Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:49 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Point taken but all counties are not created equally. Population matters.

Of the top ten most populated counties in NC, 7 of them have a net gain from MiamiDade. Both Raleigh and Asheville seem to be the places that have the largest imbalance in migration tilted toward them. Of the three counties that sent more to MiamiDade than vice versa, the absolute migration numbers are either small or very close to migration equilibrium.

For Broward County, the migration story is even more tilted to NC. All 10 of the same NC counties gained more people from Broward than vice versa.

Palm Beach County continues the migration pattern but not to the same extent as Broward. Like MiamiDade, 7 of the 10 most populated counties in NC gained from migration with it.

Hillsborough County is more balanced with the the entire Charlotte area losing residents to it in greater numbers than it gains. However, both the Raleigh/Durham and Greensboro/Winston Salem area have a net advantage from Hillsborough. It's scorecard in NC is 5 to 5.

Pinellas County, like Hillsborough, does the best against NC with 5 of the top ten NC counties providing more migration. Again Charlotte provided more migrants to it than vice versa. One of NC's top ten counties didn't have any data making Pinellas a 5-4 winner.

Orange County is back to the same 7-3 with the advantage to NC.

Duval County is split 5-5 with NC but NC gets the advantage in the counties with the largest migration numbers.

The SW coast of Florida from Sarasota to Naples doesn't do particularly well against NC either but the data set is much more limited with fewer migrants making the move in either direction.

Overall, the brightest spot for Florida vs. NC seems to be its migration between Tampa Bay and the Charlotte area. Conversely, Raleigh and Asheville seem to do particularly well against Florida's major metros.

Also note that the most recent time slice is 2010.

That's the housing bubble bust, when people were leaving Florida in droves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 10:50 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Some people don't want the McMansions or fancy cars.
But they can buy a bigger house in NC for less money... How is that "not wanting a McMansion" ?

Old 02-12-2016, 11:27 AM

25 posts, read 43,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If they don't want McMansions and fancy cars, then they surely don't want Florida because that describes much of the burbs in the state.
In much of Florida, it's giant McMediterraneans.
In most of every state I've been to it's giant McMansions, small McMansions - just endless tract homes. Be it Florida, North Carolina, California or even Connecticut, Massachusetts.

Well ok I'll strike Connecticut and Massachusetts off the list, in New England, most of the houses have character.

But what separates certain states from others is the ability to *not* live in a McMansion. I don't know North Carolina too well, but I suspect they really don't have any option but small or large McMansion. In Miami you have the huge condominium towers with awesome views - not for everyone, for example my own mother hates to be on a high floor and loves a backyard - but it's an option that doesn't exist in North Carolina as far as I understand.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2MIA5 View Post
In most of every state I've been to it's giant McMansions, small McMansions - just endless tract homes. Be it Florida, North Carolina, California or even Connecticut, Massachusetts.

Well ok I'll strike Connecticut and Massachusetts off the list, in New England, most of the houses have character.

But what separates certain states from others is the ability to *not* live in a McMansion. I don't know North Carolina too well, but I suspect they really don't have any option but small or large McMansion. In Miami you have the huge condominium towers with awesome views - not for everyone, for example my own mother hates to be on a high floor and loves a backyard - but it's an option that doesn't exist in North Carolina as far as I understand.
It does exist but certainly not in the same quantities that it does in Florida.
There are other options as well beyond either tract homes and towers.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Also note that the most recent time slice is 2010.

That's the housing bubble bust, when people were leaving Florida in droves.
To be fair, the economy collapse wasn't necessarily good to NC either. As a huge banking hub, Charlotte took a huge hit and they lost a lot of jobs. So, one also can't presume that those migration patterns still persist.
On a side note, I clearly made it clear in my post with that link that the data was from the beginning of the decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami