Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:44 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,684 times

Advertisements

thats nice to hear someone coming back down...i have the feeling that (if) I continue to move from here, I may eventually come back. Kind of just need to breathe for a little bit ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Although Boca is a nice place, it's way too "new money" to be nicer than Coral Gables, a place that has been nice for nearly 100 years.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:55 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
OK...... for y'all who personally know what life in Coral Gables USED TO BE in the 60s and 70s............. here's my question......... do you know of any Florida city/town like that NOW ????? population under 40k, very safe, low traffic flow, beautiful surroundings, good city services, close to schools/medical/shopping ??? THATS where I wanna move !
How is Coral Gables different today than it was 30-40 years ago? Though I wasn't alive in the 60's or 70's, I have heard that Coral Gables now has more shops, restaurants, etc. and that it is perceived to be just as nice now as it ever has been. What has gone downhill in your opinion?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:05 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
How is Coral Gables different today than it was 30-40 years ago? Though I wasn't alive in the 60's or 70's, I have heard that Coral Gables now has more shops, restaurants, etc. and that it is perceived to be just as nice now as it ever has been. What has gone downhill in your opinion?
I think she is referring to the things she mentioned in this post:

Quote:
After actually living in Coral Gables for 40+ years I feel more than qualified to comment on its good and not-so-good qualities. It was MY paradise when I arrived in 1966 and I left in 2001 for my Oregon Adventure. YES, the traffic has annoyingly increased. In the 70s you could shoot a cannon down Miracle Mile and not hit anything (on a Sunday morning). When I left, it took 1/2 hour to drive one mile during rush-hour.

BUT, if I were to move back to Miami-Dade County...... The Gables would be my destination of choice because I consider it MY oasis surrounded by areas I try to avoid unless absolutely necessary to traverse.
Coral Gables and parts of South Miami truly are like little oases in the middle of a lot of other "stuff". The traffic has increased, partially I think because more people are forced to use back roads as opposed to major arteries. The Gables has melded more into the rest of its environment in that regard, despite the fact that the character of the area has largely remained fairly well intact, all things considered.

To the OP, I don't think there are any places like what you are asking for in South Florida anymore - all the little hidden jewels have been discovered. You will just have to take the good with the bad, because Coral Gables is fairly unique. Nothing newer will ever compare.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Default Yes, Coney

Quote:
OK...... for y'all who personally know what life in Coral Gables USED TO BE in the 60s and 70s............. here's my question......... do you know of any Florida city/town like that NOW ????? population under 40k, very safe, low traffic flow, beautiful surroundings, good city services, close to schools/medical/shopping ??? THATS where I wanna move !

The answer is:
Yes.
And, I did live in the Gables in the 70s.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:32 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
Coral Gables is a million times better than Boca. Coral Gables has history, old money, and has beautiful homes. Boca has cookie cutter homes and Town Center Mall.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:31 PM

108 posts, read 305,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Coral Gables is a million times better than Boca. Coral Gables has history, old money, and has beautiful homes. Boca has cookie cutter homes and Town Center Mall.
Uh Oh look out! Here comes da heat!!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
A STROLL DOWN MEMORY-LANE:

Taking my two toddlers to see Mary Poppins in the Coral Theatre in 1965.
The Kitchen Sink at Jahn's.
Danishes at Chippy's.

your turn...................................

Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 AM

18 posts, read 70,567 times
Well, I lived in the Gables LITERALLY 2 minutes away from UM.....right on the outskirts of the campus circle ....on Miller

I miss that old pad

In the 5 years I was there, it was nice and pretty...not much change

Old 05-27-2008, 02:38 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
We're moving back to CG from San Diego. We need a bit more urban (& urbane) existence than SD can give us.
LA is more our speed but family all in SoFla so ...

I would agree with most posters here, CG has more/varied restaurants then there used to be. Not a lot of the old places left, but most of them really weren't that great anyway (nostalgia is a strong flavor).
City still a pain to deal with, but would anyone complaining rather let people go hog wild? Not me, I want my neighbors house to look good too. Traffic is worse than it used to be, but the trolley is pretty convenient to get around downtown/on the Mile (is traffic better today ANYWHERE in the country?).
UM looks great and has lots going on, Matheson Hammock still a nice bike ride away.

If your looking for "Ol' Florida", you need to look in North Florida; St Aug area, panhandle. Some nice smaller more retirementty type communities.
If your looking for a really nice upscale community in an urban setting, I don't think the Gables can be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami