Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:22 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Yes, I know. You can only ask 'what service does it provide' to the owner.

My staff had to take the ADA training at Marriott a few times.

Don't pet them, don't ask for papers, etc.

Though emotional support dogs aren't ADA protected, its just a local issue if they want to protect them or not. Most people just don't want to get sued so they avoid asking any questions.
I don't even get why anyone would call it an emotional support dog. From my reading, there is no "doctor certified disability" required to have a service dog that falls within ADA guidelines. Absolutely nothing is required other than you declaring you need help with something (non-psychological) and your dog provides this service. "My dog provides assistance with hearing" - done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 05:40 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
I dont know...proof, in the form of a placard in plain view, is required to park in a handicapped space. It would make it easier for everyone if this also was in effect with service animals at all times instead of just taking a person's word as truth.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-14-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,005 times
The way to resolve the issue would be for the ADA to issue collars that are a certain color and have an ADA tag on it. No need to know what service the dog would provide. The tag would have a clear expiration date also.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:46 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Wow, nice reply! Very friendly and offered a lot of important information.
You asked specifically why malls allow dogs in malls and I told you. They've made the financially astute decision that they'd rather have shoppers bring their dogs with them and spend money at stores in the mall than to prohibit the dogs and have the shoppers purchase their items from someone else on line instead. What part of that don't you understand?

Quote:
True.

Though most of the service dogs for vision/hearing wear their vests. The tiny ones people carry around at the mall don't qualify under ADA and would fall under state guidelines for being allowed in a public place like a mall/restaurant/etc.
There are no regulations pertaining to dogs in public places other than health regulations pertaining to food. It is simply a matter of whether the owner of the privately-owned "public place" wants to allow dogs.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:51 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You asked specifically why malls allow dogs in malls and I told you. They've made the financially astute decision that they'd rather have shoppers bring their dogs with them and spend money at stores in the mall than to prohibit the dogs and have the shoppers purchase their items from someone else on line instead. What part of that don't you understand?
Clever editing FoxNews...except you left out the part where you accused me of using the mall as my personal playground. Then I slapped you back to reality when I informed you there is an ACTUAL PLAYGROUND inside the mall that I take my son to.
So then you tried to edit out that part and type some wanna-be helpful reply and make it sound like I can't comprehend.

Good try, didn't work, best of luck next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami