Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 AM

600 posts, read 754,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Yes those reasons are gone now. I was forced to move to Miami when i was 17 because I was living in a convent and on the verge of homelessness. I think because I felt like I had no choice but to move to be with family I always felt forced into living in Miami. We have not visited together yet. He spent a couple months down there 4 years ago when we first got together.

I don't know if visitig together will Change his mind.... He seems so certain already ��

His reasons are he just doesn't see florida as a place to live just to visit.
He's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:15 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
While not living in Miami has a lot of merit, it is impossible to justify condemning all of Florida. The one time I visited Taxachussets I was amazed anyone would want to live in an overpriced place like Boston!

Old 04-03-2015, 11:34 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
I hate to say it Pear but if he visited and didn't like it, he won't like living here for sure. I don't know how people survive those brutal winters up there and this was one of them, I definitely would want to get out of Boston

If I remember you were studying in college to become a lawyer, hope you attain that. I hope also your mother is doing fine too, it would be nice to live close to her in Miami(Aventura).

If he deems you the most important, it shouldn't matter where both of you live.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Pear - Miami is very unique in that it is one the most hispanic populations in the country.
Miami is unique on US soil because it offers warm temperatures and waters virtually all year round in a no state income tax state. Houston comes close, but I think most would agree that Miami's waters are more pleasant.

Other US cities have large Hispanic populations and are gateways to international trade. I am sure there is a lot going on in terms of Hispanic culture in cities like New York and Los Angeles, maybe a few in Texas and a few other places. Among Hispanic cultures, Miami may offer more diversity.

In any case, Houston and especially Atlanta offer broader and deeper economies.

But we don't know exactly what kind of niche the OP and her boyfriend may have carved out for themselves which could be a good fit in Miami or some other city in Florida. If not, Miami is a tough city to start out in without some combination of wealth and connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
While not living in Miami has a lot of merit, it is impossible to justify condemning all of Florida. The one time I visited Taxachussets I was amazed anyone would want to live in an overpriced place like Boston!
Indeed. My main beef with Boston, as well as most neighborhoods in New York, is that the urban housing stock sucks, mostly old and expensive. There might be a few newer buildings, but the choices are limited and priced sky high. In comparison, Miami is relatively new, relatively cheap, and relatively abundant and expanding as we speak, a better deal for the money per square foot. I am talking about urban housing, not SFHs in the suburbs or rural areas.

Last edited by bale002; 04-03-2015 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 01:44 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Miami is unique on US soil because it offers warm temperatures and waters virtually all year round in a no state income tax state. Houston comes close, but I think most would agree that Miami's waters are more pleasant.

Other US cities have large Hispanic populations and are gateways to international trade. I am sure there is a lot going on in terms of Hispanic culture in cities like New York and Los Angeles, maybe a few in Texas and a few other places. Among Hispanic cultures, Miami may offer more diversity.

In any case, Houston and especially Atlanta offer broader and deeper economies.

But we don't know exactly what kind of niche the OP and her boyfriend may have carved out for themselves which could be a good fit in Miami or some other city in Florida. If not, Miami is a tough city to start out in without some combination of wealth and connections.
I agree as far as waters go, Miami win over Houston. The OP, boyfriend said he'd move to other cities in the south (not in Florida), hence why I didn't even mention NY or LA.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
I know how yer feelin' baby. I'm feelin' it too. It's been too long away from the Magic City for me too. I am so done with Dallas. Tired of all the womanizing, the booze, the empty sex. Tell what we'll do. Just dump him Pear, and you, me, and HiMain can all move back to the Beach together. We can have great threesomes, go to the clubs, and eat Cuban sandwiches every day. And just think of all we've been through together - the green line - hell we even tracked down the Boston Bombers together.

Face it Pear - we belong together. And I've changed so much. Look - I've been workin' out, have learned to love animals, even dyed my hair back! C'Mon baby, whaduyah say? I'll sell the horse - you, me, and HiMain? How can we lose? Hell, I'll even go back to streetwalkin' if we need the money!.

You need to get back w the people (me) who REALLY love you. :-D

and..........this is weird. if this is any proof, stay away from Miami!

Old 04-03-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf&Turf View Post
Your boyfriend seems smart! Listen to him and don't move.

I agree, there are so many better options in the Southeast. Try Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh. I bet he wouldnt mind those cities. I wouldnt live in Miami for free. He is a smart guy- dont leave him b/c he doesnt want to move there. It's not worth losing your "love of your life" over a place like Miami. I bet you wont even like Miami after 1 yr.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:01 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I agree, there are so many better options in the Southeast. Try Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh. I bet he wouldnt mind those cities. I wouldnt live in Miami for free. He is a smart guy- dont leave him b/c he doesnt want to move there. It's not worth losing your "love of your life" over a place like Miami. I bet you wont even like Miami after 1 yr.
Atlanta isn't worth the trouble living in, unless you live in Midtown, Buckhead, people live out in the suburbs and think nothing of traveling 50-60 miles to work, don't know much about Charlotte, I know at one time sometime ago Mecklenburg county was infamous for its murders, nice looking city though known for its banking industry.

Last edited by perry335654; 04-03-2015 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 03:12 PM

600 posts, read 754,357 times
The OP is just being selfish. Her bf was at least willing to consider other cities. The OP, on the other hand, is expecting him to just leave everything behind and is limiting the options to only Miami despite knowing that he doesn't like it here.

She didn't even like it here when she was here.... and now she wants him to move here? Ha!

The OP didn't even mention anything about finances, career outlook, and the like (all factors in having a pleasant experience here). Considering their age, my guess is that their finances and career outlook are not very strong. Her bf is wisely avoiding what is likely a terrible idea that will end up with a terrible outcome.

The OP needs to be more flexible in her choice of cities or she will have to decide between her bf or Miami.

Moving here with no job and little money based on a fantasy like the OP wants to do is never a good idea. This is yet another example of this.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Atlanta isn't worth the trouble living in, unless you live in Midtown, Buckhead, people live out in the suburbs and think nothing of traveling 50-60 miles to work, don't know much about Charlotte, I know at one time sometime ago Mecklenburg county was infamous for its murders, nice looking city though known for its banking industry.

Charlotte is awesome. It does have issues on the north side I believe with gangs, etc. But you or I wouldn't ever be in that area for any reason. Easy to stay out of bad areas. Great climate, very friendly people for a city that size, and very good economy.

As for ATL... I have friends that live in the area, they live in Alpharetta which to me is like a hilly vversion of Lake Mary. Big enough that they dont have to go to ATL if they dont need to. Awesome climate, nice scenery, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami