Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:42 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
$1200 you could find something safe, nice but simple.

It is not as bad as it seems. If you have a decent job and don't live an hour away from work Miami can be a nice place to live.

Would it be a huge change from living in Kentucky? YES, pretty much complete opposites.
I don't know. Most of the comments about Miami on this forum are negative. It sounds hot/humid, unfriendly, expensive, full of bad drivers and congested traffic, poor bicycling access, bad public transportation, and full of dangerous areas, hostile to non-spanish speakers, not a walking city....

The pluses seem to be night-life, the art scene, and the beach. But life in Miami sounds very difficult. It doesn't make me want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 07:40 PM

250 posts, read 359,008 times
^It is definitely hot/humid (but not anymore so than lake worth tbh), definitely pretty bad drivers, and congested with bad traffic (though not worse than other metro areas its side), poor bicycling access, and not a walking metro area. The public transportation is average, not terrible, and safety really is just like any other big city...plenty of safe areas, plenty of average areas, plenty of dangerous cities...but none of the areas recommended to you have been dangerous.

I do think Miami is a relatively difficult and pretty expensive city to live in...but it can also be very rewarding.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't know. Most of the comments about Miami on this forum are negative. It sounds hot/humid, unfriendly, expensive, full of bad drivers and congested traffic, poor bicycling access, bad public transportation, and full of dangerous areas, hostile to non-spanish speakers, not a walking city....

The pluses seem to be night-life, the art scene, and the beach. But life in Miami sounds very difficult. It doesn't make me want to live there.
Each big city has pros and cons and It depends if you can deal with the cons

Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:

Hot and Humid: yea of course it is. It's a tropical climate. And all of Florida is hot and humid for half the year
Unfriendly: not really, I have plenty of great nice friends.
Expensive: compared to Kentucky, yes, compared to NYC, LA or DC its cheap.
Bad drivers: yep plenty just like Orlando and D.C.
Traffic: no worse than any other large city.
Bicycling: on busy streets it sucks. Trails and residential areas its nice.
Public transit: Above average by U.S. standards. A lot better than anything in Kentucky.
Dangerous areas: no worse than cities like LA, Atlanta, NYC, Chicago, DC etc.. Big city problems.
Non-Spanish: hostile? Ehh depends. Typically no.
Walking: actually for the U.S. depending on the neighborhood Miami is very very walkable. Miami Beach, Downtown, Coconut Grove, Brickell, Downtown Coral Gables are all very dense walkable areas.

Miami is a big city and has its negatives and positives just like any other big city. No place is perfect.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
I turned down the job, I don't want to live in Miami, it sounds awful from everything people write on these forums, and I don't like commuting, so, so much for that.

But just out of curiousity---what would have been a realistic budget for a simple one-bedroom in a safe area? People here are saying you can find something for $1100 or so, but everything I looked at on-line was much more, around $1500 on up.

Thanks for your input everyone!
Thank you for doing your homework and letting the people in the area give you the real facts. You have spared yourself years of heartache and a reduced standard of living. We will welcome you after the crash if you decide to move here then. Miami will need a lot of people with actual brain cells to take it into the future. Just make sure that everyone waits till the real crash when foreign investors lose so much money that they finally leave Miami and let it prosper.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 AM

604 posts, read 618,323 times
You can find one bedrooms in Doral below 1300, mostly around 82nd Avenue.

Rent Doral - yellowkeyrealty.com

Far from being the nicest area in Doral, it is a very short commute to 87th Ave.
Public transportation on 82nd Avenue is limited to the free Doral trolley (route 2, Mon-Fri, hourly frequency) that goes from the Metrorail station down to 33rd street (Carnival, Miami Herald, US Southern Command)

Old 05-15-2014, 09:30 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
thanks, but check out the reviews of that place. They are terrible!

Fontainebleau Milton Rental Apartments - Miami, FL, United States | Yelp
They may be all that- you mentioned Fountainbleu and asked about it's locality, so that's what I found.

To be honest, I've never seen an apartment complex where there weren't numerous negative reviews, so I'd figure I'd need to check out anything I might be interested in first hand, and take the reviews with the proverbial grain of salt. I think you mentioned in an earlier post that you didn't think you'd take the job in Miami anyway... In case you do, there are also numerous apartment complexes just south of the Doral area on and around SW/NW 87th Avenue (aka Galloway Rd)- I know nothing about them except that they look decent as one passes them by traveling on that road.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

T

Old 05-15-2014, 09:36 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Safe area that you have to drive far to everything interesting = $1100/1br.
Safe area that is interesting = much more...

Old 05-15-2014, 09:09 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
You can find one bedrooms in Doral below 1300, mostly around 82nd Avenue.

Rent Doral - yellowkeyrealty.com

Far from being the nicest area in Doral, it is a very short commute to 87th Ave.
Public transportation on 82nd Avenue is limited to the free Doral trolley (route 2, Mon-Fri, hourly frequency) that goes from the Metrorail station down to 33rd street (Carnival, Miami Herald, US Southern Command)
That's 2-3 times what local incomes should dictate rents to be. Another sign of the future crash.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:06 PM

358 posts, read 710,938 times
Wow I would not turn down a job offer in Doral. We just spent 3 years there and loved it. Weather is amazing. People were nice. Language was not an issue at all, even though I don't speak Spanish. Every thing is in easy reach...downtown, Miami Beach, the Keys. The heat/humidity thing is way overstated...lots of breeze and rain to take the edge off. Traffic really is horrible, but you can mitigate that by living close to work. Believe it or not many parts of Doral are fine for walking/biking. I was given all the same 'warnings' before i moved down there but I found South Florida to be a wonderful place. Now that I have rotated out I really miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami