Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:48 PM

41 posts, read 169,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
We make over $100,000 and have good jobs and a nice home. I cannot wait to get out of here. I would rather be struggling and be where I wanted to be, near my kids, have the 4 seasons, be in a "blue state", than have the material things that money buys. I have lived on both sides.

Money cannot buy you happiness.
But Id rather be unhappy with money than without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:27 PM

70 posts, read 243,615 times
money does make a difference....and for people who never had money and grew up poor..money would make them happy, money makes intolerable situations tolerable at least for a while.

i'm now realizing people who do make a considerable amount of money than i do, could not begin to understand my point of view or where i'm coming from..

Old 02-04-2008, 07:36 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohope View Post
money does make a difference....and for people who never had money and grew up poor..money would make them happy, money makes intolerable situations tolerable at least for a while.

i'm now realizing people who do make a considerable amount of money than i do, could not begin to understand my point of view or where i'm coming from..
I agree, money will allow you to at least to move if you don't like where you are.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM

548 posts, read 540,942 times
I was happy when I was dirt poor and eating hotdogs three meals a day, and I'm happy now with some coin. Same with all my friends. Give me good health, everything else is gravy.

Most people live above their means no matter how much they make. Just look at the debt figures in the US. And most people do not take care of their health. Look at the overweight percentage in the US. We are a nation of out of shape, healvily in debt people....not a recipe for happiness.

We lived up north for 30 years...in some very affluent areas and some poorer areas. Lots and lots of totally miserable people in the high income areas. You see them in the grocery stores after work looking like walking death, all stressed out from the job and trying to take the kids to 50 silly activities.

S. FL has no monopoly on depressed people, from all income levels.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:43 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
CJ

great post

Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
I was happy when I was dirt poor and eating hotdogs three meals a day, and I'm happy now with some coin. Same with all my friends. Give me good health, everything else is gravy.

Most people live above their means no matter how much they make. Just look at the debt figures in the US. And most people do not take care of their health. Look at the overweight percentage in the US. We are a nation of out of shape, healvily in debt people....not a recipe for happiness.

We lived up north for 30 years...in some very affluent areas and some poorer areas. Lots and lots of totally miserable people in the high income areas. You see them in the grocery stores after work looking like walking death, all stressed out from the job and trying to take the kids to 50 silly activities.

S. FL has no monopoly on depressed people, from all income levels.

so how old were you , when you were dirt poor?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:51 PM

I have been dirt poor as well in my life. To be honest I think I felt more at piece in many ways when I was dirt poor. But I think a lot more factors go into that than just being dirt poor. Meh.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:55 PM

living dirt poor is not what is used to be.....that was back in the days when times were different..

Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 PM

^^

That is true, you don't have many of the social benefits now that you had back in the days. It is definitely tougher to make a go at it with no money now.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:23 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
I dunno. I make less than that. I bought my house 7 years ago. I dont *like* living here. But i tolerate it. Id love to move, but houses aint selling so I get by. I have no kids and no wife tho! If I did I can all but assure you my answer would be different. Very hard to raise a family here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami