Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:24 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,194,310 times

Advertisements

It seems as though we are constantly beating up on the Miami area. I haven't been down to Miami in quite some time, but I recall there being some pretty nice places down there. South Beach in interesting. I recall seeing some nice places in Coral Gables. Key Biscane is a nice area. North Miami Beach isn't that bad. I'm sure there are other areas in Miami that are quite nice. It's close to the Keys and the Everglades.

I understand that Miami has been overrun with spanish speaking people; but I don't recall having any difficulty as an Anglo getting around down there. I never felt like I was going to be attacked or mugged in Miami. Now, I've been in some pretty rough areas of DC, New Orleans, Downtown Atlanta and NY City and can tell you that Miami is paridse compared to these areas.

Are people really flocking out of Miami? Or are there people who are flocking to Miami?

Old 09-27-2006, 03:49 PM

566 posts, read 2,059,721 times
Yeah..lots of spanish but it's not what one sees on FOX. We have different immigrations & most are political refugee's that really only come w/the refugee mentality & are truly grateful for the helping hand (even if you see them shouting on tv) but want to go back home, unlike other spanish speaking groups - they are not ungrateful or angry with the U.S., they are hurt cause everything was take away from them - home, family, just everything and want the U.S. to help them get back. All I can say is that it has become a unique place and we have all sorts of groups. Ohhh...yes there are still lots of nice places here & some full of these same immigrants or a mix of different groups or whatever....something for everyone, that's for sure.
You know what's beautiful? going to one of those Citzenship ceremonies...there one really sees whose who. Just this last one there were people from Croatia, Colombia, Switzerland, Venezuela, Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua, Jamaica, England, Canada, Africa on & on... I could probably write a book. This is what the U.S. is all about..and a beautiful thing.
As for the coming's or going's, I think it's both ways...lot of people with money coming in from the America's - everytime there is a political thing like for example in Venezuela, now w/the theatrical embarassing "Chavez the clown"- the elite flock over here before the commie's steal the shirts of their back, like happened with the Cuban's where they even have to leave their wedding rings/watches/anything of value in a basket before they leave -though, they come poor they are one of the hardest working people one can ever encounter and they strive/make it one way or another.
As for me, like I've stated in other posts, I've been here forever & want to leave. Not that any certain group is pushing me out, crime or whatnot that one always hears but I come from old Miami and need leg room & I want a spanking new shiny home and of course in an area where I won't get ripped off from Insurance companies & want lower taxes. Though, unfortunately I have to wait till my husband retires.

Last edited by lulu; 09-27-2006 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-27-2006, 05:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,790,429 times
So says lulu! I think we are the only Miamians on the board (though I'm not native but been here 12 years) & so we seem to be in agreement, other than the fact that you want to leave.
I would like to travel & see our beautiful country, but I can't imagine living anywhere else.
(It's too cold!!! )

I hated Miami when I first moved here (deja vu - I know I posted this exact thing in another thread a while back, but here it is again ) because I was used to everyone speaking ENGLISH - & I'm from NY!!! There is every nationality in the world there, TONS of spanish people, but EVERYONE spoke/speaks English!!! I assume it's because most of the spanish people are Puerto Rican & that's American...

But I grew to appreciate not knowing what the hell anyone was saying!!!
And I "feel" for the Cuban people - they want to see THEIR country free! Viva Cuba!
I also LOVE guarapo & colada!!!!!!!!!!
And Haitians are some of the nicest people I've ever encountered! (The slowest drivers! , but the nicest people!) And there are many!!!

Miami is SO diverse! People from every country & every state!
I mean, the majority are some form of Hispanic, Haitian, American (black & white) & Jews! And gays! And of course TONS of NYers!

I said before - the only thing I really HATE about Miami is the glitzy/Hollywood (CA) type BS!
The hip, chic, happening superficial garbage.
But in day to day living, that's not "real" - it's real to those who are wrapped up in that sort of thing, but that's anywhere USA.

The weather, the culture, the access to anything & everything...
If only there were more land! (& if it were affordable!)

Miami is just a great place to live!

Old 09-28-2006, 07:56 AM

You're native enough...we're all from someplace else in the U.S. or our ancestors & I don't like superficial people either. My neighbors already know me..and they even laugh at me driving my old Toyota, do I care even a teeny bit? No. Anyhow, they don't laugh in a bad way...as a matter of fact the other day one of their jag's broke and guess whom they called for a ride...??? ha, ha...

You know that ceremony info was given to me by a Colombian gal that just became a citizen...she said she got all emotional/crying at the event - and understood for the first time what it was to be a U.S. citizen.

As everyone knows here...I believe in 1 language as the glue that holds us together, but you know...now that you mention you appreciated not knowing what anybody says...maybe, it's better not to know everything everyone is saying and act deaf?....could this be a solution to a peaceful existence ???

Ohh...thought I'd add a thing on the colada...(espresso coffee) & I came out in the Herald with this tip..(yeah, yeah...little old boring me.)
The article was called something like "Try starbucks quallity coffee for a buck or so.." can't remember the exact wording, cause it was like two yrs ago. Anyway, the editor loved it & it's simple. Just buy espresso ground coffee (cheaper brands are good. too) instead of the regular common kinds at the grocery & put half the amount of grind in your regular old coffee maker(same filter)... I'm really serious, you get spectacular coffee taste/dark & rich tasting w/that alll American consistency (a hybrid - an American mutt like me) - not thick, but premium top notch taste. The real kicker is one saves a ton of money. Try it...you'll like it.

Last edited by lulu; 09-28-2006 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-28-2006, 03:36 PM

25 posts, read 117,629 times
I am from Miami...Miami Lakes. And I am born & raised!! I love Miami, it is so diverse & beautiful. It is truly an international city! There is something for everybody here...whether you are the plastic type into the see & be seen atmosphere of South Beach, or you are a family person looking for great schools, golf, weather, or the business person that needs to be in the center of everything & there is all types of entertainment, universities, culture, etc.

In Miami the opportunity is endless & you can make of it whatever you want.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:51 PM

32 posts, read 141,067 times
Elfyum,
Not sure if you referred to the people speaking Spanish in Miami are mostly Puerto Rican, but if you did, that is incorrect. Miami is full of Cubans. Cubans rule Miami. It is like a little Cuba. I personally lived in Miami for 4 months and I left as fast I moved in. It is crowded, everyone only speaks Spanish. Yes, it is diversed but majority Spanish speaking rules. Cubans rule Miami. They behave like Miami is Cuba and they forget that Miami is in the U.S.a. I do not recommend Miami to anyone. Unless you like the congested life and having to ask for a Dunkin Donuts coffee in Spanish, go for it. Otherwise, please another lovely area in Florida. I don't think that is a family place. I see it more as a party place. That is just my personal experience.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:17 PM

43 posts, read 239,014 times
I grew up in Miami and hated it but it has nothing to do with the Cubans. They are very nice, hard working people. It's just too hot and crowded for me. My brother and Aunt still live there. I hardly ever go down there but when I do the people speak spanish to me.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:16 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,790,429 times
simplistic:
This is supposed to be "POSSITIVE COMMENTS about Miami"!

Reread my post
NY - Puerto Rican
Miami - Cuban

lulu: Intersting coffee idea...But I like my coffee STRONG!!!!!
My uncle actually used to do (not sure if he still does or not) those citizenship ceremonies! (He's a judge)

Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 AM

Cubans do rule & are the majority in Miami - about 60% of the Hispanic population in Miami is of Cuban origin (they had Chinese immigrants, black, pure Spanish, Jews, Lebanese, English, etc etc. from all over- & some Russians in the mix, now. Even Jamaican & Haitian immigrants that would come in boats looking for work, which goes on everywhere - (Cuba was always like a mini U.S. in the past w/lots of immigrants). Cuba Gooding Jr. come to mind?? Yes, his name is a tribute to his grandmother whom was born in Cuba & is of Jamaican roots - she loved it dearly, so his granfather chose that name for him.
The determined Cubans here have been a huge assett economically in Miami since the 60's & due to Spanish language , opened the doors to the rest of Latin America. The rest & small percentages of spanish speakers, here, come from other Spanish speaking places - practically everywhere & there is a small percentage of Puerto Ricans too, but they are not the majority down here. I think they are further up like in the Kissimmee area, along with people from Santo Domingo & lots are from the N.E. as I have witnessed, in this past trip. In N.Y. when I visited up there a while back P.R.'s have a stronghold up there alongside Dominicano's & of course there are other groups as well.
Now, in the whole U.S. 60% of the entire Hispanic population (spanish speakers) in the whole U.S. are of Latin American roots or known as Latino's but sometimes this label can mix both - they are mainly, from Mexican or Latin American roots and they rule in other states and tend to be the majority of the minorities in other states.

Confusing?? Yes I can understand. Frustrating?? Yes I can understand, too. The only way to really understand the differences would be to understand the language, but believe me there are differences - in foods, cultures and all sorts of things, not that it's a bad thing but just that there are differences. For example, if one puts two of these different groups together in room to speak...say, a Mexican and a Cuban in one room..yeah, they understand each other but some of their words are different, political stance is wayy different, even the oil they use...L.American's prefer corn oil, Cubans prefer olive oil & don't eat regularly tacos which are from Native American traditions/culture - which used corn's, like used in the U.S. Cubans are more from Spaniard traditions/roots and an example is their tortillas are actually omelettes made from eggs not corn. Of course, both delicious in their unique ways, but not the same. These are just tiny examples of the differences...but there are differeces, nonetheless.
I remember an Anglo friend of mine invited me to dinner once and served Tacos, burritos, salsa (which means literally sauce) and I'm like "OK...?" Of course I was grateful as it was a kind gesture/good intentioned ...& yes of course it was good and I'm not putting it down at all, but I found it curious as to how spanish speakers are viewed. Mexico was conquered by Spain and retained the Catholic religion and language but still preserve proudly their Native American foods and traditions. Some in little villages
to this day have not/will not even speak Spanish and have not even embraced the Catholic religion, which in a way I admire for their determination against conquest- and even in more places in other Latin American countries, South of the border. Anyway, sorry I can go on but I think I'll quit now... Yayy! you say? Ok.
Elfyum..wow, you can drink a whole colada??? Wow..I can't. Whew, you're one strong person!!!!!!!
The idea was given to me by a European, that when he'd come down found the coffee weak, transparent and sort of bland - he called it a tea coffee - though, we both like tea. Maybe, the American coffee is from English traditions & became tea like?? Who knows...? Anyway, I tried this and voila! It became a hit in my circle...

Last edited by lulu; 09-29-2006 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-29-2006, 10:54 AM

25 posts, read 117,629 times
I think that depending on what part of Miami, you will be congested. I live in Miami Lakes there is no traffic or real congestion. I travel to Plantation, FL everyday in 20 minutes time...with no stop & go traffic. I-75 is never ever congested! I live in a lovely golf neighborhood, home to Don Shula & his golf course.

Obviously if I moved to South Beach, it would be a different story. There you try not to own a vehicle & work in the area. Alot of people ride their bikes to work & live a very pedestrian lifestyle. They also don't mind the noise from nightlife, they embrace it.

My point is simple Miami is a LARGE city, with something to suit everyone's lifestyle. There is also the Fort Lauderdale Area (Miami's neighbor) that also has some great areas & is an easy commute to Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami