Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 AM

558 posts, read 385,643 times

Advertisements

Lot's of people loosing their homes. A mass exodus of middle and upper middle class people out of the city. Influx of immigrants who don't speak a word of english and do not appreciate or understand Miami or American way of life. Crime going up, especially in Miami Gardens, North Miami, Downtown, and Homestead/Florida City.

What's going on with Miami? Is Miami really an over-rated city?
What does Miami have to offer besides the beach, bars, clubs and a few places to eat?

Any world class museums, major attractions? The Carnival Center??? With No parking??? That's Ghetto..it would never happen in NYC, LA, Houston, Chicago...why here?

Is South Flordia overrated? Too Expensive, to many hurricanes, lack of activities?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:53 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Oye, tipo, a mi Miami me encanta. Para visitarla.

Seriously, Miami is kind of overrated. If I had to live in So. Fla., it would be Broward or, better yet, Palm Beach County. Miami's WOW factor lies at the waterfront...Bayside, the Cruise Terminal, Miami Beach. Beyond that and inland, it's kind of vapid. Especially immediately inland from downtown where you have those small homes with CHAIN LINK fences around them. But you can only do the touristy stuff so many times if you live there. There are good ethnic eats, for sure. Every time I go, I make a couple of trips to Calle Ocho to stock up on pastelitos de guayava, pastelitos de carne and croquetas to snack on while driving my rental car.

The last time I was there was in April 2003. I had just come back from a 2-week vacation to South America, the first time and loved it (except Brazil). At any rate, at that time, the house prices were very reasonable and, coming from the West, I thought this could be cool. Now, the difference isn't enough to warrant a move.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:29 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Hey John,this whole country is going downhill not just Miami alone. There are a lot of American cities that are overrated and decaying.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Miami has been going downhill since the 80's. The city has become overpopulated, overpriced and the problems only get worse. I think that Miami is permanently obsolete, at least in our lifetimes. Other cities like LA, NYC and San Francisco share this fate.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:10 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami has been going downhill since the 80's. The city has become overpopulated, overpriced and the problems only get worse. I think that Miami is permanently obsolete, at least in our lifetimes. Other cities like LA, NYC and San Francisco share this fate.
NYC will never share the same fate as Miami, it is the most important city in America financially. I don't know much about LA to speak on it, so can't make the same judgment call. But, the day NYC is no longer relevant in America, that is the day you need to think about moving to another country. NYC is over priced but it still holds this countries financiale sector, holds the top three spots for movie and tv production, has the arts and cultural sectors as well.

As to Miami, I think it has TONS of potential, I mean its the gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America. That, along is a HUGE selling point. But with the level of corruption and the lack of sound urban planning, Miami remains a 3rd world city in America. Think about if they actually got huge, diverse multinational companies, that paid well down here?! These companies would probably do most of their business in the Caribbean and Latin America. Also, if they built a elevated train system through out Miami, alleviating the reliance on auto transport. Miami just needs the right person(s) to come in and make it happen. Will this happen? Maybe, maybe not, I can't call it but, if it did, then Miami could be a top tier city.

I would still leave South Florida even if they did pull this off, because its not my cup of tea. But it certainly would improve the cities future.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Miami is second to New York in Financial banking,I harldy call that a third-world city. I would say corruption is in all big city government to some degree from what I've read on other forums. I see a lot of urban planning going on in Miami,it just that you have to change the mentality of people's thinking in using public transportation and less reliance on a car.
I think it would be a good idea to try to draw multinational corporations here that paid good salaries. It would depend on the educational level of this city and how much growh we can afford to have in an already crammed city with the parameters very limited unless we become more urbanized

Old 02-09-2008, 12:44 PM

53 posts, read 58,152 times
"What's going on with Miami? Is Miami really an over-rated city?"

Over-rated? I thought that most ppl hated Miami anyway, even those who dont live there. As far as going downhill, when was this sudden "change?" Hasnt it always been (some excpeptions though) dumpy?

Old 02-09-2008, 12:47 PM

53 posts, read 58,152 times
"Miami is second to New York in Financial banking,I harldy call that a third-world city."

Incorrect. Charlotte NC is. And please dont even begin to compare these two cities. Charlotte wins without much of an effort.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:04 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Miami just needs the right person(s) to come in and make it happen. Will this happen? Maybe, maybe not, I can't call it but, if it did, then Miami could be a top tier city.
I must spread some reputation around before giving it to Wild Style again ... but this is an excellent point. Miami, along with all of South Florida, needs honest, intelligent and aggressive leadership to rise above what it is now. With a population base of almost 2.5 million in Miami-Dade and almost 6 million in the region as a whole, there should be a few good leaders out there (though it's obvious they have yet to emerge in Miami-Dade or Broward).

Old 02-09-2008, 01:07 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Lot's of people loosing their homes. A mass exodus of middle and upper middle class people out of the city. Influx of immigrants who don't speak a word of english and do not appreciate or understand Miami or American way of life. Crime going up, especially in Miami Gardens, North Miami, Downtown, and Homestead/Florida City.

What's going on with Miami? Is Miami really an over-rated city?
What does Miami have to offer besides the beach, bars, clubs and a few places to eat?

Any world class museums, major attractions? The Carnival Center??? With No parking??? That's Ghetto..it would never happen in NYC, LA, Houston, Chicago...why here?

Is South Flordia overrated? Too Expensive, to many hurricanes, lack of activities?
God , have not we rehashed this topic on here like a hundred times .... geez , yeah we know Miami sucks .... tell me something new .... this forum is making me want to move .... maybe the Detroit forum is more positive ... I hear housing is cheaper up there !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami