Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:45 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
As with everything else in life, there are always tradeoffs.

We got a great deal on a condo in this area -- one I would never have been able to get in areas further east like South Miami and Coconut Grove.

Maybe it's because of the traffic that properties tend to be cheaper out here. You're also further away from the action (beaches, downtown, Brickell, the Grove, etc).

I am not a big beach guy, nor do I care much about clubs or bars anymore, so Kendall -- for all its suburban blandness -- suits my wife and I fine. Give us ample restaurants, shops, a movie theater, and a few parks and we're good to go.

They do have to do something about the traffic, though. It's insane. Hopefully they can find a way to build more infrastructure to accommodate the growing population here. It should not take someone close to an hour and a half to drive 11 miles, even during rush hour.
I wasn't questioning why you moved to Kendale Lakes; from your posts I assumed that the difficult commute caught you somewhat by surprise. My question was directed to OptimusPrime who stated that he moved to Kendall last year even though he considers it to be bland, uninteresting and with horrible traffic.

BTW, I lived in Kendale Lakes (142 Ave & 84 St) from 1979-1982. Completely different back then. No traffic and not much of anything else really, except Kendale Lakes Mall and a small shopping area across the street. In fact, there wasn't much if anything between 142nd and Krome back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 07:54 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I wasn't questioning why you moved to Kendale Lakes; from your posts I assumed that the difficult commute caught you somewhat by surprise. My question was directed to OptimusPrime who stated that he moved to Kendall last year even though he considers it to be bland, uninteresting and with horrible traffic.

BTW, I lived in Kendale Lakes (142 Ave & 84 St) from 1979-1982. Completely different back then. No traffic and not much of anything else really, except Kendale Lakes Mall and a small shopping area across the street. In fact, there wasn't much if anything between 142nd and Krome back then.
People did warn me -- I just never expected it to be this bad.

I've noticed the worst spots on Miller and Sunset are those near the Palmetto (from 87th ave to 67th ave going east). I got stuck there for a good 30-40 mins.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:08 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Okay, I'll bite. Why did you move there then?
I was hired at an organization based in Cutler bay.... so I had to move down to Dade from Fort Lauderdale...

Taking in to account the location of my job...the only somewhat affordable area in southern dade was Kendall.

Pinecrest too expensive
Coral Gables too expensive
Dadeland area too expensive
Palmetto bay too expensive
Coconut Grove too expensive
Brickell too expensive.

I had no choice. While I said Kendall is ugly and boring, it's relatively safe, so my only option was Kendall..
Also, Homestead was not somewhere I was willing to live. So, Kendall it was! Keep in mind I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment in a nice area of broward for $1200....now I pay $1470 for a 2-bedroom place that is smaller and not as nice as what I had in Broward... I can't help but be a little annoyed by that. Not to mention the traffic in kendall is worse than in broward, which is not saying much....

whatever tho, things could be worse.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:30 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I was hired at an organization based in Cutler bay.... so I had to move down to Dade from Fort Lauderdale...

Taking in to account the location of my job...the only somewhat affordable area in southern dade was Kendall.

Pinecrest too expensive
Brickell too expensive.

I had no choice. While I said Kendall is ugly and boring, it's relatively safe, so my only option was Kendall..
Also, Homestead was not somewhere I was willing to live. So, Kendall it was! Keep in mind I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment in a nice area of broward for $1200....now I pay $1470 for a 2-bedroom place that is smaller and not as nice as what I had in Broward... I can't help but be a little annoyed by that. Not to mention the traffic in kendall is worse than in broward, which is not saying much....

You know I just looked up on realtor.com for rent and that are a few 2 up to 3 bedroom rentals in palmetto bay area east of US 1 some of them look real nice via the pictures if you wanted to get out of Kendall. Might be worth it to investigate them. Also saga bay has quite a few as well. I use to live in kendall in the 90's on sunset and 152 ave and traffic was murder then, I could only imagine it now. Well at least you are going against traffic in the morning. If heading south I would consider taking 137 or 117 all the way to 184 then head east if the turnpike is too much.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:16 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

Pinecrest too expensive
Brickell too expensive.

Makes sense. Thx for the explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami