Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 10:27 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,336 times

Advertisements

I really don't understand it.

I love Florida in the winter. Noting like landing into 80 degree weather when it's cold up north.

I've honestly met my boiling point with the mean and nasty people in south Florida. Why are people so rude to visitors? They are rude on the phone. They are rude on the roads. Rude to tourists. Rude to each other. And, people claim New Yorkers are rude. They don't hold a candle to the barbaric attitudes in south Florida.

Why is south Florida so rude, especially to to tourists and people who want to spend money in and boost their economy?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 10:36 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Try the west coast of Florida, there are more midwesterners here, both seasonal and year round. I grew up on FL east coast and agree they are less nice there, run ya over. On west coast they might run ya over but it will be due to poor eyesight and/or age not rudeness.

I have family on east coast but spouse will not go back, last trip took it out of him.
I think there are just too many tourists in SE FL and the locals are fed up. Too much traffic, can't get a table for dinner out at a normal hour and a thousand other annoyances.

Have you noticed that the 80 degree weather is all over south Florida? It doesn't just happen on the SE coast, you could go inland and get the same weather and a lot less people.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:42 PM

676 posts, read 720,631 times
Good question. I'm new to south Florida. Moved here in May. While I've met many nice people, the vibe is as you describe. I'm not liking it and looking to move elsewhere in the future. Ill stay the winter because as you stated the winters are beautiful here.

I would love to see the responses you get because quite honestly, the rudeness shocks me. I also get the feeling that seniors aren't the fav here either. {I'm 65} Could be the way some of them drive, but I've seen the rudeness even in stores. I don't think I imagine this. I feel it. Like forgive me for living and not dying younger.

You're not alone in noticing the rudeness and nastiness here. Some claim its the traffic and the crowds when snowbirds come down. I see the difference in traffic and crowds from 2 months ago, for sure, but, honestly, I saw the rudeness long before the snowbirds arrived.

Ill look forward to seeing the responses you get. Hang in there.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
I do not think it is any more friendlier nor ruder than many other places.

You have any specific examples? Most people are not walking around with that stupid, goofy smile for no reason like in a lot of other places in the US. They are also more direct in their talk and tone, not gaudy small talk about nothing.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:57 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
I usually get into confrontations everyday. I tend to put everyone in their place as if it was my duty to tame these people. I don’t have to do this anywhere else in the east coast, not even in New York as Im always treated with respect and courtesy. I don’t expect a smile or a howdy from anyone either. Don’t care about that stuff.

On some occasions, however, I know the person is not trying to be rude or nasty, but from a customer view, he/she can come across as such. I usually, in a friendly manner, have a conversation with them on body language and vocabulary. They usually see it and apologize telling me they just didn’t know certain things as customer service or social behavior. As long as they are willing to accept and learn is all good for me.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,843,568 times
South Florida has always been this way since the 1950s. You either thrive in that atmosphere ("You think you're rude? I'm gonna be even ruder than you!"), or you run away from it screaming and move to Tampa, Orlando, North Carolina, etc.

I believe that it has to do with the influx of immigrants. They are all in a bad mood, just trying to eke out a living in that brutally hot climate. You would be in a bad mood too if you had just left everything behind and were starting over in a place where you don't speak the language and there's a million others like you in the same situation competing for the same scraps. That's why you get treated like crap at the store, the DMV, the airport, etc. They are all in a BAD MOOD.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
South Florida has always been this way since the 1950s. You either thrive in that atmosphere ("You think you're rude? I'm gonna be even ruder than you!"), or you run away from it screaming and move to Tampa, Orlando, North Carolina, etc.

I believe that it has to do with the influx of immigrants. They are all in a bad mood, just trying to eke out a living in that brutally hot climate. You would be in a bad mood too if you had just left everything behind and were starting over in a place where you don't speak the language and there's a million others like you in the same situation competing for the same scraps. That's why you get treated like crap at the store, the DMV, the airport, etc. They are all in a BAD MOOD.

I don’t see the rudeness with the immigrants.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:40 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
It’s not THAT awful....people who complain the most are most likely from rural areas and/or have more contact with animals than humans....it’s not Mayberry RFD but it’s not opening minutes at Best Buy on Black Friday either.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Good question. I'm new to south Florida. Moved here in May. While I've met many nice people, the vibe is as you describe. I'm not liking it and looking to move elsewhere in the future. Ill stay the winter because as you stated the winters are beautiful here.

I would love to see the responses you get because quite honestly, the rudeness shocks me. I also get the feeling that seniors aren't the fav here either. {I'm 65} Could be the way some of them drive, but I've seen the rudeness even in stores. I don't think I imagine this. I feel it. Like forgive me for living and not dying younger.

You're not alone in noticing the rudeness and nastiness here. Some claim its the traffic and the crowds when snowbirds come down. I see the difference in traffic and crowds from 2 months ago, for sure, but, honestly, I saw the rudeness long before the snowbirds arrived.

Ill look forward to seeing the responses you get. Hang in there.

Do you realize that in this present society, there are many younger people that do not like SENIORS. It may have nothing to do with Florida. And they do not like SENIORS for many reasons......

Old 12-10-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Do you realize that in this present society, there are many younger people that do not like SENIORS. It may have nothing to do with Florida. And they do not like SENIORS for many reasons......

I get it because some old people are old cronies bent on complaining, not minding their own business, and I could go on and on. And I remember my dad saying that about the seniors in the senior center where he went to every day. That’s going back 20 or more years and not in SF. So yes, not only here. BUT, I, first of all told my kids to shoot me first if I ever became like some of the old cronies. SECONDLY, I’ve lived in NY, NJ, and PA and I’ve NEVER FELT the dislike of seniors like I do here. So I half agree with you. But hopefully you’ll understand a different point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami