Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 15,289 times

Advertisements

Evening guys.

I live in a house in Coral Gables. I have neighbors on either side of me (one not up against my house, but on the same street, the other one is next to me) who like to party and play loud, loud music. One neighbor would do this all Saturday night and into Sunday afternoon every weekend, until one weekend, the cops came out. I did not call them. Now if they party or play music, it's quiet.

The neighbors closer to me do the same thing. They're not as bad though. Their music is still obnoxious, but not cranked all the way up. But they yell, and clap, and do this thing where none of them can talk like normal human beings, they all have to yell what they're saying to each other. Sometimes they rent tents and chairs for these weekend parties and the rental guys block me into my driveway with their huge truck (grr), but that's not the neighbors fault, really. Either way, they're clearly not kids. This isn't hip hop or dance music they're playing. But it's still loud and all night, and it can be heard through our whole house.

My issue is this. I've called the police for DOMESTIC noise before. People screaming obscenities, etc. In those cases, it's really clear-cut whether or not you should get involved (hint: hell to the no.) But here, I'm stuck on a fence. On one hand, I don't want to be a jerk to a bunch of adults just having a nice time and not being super crazy, but on the other hand, if I go over there and identify myself, I could open myself up to retaliation. I don't trust people here in Miami for obvious reason - we're all *******s here. I can hold my own, but I really don't want to open myself up to a neighbor situation if I can help it, and if I remain anon with the police, I can help do that. Like tonight (yes, Christmas) I have to work at 7AM tomorrow morning. I can't be up listening to them all night.

What do you think? What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 04:51 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Move ?

Old 12-25-2016, 07:41 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Either call the police, speak with them in person or send them an anonymous letter

Old 12-25-2016, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 15,289 times
The situation resolved itself last night. They got crazier than they've ever been and I felt OK calling the police, at which point they took the party inside... seem like the type of people to wait to have the nudge to go inside before giving a crap about their neighbors. Not reason enough for me to move though, I love our house. Neighbors are literally the only negative.

Thanks guys.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
There ought to be some kind of county-wide noise ordinance thing. If you wanna have a party with loud music, do it indoors! As you said, some people do have to wake up early for work and they shouldn't lose sleep just because some noisy m#$%!@^s have no respect for their neighbors.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:33 PM

459 posts, read 474,744 times
I've had that problem. Except it was with three different neighbors. Two of them were house rentals and one was an actual owner. The rental houses I called the cops on and the one house owner I talked to in person. In that town if the police are called to a rental house it's a strike against the home owner. After you get so many strikes you cannot rent out the house anymore. It was put in place because there was so many rental houses that the police were getting called to on a daily basis and the owner of the houses didn't care. This was a way to make the house owners start caring who they rent to. I think one got evicted eventually. I'm no longer in that neighborhood. There was to many trashy people for my liking in that neighborhood.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:58 PM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
It seems like you're pretty sensitive to noise. It's possible that you had your windows open, but if they weren't and you were running the AC, it's time to think about how well insulated your home is. If you replace regular windows with Hurricane resistant ones, you'll also cut down on the noise.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:28 AM

40 posts, read 55,617 times
I'm in the very same situation. I love my house, but some days really hate the neighbors to the side of my house. Funny thing is every time we went to view the property (I'm talking like 5 times), there was zero noise. None (they must have been on vacation). Anyways these people as well do not know how to talk to each other unless they are screaming, and the lady that lives in there spends all day screaming and cursing at her kid. I don't know how they do it, but everything they do creates loud noise.

We've come to the conclusion the problem is with our windows as they provide nothing in the way of noise dampening / blocking, so I am going to look into the hurricane resistant windows as they provide a lot more noise dampening than what is currently on there.

It sucks to have to spend money because the lousy neighbors don't know how to act civilized, but as I said earlier we do love our home and thus the cost may be worth it. I have thought of packing up and moving, but what guarantee do I have that the next neighbors wont be worse?

I've often thought "I'll be doing a lot more research on the neighbors the next time I purchase a home," but I also see how those neighbors could be great, then one day move and the next neighbors be awful. So it seems like there is no way to win really.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:21 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,725 times
Miami Dade county has an noise ordinance that is in effect 24/7. They rarely like to enforce it because they have other fish to fry. I have had issues like this and once they refused to come even though obviously drunk people were pouring out of the party and getting into cars and driving away. They only cam when a massive fight broke out. Guess they wanted some action on their call. (not ripping the police because they are very busy. I was joking)

One solution (if you have a dog) is to save up the poop and go out and cook it on the grill when the party becomes offensive to you. The result will be obvious and will chase them inside. You need to get creative. Start your own loud party at 7am.

Seriously you should document the calls to the police and their actions and go to the city attorney and see if they can help you. At some point you might be able to sue the city to get them to act.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:50 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Miami Dade county has an noise ordinance that is in effect 24/7. They rarely like to enforce it because they have other fish to fry. I have had issues like this and once they refused to come even though obviously drunk people were pouring out of the party and getting into cars and driving away. They only cam when a massive fight broke out. Guess they wanted some action on their call. (not ripping the police because they are very busy. I was joking)

One solution (if you have a dog) is to save up the poop and go out and cook it on the grill when the party becomes offensive to you. The result will be obvious and will chase them inside. You need to get creative. Start your own loud party at 7am.

Seriously you should document the calls to the police and their actions and go to the city attorney and see if they can help you. At some point you might be able to sue the city to get them to act.

I don't believe the police have a choice but to show up when called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami