Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:38 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,069,155 times

Advertisements

Happened in a "safe" part of kendall Kendall Girl Attacked While Roller Blading - Local News Story - WTVJ | Miami

Which reminds me...and I never told anyone here about this before. Back in 1993 I stopped by a gas station right off Coral Way and the Palmetto...you can see it while you are driving southbound on the palmetto on the right hand side. Anyhow, it was around 11pm that night and I drove up to the pump when a big white dually pick up truck drove up right in front of my car to block me in I guess. There were two people inside. The passenger stayed put and I saw a hispanic white male without his shirt on and gold chains all around his neck stepped out of the truck. He had what looked like a 9mm silver gun in his hand and he was waiving with his gun for me to roll down my window. I of course thought to myself that I need to get the hell out of here quick. So I ducked, put the car in reverse and without giving 3 craps about who was behind me, reversed full force back onto Coral Way. I went right through the hedges and when I was on coral way, shifted from reverse to drive and peeled away heading westbound on Coral Way. As I peeled away, I heard two shots being fired. I kept driving and that time I had this very old unreliable cell phone brick. I tried calling the police but the battery was dead I think. Anyhow, I made it to Bird Bowl and called 911 from a payphone. Cops came...I was all bent out shape and accidently told them the incident occured on Bird and the Palmetto....when it was actually coral way and the palmetto. Plus, it was 3-4 minutes later. The suspect was long gone.

I looked at my car and noticed my left rear tire had been blown out by a bullet...the bullet had penetrated my rim. I also saw a bullet hole in the driver side rocker panel. The bullet missed my thigh by about 6 inches. Later that week, a detective came by and showed me a whole bunch of mug shots. none of them looked familiar. To this day, I am lucky to have made it out alive. I wonder how many more crimes that guy commited after my run in with him and I wonder whether he is dead (i hope), in jail, or still out on the loose and being dormant...itching to commit another crime. Who knows. 15 years later and now is when I finally get my concealed weapons permit and I am about to purchase a Glock 26. A friend of mine (Ray Vasquez) was the firefighter Lieutenant that was shot at Wendy's in Palm Beach a few weeks ago. I am sick of crime. I am sick of the disgusting maniacs on the street that will do whatever it takes to get money, get quick satisfaction. I am done with criminals. Anyhow, I am now ranting on...just wanted to share my experience and I urge everyone to PLEASE do not go out at night unless you absolutely positively need to do so. NO ATM's at night, NO getting gas at night. Be carefull....and YES...be paranoid. Your life depends on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 05:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,798,183 times
That's the same area that some kids set fire to the church. There has always been a lot of rif-raf at Spanish trace and the Wellington manor apartments. Nothing surprises me anymore. Even in the past there was crime, I had a gun pulled on me while driving on the Palmetto in my college days. Since it was my old truck I ran him off the road and called the police from Tropicaire drive-in. The car was stolen and the suspect long gone. Luckily I was not shot at, but I have a friend whose dad's truck was stolen. He shot the front tire and they only made it 1/4 mile more. You are very lucky you made it all the way to Bird Bowl with a bullet hole in your tire.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:50 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,156,005 times
Yeah, lucky you....that would have been scary. Thank god you didn't get hit when reversing onto Coral Way either.

Does it make you feel better when people on here post that this happens everywhere??? lol

I will also mention this isn't a bad area, this is an example of crime in a middle class area where homes go for 300-400K. I stay in at night too, it IS safer.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:14 PM

385 posts, read 1,893,820 times
crime was probably a lot worse in 1993 than it is now, just letting you know

Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,316,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
Crime was WORSE 15 years ago? I don't think so. After 1993 a lot fo the middle class left in the wake of Hurricane Andrew. Many neighborhoods went downhill very quickly in the years after that. I think crime is much worse now than before 1993.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,500,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
I hope this is a joke, but if you think this, I would have to disagree too. Areas that didn't have crime 15 years ago, have crime now. 15 years ago, crime mainly happened in certain areas, and happen occasionally in the "safer" areas. Now the safers areas have higher crime too. It has changed for the worse.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,952,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Areas that didn't have crime 15 years ago, have crime now. .
When were there areas populated with homosapiens that didn't have crime, let alone in the 80s in Miami? Crime is down from the 80s...and whether anyone wants to accept it or not is up to them, but practically every house in and around Miami was getting burglarized in the 80s because of the cocaine era (yeah, remember that?), so I don't know what you all are talking about and there were home invasions all over. Now home invasions are relatively uncommon and although there are still plenty of break-ins it's not the widespread problem it was in the 80s...like I said you guys don't have to accept it, but it's still in your heads, not reality. Home invasion robberies were rocking neighborhoods ALL OVER Dade and the other two counties. They were becoming ubiquitous even in "upscale" areas, sorry that's not the case anymore. So yeah, never be out at night now, stay inside. 15 years ago it wasn't even safe to be inside, whether you were aware of it or not.

Then there were the criminals following people home on a completely REGULAR basis from Dadeland Mall and other major shopping centers and pistol whipping them. That's not exactly a regular thing anymore. It's all about perception...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-24-2008 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 AM

9 posts, read 6,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
When were there areas populated with homosapiens that didn't have crime, let alone in the 80s in Miami? Crime is down from the 80s...and whether anyone wants to accept it or not is up to them, but practically every house in and around Miami was getting burglarized in the 80s because of the cocaine era (yeah, remember that?), so I don't know what you all are talking about and there were home invasions all over. Now home invasions are relatively uncommon and although there are still plenty of break-ins it's not the widespread problem it was in the 80s...like I said you guys don't have to accept it, but it's still in your heads, not reality. Home invasion robberies were rocking neighborhoods ALL OVER Dade and the other two counties. They were becoming ubiquitous even in "upscale" areas, sorry that's not the case anymore. So yeah, never be out at night now, stay inside. 15 years ago it wasn't even safe to be inside, whether you were aware of it or not.

Then there were the criminals following people home on a completely REGULAR basis from Dadeland Mall and other major shopping centers and pistol whipping them. That's not exactly a regular thing anymore. It's all about perception...

More reasons for everyone over 18 to carry a gun. ya think the bad guys would think twice before they tried to rob someone? unless you were alone.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,261,297 times
Kendall as a whole is not dangerous. The same things that go down there happens in every suburban area of South Florida.

This is an isolated incident, just as the shooting in Coral Springs and the mall robbery in Boca Raton.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,500,543 times
You guys would be surprised but the crime is up in Kendall. Way up, I have been watching this siteMiami-Dade County - My Neighborhood for a year... I have meet with some people in my area that are in contact with those that know, and they said crime is up. I don't believe those stats anymore, someone is cooking the books. And this will come out at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami