Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:59 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times

Advertisements

Was the real issue here Fried Chicken? Are we seriously debating where to eat fast food? I somehow think not.

( Personally, I didn't even realize people still eat stuff like that )

I guess I'm one of those people still thinking I live in paradise!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:11 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
[quote=blksophisticado;3378151WHAT DOES MIAMI HAVE? NOTHING !!! [/QUOTE]

If you aren't too xenophobic, you can always try one of the numerous Cuban cafeterias that dot the Miami landscape. Have a delicious Sandwich Cubano prepared in just minutes. Sometimes you have to wait in a huge line to get that too though. There are several other Latin American cafeterias in Miami that offer cheap, fast, delicious food that is relatively unique to Miami. I mean, you might be too xenophobic because of the rude arrogant ignorant rude rude rude rude Miami Latin people, but there are Cuban and Nicaraguan spots where you can eat good fast, and that's what we have to offer. Yes I know I can get Cuban in Union City, NJ or Nicaraguan on the west coast, but this is something Miami is known for, if you want to accept it or not. I mean, you could always write another post (in all caps) talking about what a joke that is, but hey, I could laugh at your minuscule LA hot dog stand too, however I will give your town more credit than that because it deserves it. But Miami deserves more credit than you gave it too.

I would like to add that my last bad fast food experience wasn't in Florida (I acutally live in Broward, don't live in Miami and probably never will), it was in Cary, NC, the promised land, although I will not reiterate my experience. You are right, sometimes you do have to patronize a fast food restaurant and you have no other options, and you shouldn't except crappy service. Miami isn't a good city for this. Thank god I don't live there (there, I admitted it). If I have to stop at a Burger King (based in Miami, sir) or a Mickey D's it is very rare that I get treated like you did. However, I give credit where it's due, and you just aren't giving it any.

About me "sounding like an idiot" because I am telling you to buy fried chicken as a "real restaurant", there are some real soul food establishments in Miami like Jumbo's. I understand that this isn't true all over and sometimes you just want some fried chicken and the closest option is Moderator cut: name, but they don't have Pink's everywhere in LA either if you want a hot dog. See how that works? I don't know where you got the idea that "real" means "five star". To me it just means family or locally owned and if one is looking to find such an establishment, they can.

Anyway, I am glad you made it back to LA and wish the best for you there.

I just read your comment about me through that sea of caps about having leisure time. As far as "having all of the leisure time in the world", well, I do happen to predominately work from home, but it's sales, so I have to be out there sometimes, and I have to be out there quick. So yes, I do rely on fast food during those times. And like I said, I haven't had any bad experiences with the fast food, although Popeye's in general has a reputation for rude service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
I'M SORRY TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE BUT I WAS BORN IN THE U.S.A.
Okay, and I am a third generation American, pure gringo. I could see how you got started with people in Miami if you really need to defend yourself by making comments like that...

Last edited by Keeper; 04-07-2008 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: removed retaurant name..

Old 04-07-2008, 01:09 PM

106 posts, read 380,522 times
Default my friend doesn't eat spicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I was also going to question the fact that he didn't get ALL spicy chicken lol. That's the reason to go to popeyes. I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of most fried foods but sometimes it does hit the spot.
i was splitting the box with my cuban friend who hates absolutely anything
PICANTE. he hates spicy food.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
i was splitting the box with my cuban friend who hates absolutely anything
PICANTE. he hates spicy food.
Aw man he doesn't know what he is missing lol. PBCboy was accurate when he said Popeyes in Atlanta is much better. That was the last time I went to Popeye's and they are much nicer and friendlier than the ones down here. I haven't found the other franchises to be any better/worse (depends on where it is like here) but I admit the spicy chicken and the battered fries are good lol.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:43 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
Quote:
IGNORANT, RUDE, IGNORANT, RUDE, IGNORANT RUDE, IGNORANT RUDE.
DID I FORGET IGNORANT AND RUDE.
LOL, how do you think this makes you look?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:46 AM

66 posts, read 268,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
It seems that people expect things to change instantly for them, for the better, upon setting foot into the MIA airport.

I agree. After reading all these replies, I am still going to try my life in Miami.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
angela: Where are you moving from? My husband and I are planning on moving next year from out west, mountains.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 AM

66 posts, read 268,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
angela: Where are you moving from? My husband and I are planning on moving next year from out west, mountains.
[SIZE=3]I am looking to move to Tampa or Miami .. (not sure yet)
No offense to the people who have lived or are currently living in Miami(Florida) but I want to go there on my own and figure out if the place is for me or not. I hear good and bad things, but I want to see on my own what Florida is all about. I'll take the sunny weather over the cold New England weather any day! I am not going down there to party, and I dont think it's going to be a vacation, I dont have any high expectations. I think that's the problem with most people , as someone else replied before. But the beach/ocean and outdoors activities in Miami appeal to me more than anything here in New England. The majority of people who leave Boston for Florida do end up coming back, but I know quite a few who are still there, and they love it. Everyone is different, and everyone enjoys different things. It's better to try out something than always wonder "what if" so my advice is give it a try, and if you hate it go back..
Best of luck to everyone!!
[/SIZE]

Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
Good luck to you Angela. I agree, it seems to be more of a personal matter. Not everyone is cut out for certain areas, thank goodness we have quite the large country and plenty of room to spread out!

I am interested in this new Mary Brickell Village. What is it exactly?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:15 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
...you're right. There, I said it. I moved to Miami from Illinois in December despite all the warnings people gave me on here. I thought, "oh, these people are surely just a small group of people who don't like such a vibrant, tropical city", and moved anyway. You said, "you'll grow to hate Miami. Just give it time." And you were right. Having lived in numerous cities, I thought I could surely adapt anywhere--and how could I go wrong with luxurious Miami, the "paradise"? My tainted, optimistic view of Miami lasted about a month. I simply can't stand it here anymore. Even the warm weather and ocean are outweighed by all of Miami's severe problems. I'm searching for jobs in another state as we speak...

So, to those thinking about moving to Miami--don't. Really. Listen to the people on here, because I sure didn't. To those who gave me advice months ago when I posted about wanting to move here, I apologize for not taking your comments seriously.
I have been really busy the last two months, I missed this thread somehow.

Sorry, to hear that reality has hit. Usually it takes longer for people to see the reality. On average those that have moved here lately last about 3 years max (that I have met). But you have realized things a lot sooner, sorry to hear. Miami (South Florida for that matter) is a huge smoke and mirrors kind of place. What you see on vacation isn't really what South Florida is like. But that can go for many other places too in this country.

It takes a lot of guts to admit that we were right. I thank you for admitting that. What we say on here many times is negative, and its hard to believe things can be this bad even if you live in a good area. But it just is. Its really sad to watch my hometown go down hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami