinox.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:29 PM

269 posts, read 247,686 times
I checked out another local Equinox (Aventura) and was turned off by the sales presentation which highlighed the gym's classiness (read snobbishness) more than its equipment, facilities, etc. I understand that this appeals to some, but not me. Regarding gyms on SOBE, Crunch has a few locations on SOBE as does Gold's gym. Both are pretty good gyms, afford-ably priced with good hours, equipment, facilities, and group fitness classes. I think that anywhere in S. Florida, you can find fitness options that work for you.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 PM

Unfortunately, The Gold's Gym website shows that the closest location to South Beach is way out in Coral Gables.

Apparently there are two Crunch locations in South Beach, they seem to be solid enough and it is where I'd probably go (still no pool it seems, but it is South Beach after all and space is a premium).

Old 12-28-2013, 01:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Unfortunately, The Gold's Gym website shows that the closest location to South Beach is way out in Coral Gables.

Apparently there are two Crunch locations in South Beach, they seem to be solid enough and it is where I'd probably go (still no pool it seems, but it is South Beach after all and space is a premium).
SoBe has the best pool in the world. And it's free.

I have no idea why people fly all the way across the world to MB and sit at a pool steps away one of the world's most beautiful oceanfronts. Kinda like traveling to NYC and staying in Staten Island.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
North of 20th and South of 5th is definitely the best on the beach. There are still quite a few hole in the wall bars and restaurants where you will find locals. Getting an apartment a few blocks west of the major tourist streets is ideal as well if you want a little more peace and quiet lol.

There are not as many major gyms on the beach but you can find some serious and dedicated personal trainers. Crunch is definitely good. I also like Base Gym Miami for serious fitness training.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 PM

Alright guys update time. I just scored a position down here that will pay me around 68-70k working from home. Extremely happy and excited so now the next step is to narrow to specific areas.

Given the fact that I will be working from home, but I still want to be reasonably close to all the action, which are your thoughts on the following Miami Beach districts?

-South Pointe (South of Fifth)
-Flamingo/Lummus (5th to 17th, in Between Collins and Alton)
-West Avenue (5th to 17th west of Alton)
-City Center (17th to 23rd between Dade and Collins)
-Bayshore (20th to 41st west of Collins)

-Everything else north of 41st (Nautilus, La Gorce, Normany Isles, Bal Harbour) These areas may be too quiet and residential for my taste but your thoughts?

Thanks again guys for all your help.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 PM

Forgot to add this question....but in your experience, how flexible are landlords when it comes to rent? Most of the rents I'm seeing advertised on Trulia are around the 1500-1600 mo. range for a decent one bedroom unit.

Is there room for negotiation if I sign a one-year lease? Any special consideration for locking down a contract during the winter months? If there is an opportunity to save an extra couple hundred bucks a month on rent, I'd like to know how.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
Forgot to add this question....but in your experience, how flexible are landlords when it comes to rent? Most of the rents I'm seeing advertised on Trulia are around the 1500-1600 mo. range for a decent one bedroom unit.

Is there room for negotiation if I sign a one-year lease? Any special consideration for locking down a contract during the winter months? If there is an opportunity to save an extra couple hundred bucks a month on rent, I'd like to know how.

Thanks!
You could save a helluva lot by skipping trulia and personally walking around the backstreets of SoBe looking for FOR RENT signs.

If you live north of 21st, stock up on geritol. If u live south of 21st, stock up on Trojans. It's just that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami