Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:31 AM

72 posts, read 108,203 times

Advertisements

I travel a lot on business and come in contact with lots of strangers in the various places I visit. What is just amazing to me in an era of mass media, social media and relocations, is how different the social culture is SO DIFFERENT from one part of America than another.

I recently spent a month in Texas doing training sessions and came in contact with maybe a thousand different strangers and was just shocked how friendly, kind and helpful everyone was.

A few months ago I was in the greater Miami area and had contact with maybe a thousand strangers. It was incredible how many people were rude and cold to me in the greater Miami area. At best they were coldly indifferent. I kept thinking what is up with the people in Miami?

So, am I right? Is Miami Americas coldest rudest city to strangers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:35 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Is Miami the worst? I don't think so. I think NYC is far worse than Miami. Generally speaking, Miami is full of tourists and I think they are usually in a good mood and somewhat friendly. Nothing like Texas, but not THAT bad.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:33 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Nope! Never heard that about Miami until this thread. The distinction of the most unfriendly city is usually reserved for the larger cities in the Northeast where I was born and raised.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 04-12-2016 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Changed content.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Nope! Never heard that about Miami until this thread. The distinction of the most unfriendly city is usually reserved for the larger cities in the Northeast where I was born and raised.
After I did the post this morning I thought about and decided to google: Unfriendly Miami

An incredible amount of people have talked online about how cold and unfriendly it is in Miami.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:55 PM

179 posts, read 308,608 times
Hell yeah it is.

Why would people walk around happy? It's over-crowded, expensive and scorching hot.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:13 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
OP

1. There would be no way to assess this.
2. Anecdotal evidence is NOT evidence and not reliable. If you really want to learn something instead of telling us your biased views - Google that phrase in #2. and come back and tell us what you learned.

Texas may be friendly because of many small towns and its more homogeneous - not near as many people from all over the world. The culture is a friendly one but this is only my experience from living in all parts for about 40 years. Still Anecdotal.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:15 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Yes, it very well could be. The big cities in the north east have more people, so by sheer number there are more X type of people. But overall, Miami is full of people who have minimal roots to the city and know this is the only place they can behave this way-and get away with it. It's a vicious cycle, people are indifferent to rude consistently and people just function with their guards up. Some people blame the tourist sector, low-paying jobs combined with high prices for housing and COL and the transient nature of the region with maddening traffic thrown in for good measure. Add to all that the overpopulation of the area resulting in long lines everywhere only to be rewarded with crappy customer service at the end as the cherry on the top. Whatever it is, you are not alone in your revelation. Only the realtors on this board or newbies tend to not see this.

I would venture to say most places in FL are on the unfriendly side. Lots of shadiness and scammers, morese per capita compared to other places. FL just attracts that element. I guess the palm trees and beaches are a lure for all kinds of people.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:37 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
After I did the post this morning I thought about and decided to google: Unfriendly Miami

An incredible amount of people have talked online about how cold and unfriendly it is in Miami.
Do me a favor; Google unfriendly: New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:39 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
People who work at low paying jobs in an expensive region are going to be meaner. Miami is not the worst as you see this in NYC, San Francisco, LA, etc. Even inland you can see suspicion and unfriendliness to people they do not know. Then again if California legalizes Cannabis for recreational use, maybe Miami will be unfriendly by default?

Old 04-13-2016, 06:06 AM

According to Travel and Leisure, Miami is America's second rudest city:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/slid...udest-cities/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
OP

1. There would be no way to assess this.
2. Anecdotal evidence is NOT evidence and not reliable. If you really want to learn something instead of telling us your biased views - Google that phrase in #2. and come back and tell us what you learned.

Texas may be friendly because of many small towns and its more homogeneous - not near as many people from all over the world. The culture is a friendly one but this is only my experience from living in all parts for about 40 years. Still Anecdotal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami