Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:39 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times

Advertisements

Driving on the 836 last nite headed westbound to Kendall from Miami Beach and I noticed the massive interchange currently under construction where the 836 and the 826 meet. It looks quite impressive with lots of fly-overs and a seemingly endless amount of exits and ramps flying all over the place.

It's a 4 level interchange and admittedly, I do not get to go on the Dolphin often (which i am not complaining about) but when I saw it yesterday evening I was taken aback by the scale of the project. I look forward to the day when it's actually complete. Is anyone else as impressed with this infrastructure project as I am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:28 AM

400 posts, read 516,306 times
It looks massive. I've gone several times thru it going West on the 836 and switching to the 826 South. The site says, estimated completion: December 2015.

Changing to the 826 South You have to be very attentive on which lane to use, right now there is only one going North and only one going South, running side by side, at least during the day it is bumber to bumpet traffic with little chance that someone will allow You into their lane if You realize being on the wrong one. Also because of the construction, there is no way, once on the 826 South, to move over to the Flagler Street exit, so You have to go all the way to 8th Street and go around a big square to get back on Flagler.

According to the map, it's not only the Expressways themselves, but several Streets and Avenues around will be enhanced.
Here a link to the map:
Project Map | Project Map

Old 10-20-2014, 10:25 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
It looks massive. I've gone several times thru it going West on the 836 and switching to the 826 South. The site says, estimated completion: December 2015.

Changing to the 826 South You have to be very attentive on which lane to use, right now there is only one going North and only one going South, running side by side, at least during the day it is bumber to bumpet traffic with little chance that someone will allow You into their lane if You realize being on the wrong one. Also because of the construction, there is no way, once on the 826 South, to move over to the Flagler Street exit, so You have to go all the way to 8th Street and go around a big square to get back on Flagler.

According to the map, it's not only the Expressways themselves, but several Streets and Avenues around will be enhanced.
Here a link to the map:
Project Map | Project Map
Wow, makes me glad not to have to be driving in Miami anymore. When that's finished, can you imagine all the drivers, realizing they're in the wrong lanes, backing up, trying to switch lanes, cutting across any number of lanes of traffic, and all the other shenanigans that Miami-Dade drivers are wont to do?

Old 10-20-2014, 10:58 AM

400 posts, read 516,306 times
I am almost sure that ramp won't stay single lane, the space for future additional lanes is being used for equipment and materials. I've allowed a couple of times cars to get in front of me so they could change lanes, but I am new to Miami-Dade. On projects of this size they usually open up to traffic the individual sections as the project progresses.

Looks like they are also going to connect the canals from the South side of the 836 to the others on the North side.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
I am almost sure that ramp won't stay single lane, the space for future additional lanes is being used for equipment and materials. I've allowed a couple of times cars to get in front of me so they could change lanes, but I am new to Miami-Dade. On projects of this size they usually open up to traffic the individual sections as the project progresses.

Looks like they are also going to connect the canals from the South side of the 836 to the others on the North side.
There will be 2 lanes. For reasons that you've already stated, they're one lane for now. I imagine when it's all said and done this interchange will be similar to the 95/595 interchange in broward?

Old 10-20-2014, 02:07 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,947,097 times
Here I have some photos on a site that I found , many photos.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...Q&ved=0CB0QsAQ

But to answer your question, yes I am very impressed with this expressway interchange.

Last edited by perry335654; 10-20-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 06:04 PM

behold her glory

Old 11-03-2014, 07:31 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,421,327 times
see this a lot when i was commuting from the beach to Kendall. Cant wait for it to finish!

Old 11-03-2014, 09:40 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
When they finish it will already be obsolete. The 836 will be even more crowded and as mentioned above, confused drivers will slow it down to a crawl at rush hour. Remember when the built the flyover from the 836 to the palmetto southbound? Now 72 avenue is at ground level. Thankfully NW 7 street will finally go through, but I know this interchange will be congested as early as 2015 when completed. Now what is going to happen with the overpass they are building at NW 25 st?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:24 AM

471 posts, read 621,801 times
The company making this monstrosity is a Brazilian company Oderbretch.

They are well known in Latin American cities, this company makes ties/lobby politicians to win $$$ projects. Then build ****ty infrastructure and charge billions for it.

Miami is the closest American city to Latin America (Politically, Culturally, etc)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami