Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 04:54 PM

91 posts, read 152,082 times

Advertisements

i can hardly believe how many people complain about miami/south florida, and yet how few people complain about saint louis! crime rates in saint louis are so enormously high that miami is practically a WALK IN THE PARK compared to saint louis! (technically, you are about 3 to 4 times more likely to be murdered in saint louis than you are in miami.) so for those who live in miami/south florida and complain about crime, be thankful that you don't live in saint louis or detroit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 08:24 PM

97 posts, read 646,773 times
I agree there are bad areas of any city.Los Angeles is probably the worst that I have seen.The gangs are beginning to move into what once were nice middle class areas.There is a senseless murder of someone who had nothing to do with the gang/crime lifestyle almost every week.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Miami had worse crime in the 70's and 80's than now. But people complain because it's supplimented by terrible traffic, impossible living expenses and teeming masses of refugees. Also the Miami of the past had crime concentrated in certain areas, and mostly among drug dealers in others. Today it's random and hits everywhere. Remember, crime is only part of why Miami is one of America's worst cities.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:11 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Lonely Chicagoan--Are you comparing apples to apples? It's the *city* of St. Louis that has the highest crime. St. Louis city is just a small portion of the total land area and of the total population of its metro area. The city's population is less than 400k, while the metro population is 2.5M+. I suspect you'd find Miami's "walk in the park" quite a bit diminished if you compared Miami city to St Louis city, or Miami-Dade metro to St. Louis metro.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:54 PM

512 posts, read 1,755,252 times
I enjoyed my last visit to Miami. I never once felt like I was in danger. Miami is a pretty tolerable city. I can drive in some towns in NJ and feel the need to lock my car doors. Never did that in Miami.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:39 AM

19 posts, read 81,231 times
Miami Really Is The Pits. Between The Rapist, Murders. Crack Being Sold As A Commodity, Illegal Aliens, Humid Inhospitable Weather Everyday Of The Year, Heatstroke, Skin Cancer And Hurricanes Coupled With Urban Blight/ Decay And Exploding Housing Prices And The Insane Traffic Going Just About Anywhere Anytime Of The Day. We Are Hell On Earth

Old 12-20-2006, 07:18 PM

91 posts, read 152,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
I enjoyed my last visit to Miami. I never once felt like I was in danger. Miami is a pretty tolerable city. I can drive in some towns in NJ and feel the need to lock my car doors. Never did that in Miami.
which areas/neighborhoods did you go through in miami?

Old 01-13-2007, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,350 times
i was raised in hialeah (miami city)i am from two cuban parents that came on EL Mariel...and trust me miami is NOT a walk in the park i still live here and theres drugs dealers on EVERY block and not ur regular marijuana dealer they also sell crack, meth, cocaine and every other illegal drug...and most carry weapons...most people around here when they need extra money they jump into someone's backyard and jack anything they could sell... i live like this and got into these ways eventually and i wouldnt recommend bringing a expensive car through here because ive seen cars get jacked all the time... i wouldnt recommend even comming through here because my own family has gotten jacked and mugged here...i dont know much about that saint louis place though...

Old 01-13-2007, 12:02 PM

130 posts, read 155,707 times
I lived in the Miami area most my life and can tell you if want to live away from the crime areas you will pay!! South Florida has turned into a third world cespool.Although i was in high school in the late 80's early 90's and it was the best time to be there.
One rule of thumb about the Mississippi river is: Start from the Gulf of Mexico and with your finger follow the river going North and every town along the river is no place to live, except maybe Minneapolis,Mn.If i offended someone that is happy in any of these locations, I do not appologize it is my opinion.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:33 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
I've been all over Dade county for years and overall I've felt safe.Use common sense and you'll most likely avoid being a target.Those that post that crime is off the chains in Miami are wrong,or they live in the gehtto such as overtown where yeah,it can be bad.

South Florida has problems,and its a huge metro area but compared to some other places its not that bad.Personally Im leaving,but not because of crime and I don't live in a area gated with security sheesh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami