Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:38 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,380 times

Advertisements

We will be in the Miami/Keys area for 3 to 4 days before the end of the year. Never been to the Florida reef, and experiencing the Florida reef is the primary purpose of this visit (plus some Miami area beach relaxation). Family of four with middle school kids.

I understand the reef is a few miles off the coast. So how exactly does one "see" the reef. Other than seeing it from a boat, what specific activities are possible with regard to the reef? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. We will have a car to drive around.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:38 PM

264 posts, read 413,805 times
Snorkeling in Pennekamp John Pennenkamp Coral Reef State Park
Plenty of parks along the keys, but Pennekamp is probably one of the better (and crowded) ones, so better to go on a weekday.

You can also rent some kayaks, boats, etc, and head out yourself

Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
I second Pennekamp in Key Largo is great bet. They have snorkeling trips out to the reefs and if you don't want to get it int he water then there is a glass bottom boat that goes out to the reefs.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,660 times
I personally prefer Looe Key for snorkeling. It doesn't get as many visitors as Pennenkamp, so it's a little more preserved. It's a further drive from Miami, but worth it. Bahia Honda state park has a snorkeling trip to Looe Key twice a day, weather permitting.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:07 AM

43 posts, read 73,276 times
West Palm Beach has some of the best shollow diving in the state. Many pro divers prefer sknorling/scuba the coral Reefs off Palm beach county.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:41 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,896,715 times
If you're looking for specific Keys answers, you may want to repost this with a Keys title to the general Florida forum. Most people who live in the Keys or who post to C-D about their regular visits there do not frequent the Miami forum.

There are a lot of ways to see the reef, which the is the 3rd largest in the world, from the Keys - all the way from Key Largo to Key West. So it depends on how much time you have, where you want to go in the Keys, your budget, and what means you want to see it from - snorkeling, diving, glass bottom boat, etc. Are your family experienced divers? Do you want lessons?

The idea that you can kayak is a really bad idea - the reef is 3 miles out, and in rough water that requires a substantial boat. Most people would die trying to kayak 6 miles roundtrip in ocean waves - particularly with kids.

Repost a specific Keys thread to the Florida forum with the details of how you want to do this/time/budget and I and others who are from the Keys can give you more specific recommendations. We can also recommend places to stay, other things to do, etc. if you'd like. Keep in mind, Key West is 165 miles away from Miami, and often a 4 hour drive, so Monroe County and Miami-Dade county are not the same thing at all, and culturally are totally different. You'll need time to do things in both counties if that's your aim. If you're short on time though, the Upper Keys will work very well for what you want.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,380 times
Thanks all for the information. That is all I need at this point. We are not that great with water, so we will just look into getting a glass boat ride for our first visit. Looking forward, and excited!

Here is a question for you guys: I lived in Georgia several years, and I had never heard anyone talk about the florida reef. I would think it should be at least at the level of say Yellowstone national park. Don't you think? May be not at the level of Niagara or Grand Canyon, but probably the next level of things people would talk about. Was it just me that missed out knowing about this? I cant believe I went to Orlando thrice while I was in Georgia, and never even knew about this reef!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:15 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,660 times
Maybe it's because those other attractions can be seen by anyone in one way or another? Even if you're handicapped, you can look out over the Grand Canyon and enjoy it's beauty. The coral reef in Florida has to be viewed by plane or by boat, and you have to get in the water to really experience it, something many people are not willing to do.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:30 PM

Very little of the reef has been enclosed inside a National Park. The difference compared to other well-known natural areas is, they are fully protected, have plenty of money funding their care, and are widely touted by their state tourist boards. The reef is more of a political issue here, than a well-known place of nation pride - money only goes into protecting it when environmentalists scream loud and long for someone to do so. There are many beautiful natural places to go to throughout the Keys, quite a few that have their own species which are specific to them and can be found nowhere else in the entire world - and yet we do not have National Park status anywhere to protect that ecosystem. There is the Everglades, but that is next door, and does not cover the reef nor many of the animals and plants specific to the islands of the Keys. There are several State Parks, but they are not going to be as well known as a National Park.

To compare, Biscayne National Park is 270 sq miles, is way out in a fairly inaccessible area for the average tourist, and barely covers the tip of the reef (and none of the reef that is closest to easy access points). The Grand Canyon National Park is 1902 sq miles - over 7 times that size. Which has clearly been given more importance by our national government?

Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
The coral reef in Florida has to be viewed by plane or by boat, and you have to get in the water to really experience it, something many people are not willing to do.
This is not true - you can get a good view of it in a glass-bottom tour boat, or deploying a rowboat, inflatable, or kayak with a view panel. It's not as easy as just driving up to it, but many disabled, elderly, and people who cannot swim do it all the time.

The glass-bottom tours from John Pennekamp State Park cost only $24 per adult, and $17 for kids - and they have an additional $5 off coupon on their website. So it's not free, but it's fairly affordable for a 2.5 hr ride with a good view. Diving will of course have a better view, but the boat is pretty decent. Remember not to stare the whole time at the bottom of the boat, or you'll get seasick - especially on a rough day. Look up at the horizon from time to time to steady your brain's perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami