Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 PM

32 posts, read 38,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralsex View Post
Homestead is one of the most depressing places I've ever been. Bad vibes.
Can you clarify, I would love to hear what makes it depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by credding View Post
OK I guess I will have to look in Aug. to see what it is like.

• I guess what you mean by Miami negatives, you mean ghetto. So you mean Homestead is becoming the new murder capital of the world, I guess this takes Camden, New Jersey down to number 2 as one of the most dangerous place to live. Camden is ranked number 2 in robbery and murder, I would not roll through Homestead at night. I Camden burglary not in the highest risk (cuz they rather kill you), it is easy to see why Camden is considered the 2nd most dangerous city in the United States, just under Homestead. Is it like this?
  • Poor southern town, means 3rd world. Do you mean this is like Honduras, were you don't want to hang out after dark. Were people are impoverished living in boxes on the side of the road, children are sent to panhandle at gas stations for money, if they are lucky. I saw a man hit by a truck, knocking head head from his body, and serving his leg, when the cops came they picked up the pieces and drove off. Is it like this?
  • Inner city negatives, here I will put failing city. Would you mean some place like Detroit with one of the highest crime rates in the US. I heard about the issues with the mayor in Homestead, I doubt his crimes even closely compare with the local government that was in Detroit. The abandon building there are refuge for drugs and crime if not just burnt down. Don't worry about calling for help if it would even come, is it like this?
  • Mexican border town, unclear on this one. Are you comparing this place to some place like Brownsville: Brownsville, Texas, a border town that lies across the from Matamoros, Tamaulipas in Mexico. There have been many issues in this city due proximity to Mexico just across the border. Things like gun battles that have hit builds, for instance The University of Texas at Brownsville, forcing the closing border crossing bridges to help retain fleeing criminals. Brownsville has a high density of drugs, criminals, and human trafficking, is it like this?
If the above is true, I would be a fool to move here and I thank you for the heads up, could you please add some more detail maybe a few sources.

Thanks again, you may have saved me.
Definitely not those above. I have a house in the Vineyards actually. I bought it so i have a place 1 hour from the Keys. Its rented out to a couple and they love living there. Redlands not too far which love to go to and its quiet and not crazy city living. You have space to play with.

What are you trying to look in Homestead? you want to be away from Miami?

East of the Turnpike is good. Its quiet and they are getting a Target soon. You have more problems west of the turnpike. Its not for everybody especially those who want to be close to the city. Its good for those who want to live in a quiet environment and less city. You would have to drive to get where you are going.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
Definitely not those above. I have a house in the Vineyards actually. I bought it so i have a place 1 hour from the Keys. Its rented out to a couple and they love living there. Redlands not too far which love to go to and its quiet and not crazy city living. You have space to play with.

What are you trying to look in Homestead? you want to be away from Miami?

East of the Turnpike is good. Its quiet and they are getting a Target soon. You have more problems west of the turnpike. Its not for everybody especially those who want to be close to the city. Its good for those who want to live in a quiet environment and less city. You would have to drive to get where you are going.
Well we are going to go down there this Aug, but I was looking for something that we could take the ATVs out on the weekend for a trail ride, or go down to the keys. I think my wife would like a house off the beach of Fort Lauderdale, but I doubt I want to spend this kind of money for a 4 bed, or 3 bed with an office off the beach. I don't want to live in Miami, looking for a slower pace, but we can visit the fast pace life if we want. We love the outdoors, camping, hitting the lake, 4 wheeling, or just going for a walk.

I was going to move out to the country here in Texas, but was not able to find a place that me an my wife could agree on, or it was sold to quickly and we did not have a chance to put a offer down. I also was working on getting my first rental property here, but that changed after we decided to move, could you expand on how the rental market is there, I see in a few places you can buy houses for nothing.

I know the my post before was an exaggeration, but I seem to get a lot of poor responses from people that have lived very isolated lives. I think if they respond harshly, support your response, but I would like to thank you for your comment.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
OK I guess I will have to look in Aug. to see what it is like.

• I guess what you mean by Miami negatives, you mean ghetto. So you mean Homestead is becoming the new murder capital of the world, I guess this takes Camden, New Jersey down to number 2 as one of the most dangerous place to live. Camden is ranked number 2 in robbery and murder, I would not roll through Homestead at night. I Camden burglary not in the highest risk (cuz they rather kill you), it is easy to see why Camden is considered the 2nd most dangerous city in the United States, just under Homestead. Is it like this?
  • Poor southern town, means 3rd world. Do you mean this is like Honduras, were you don't want to hang out after dark. Were people are impoverished living in boxes on the side of the road, children are sent to panhandle at gas stations for money, if they are lucky. I saw a man hit by a truck, knocking head head from his body, and serving his leg, when the cops came they picked up the pieces and drove off. Is it like this?
  • Inner city negatives, here I will put failing city. Would you mean some place like Detroit with one of the highest crime rates in the US. I heard about the issues with the mayor in Homestead, I doubt his crimes even closely compare with the local government that was in Detroit. The abandon building there are refuge for drugs and crime if not just burnt down. Don't worry about calling for help if it would even come, is it like this?
  • Mexican border town, unclear on this one. Are you comparing this place to some place like Brownsville: Brownsville, Texas, a border town that lies across the from Matamoros, Tamaulipas in Mexico. There have been many issues in this city due proximity to Mexico just across the border. Things like gun battles that have hit builds, for instance The University of Texas at Brownsville, forcing the closing border crossing bridges to help retain fleeing criminals. Brownsville has a high density of drugs, criminals, and human trafficking, is it like this?
If the above is true, I would be a fool to move here and I thank you for the heads up, could you please add some more detail maybe a few sources.

Thanks again, you may have saved me.
Yes it is as crappy as Latin America. I grew up in the most violent city in the world and Homestead feels just as crappy. If you wanna lie to yourself and think Homestead is some kind of lost paradise then go ahead. Don't do any research, don't check the crime statistics or school ratings, don't check the income of the area or the apartment buildings on section 8, or the complaints about Chinese drywall in new developments. Just don't come here later and play victim when you see kids walking around with their pants on the ground or when your complex gets robbed repeatedly.

I honestly hope your trolling because no one in their right mind would consider moving from Dallas to Homestead with school children. If you are for real, there are better places that $200-250k can buy in South Florida.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Yes it is as crappy as Latin America. I grew up in the most violent city in the world and Homestead feels just as crappy. If you wanna lie to yourself and think Homestead is some kind of lost paradise then go ahead. Don't do any research, don't check the crime statistics or school ratings, don't check the income of the area or the apartment buildings on section 8, or the complaints about Chinese drywall in new developments. Just don't come here later and play victim when you see kids walking around with their pants on the ground or when your complex gets robbed repeatedly.

I honestly hope your trolling because no one in their right mind would consider moving from Dallas to Homestead with school children. If you are for real, there are better places that $200-250k can buy in South Florida.
Sugah Ray not trolling, really don't know, and your answer was less then relieving. I was looking at an area around key gate charter school, but if the whole area is crap, may have to look at norht of Miami like fort lauderdale florida. I just know I do not want to live in Miami.

Please elaborate on the most violent city in the world, also I have done research, looked a crime statistics, school ratings, and I would not park myself near section 8 housing. Kids seem to walk with their pants to their knees everywhere, the area looks to be improving, that is why I am on the site.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:44 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Well we are going to go down there this Aug, but I was looking for something that we could take the ATVs out on the weekend for a trail ride, or go down to the keys. I think my wife would like a house off the beach of Fort Lauderdale, but I doubt I want to spend this kind of money for a 4 bed, or 3 bed with an office off the beach. I don't want to live in Miami, looking for a slower pace, but we can visit the fast pace life if we want. We love the outdoors, camping, hitting the lake, 4 wheeling, or just going for a walk.

I was going to move out to the country here in Texas, but was not able to find a place that me an my wife could agree on, or it was sold to quickly and we did not have a chance to put a offer down. I also was working on getting my first rental property here, but that changed after we decided to move, could you expand on how the rental market is there, I see in a few places you can buy houses for nothing.

I know the my post before was an exaggeration, but I seem to get a lot of poor responses from people that have lived very isolated lives. I think if they respond harshly, support your response, but I would like to thank you for your comment.
Rental properties are kind of iffy. Miami renters arent the best they usually trash your place. Keys Gate is an excellent community if you want your kids to be in a charter school. You can ride ATVs west and yeah you are within 1 hour to the keys. There's also a boat dock on Homestead Bayfront Park and Marina. If you love outdoors and space i think Homestead would work for you. Crime is bad but like I said its more west of the turnpike. East is all suburbs with new developments. Oh yeah if you like the speedwaynearby you can watch drag racing every Friday. in my house's neighborhood theres guys with dirtbikes and ATVs

Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
I haven't lived in Homestead or hung out a lot there at night, but I could tell you that in the daytime it feels pretty suburban/rural. A lot of people move there for the lower cost, extra land, and to be out of the high drama of Miami while still close enough to commute from work. There are a ton of nurseries and palm plantations, Lowes and Home Depot, and the Fruit & Spice park is nearby, along with many tropical fruit enthusiasts who hold tastings and conventions. It is known as sort of the tropical fruit center of the US, and is great if you're into plants, gardening, and yardwork. I have lived in some of the more dangerous neighborhoods in the country (in South Bronx, Jersey City, etc.) and in those one's safety is at risk even in the daytime. Of course, that is a bit worse because those places aren't car places, so you're walking around with no bodily protection. But although I have never lived in Homestead, I have been there many times since I used to live in Miami and now I live in the Keys, and I never felt any fear during the daytime, like if I slowed the car I could get hurt. I would say it is nowhere near the most dangerous area of the country. (Parts of Liberty City, just North in Miami, for instance, are far more dangerous in terms of daily risk of violent crime just walking by.) I enjoy going to Homestead during the day to get errands done. I know a few people considering buying there and I would be happy to visit them there anytime.

On the other hand, Homestead is cheaper for a reason, and certainly parts do have a very depressed feel. I personally would consider living close to a nuclear plant in a hurricane zone. That is not my idea of fun, but obviously many live with the risk and have thus far not had incident.

If you're going to buy, I strongly urge you to rent in whatever location you choose for a least a year to be sure it is a good fit for you. You don't want to buy something and decide within 6 months that you hate it, but have a downturn in the real estate market and be stuck there. It sounds like you know very little about what Homestead is like to buy property there, so if you think you'll like it test it out first. Each person is individual, and it's hard for any stranger to tell you whether it will really fit for you, even if they know that it does or does not fit them.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I haven't lived in Homestead or hung out a lot there at night, but I could tell you that in the daytime it feels pretty suburban/rural. A lot of people move there for the lower cost, extra land, and to be out of the high drama of Miami while still close enough to commute from work. There are a ton of nurseries and palm plantations, Lowes and Home Depot, and the Fruit & Spice park is nearby, along with many tropical fruit enthusiasts who hold tastings and conventions. It is known as sort of the tropical fruit center of the US, and is great if you're into plants, gardening, and yardwork. I have lived in some of the more dangerous neighborhoods in the country (in South Bronx, Jersey City, etc.) and in those one's safety is at risk even in the daytime. Of course, that is a bit worse because those places aren't car places, so you're walking around with no bodily protection. But although I have never lived in Homestead, I have been there many times since I used to live in Miami and now I live in the Keys, and I never felt any fear during the daytime, like if I slowed the car I could get hurt. I would say it is nowhere near the most dangerous area of the country. (Parts of Liberty City, just North in Miami, for instance, are far more dangerous in terms of daily risk of violent crime just walking by.) I enjoy going to Homestead during the day to get errands done. I know a few people considering buying there and I would be happy to visit them there anytime.

On the other hand, Homestead is cheaper for a reason, and certainly parts do have a very depressed feel. I personally would consider living close to a nuclear plant in a hurricane zone. That is not my idea of fun, but obviously many live with the risk and have thus far not had incident.

If you're going to buy, I strongly urge you to rent in whatever location you choose for a least a year to be sure it is a good fit for you. You don't want to buy something and decide within 6 months that you hate it, but have a downturn in the real estate market and be stuck there. It sounds like you know very little about what Homestead is like to buy property there, so if you think you'll like it test it out first. Each person is individual, and it's hard for any stranger to tell you whether it will really fit for you, even if they know that it does or does not fit them.
Thanks for the reply, and I did not the this would be as bad as some people hipe it up to be. I am going to rent before I buy, and I would like lease of a city feel than were I am here in DFW, grew up on a ranch.

Once again, thanks for the reply, this was the real world informative post I was looking for. Now as for the weather, everyday this week I have talked with one of my engineers in Miami, seems to rain all the time there. The good thing is that it looks like the rain comes at a set time every day. Now about the heat and humidity, that looks almost like a non issue, it was 95F here today with dew point of 66. Homestead was high of 87F with a dew point of 71, so a little muggier, but cooler.

The winter is what really bothers me in Bedford, but Florida really don't have on.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Homestead= Miami negatives + poor southern town negatives + inner city negatives + Mexican border town negatives.

The last I knew about Homestead, developers, who had in mind during the real estate boom of the early 2000's that they could make a killing selling "Miami's last frontier", "gateway to the Keys", (what have you) seriously overbuilt zero-lot line single family houses, condos, apartments and assumed that businesses would also be attracted to the area. Well, the old saw about "build it and they will come" didn't pan out for them, for the most part due to the change in the economy, the real estate bust, but also IMO they also misjudged the demographics of the area. As far back as I can remember, Homestead has had a large population of Mexican migrant workers, who wouldn't likely be buying those properties. And folks who live in the Redland, another area near Homestead made up of farms, and houses on multiacre properties, and some businesses aren't likely to have been interested in ownership of assembly-line-constructed zero lot line houses either. So you'll see miles of these properties, many abandoned or possibly never occupied, when you travel south on the FL turnpike.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:04 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
I would divide Homestead in 3 areas Redlands, East and West

Redlands area: you find a mix here. Most homes are expensive (usually over 1 million) the lots are one acre + but even within these homes you may find homeowners who rent trailers for very cheap prices. You also have some areas far west with smaller lots usually rented to migrant workers and some trailer home parks(not sure how many) For the most part it is a very nice area, just far from everything.

West Homestead: the most depressed area. Only a few blocks from Florida City which is a very poor dangerous neighborhood. Most businesses avoid the area. I know of one retailer who closed their store because of theft. A lot of cheap rentals but most of its residents are migrant workers.

East Homestead: the area that was developed during the housing boom Many homes were bought by speculators who had to sell their properties for cheap prices or lose them. The area has a lot of rented properties attracting unfortunately not the best people from Miami. There is a lot of Chinese drywall in the newer homes. Some real Estate companies bought those properties and rent them without disclosing its residents the Chinese drywall problem. You will find some homes with mold issues, new air conditioner systems that break constantly. I know a condominium in Keys Gate that paints the electrical wires white so people cannot see the copper erosion. Anyway, Miamiams who end up there usually move back when they realize they are not really saving crap since they are spending more on tolls and gas and their neighbors from Florida City are not very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami