Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,574 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering because I am a Mexican from Chicago looking into the Little Haiti neighborhood (among others) to move in due to the cheap rent. I was wondering if Haitians tend to get along with Latino's OK? Obviously not everyone is the same, but is there a general type of hostility the Haitians show to the Latinos? It's a weird question, but help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:55 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
I'm wondering because I am a Mexican from Chicago looking into the Little Haiti neighborhood (among others) to move in due to the cheap rent. I was wondering if Haitians tend to get along with Latino's OK? Obviously not everyone is the same, but is there a general type of hostility the Haitians show to the Latinos? It's a weird question, but help is appreciated.
Miami is very segregated in terms of neighborhoods like this. In terms of ethnic neighborhoods like Little Haiti you probably won't get along well with others unless you're Haitian. Hell if you're a different kind of black person (African, Jamaican, etc.) you won't fit in there either.

You might want to check out a more integrated area like Homestead, Cutler Ridge (not so much Mexican here but it has blacks, whites, and Hispanics living with each other), or Florida City (if you're looking for dirt cheap rent and you're alright with living in a run down area). They have both Mexicans and blacks living with each other. You'll stick out like a sore thumb in Little Haiti.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:56 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,574 times
Thanks alot man, appreciated.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:03 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,432 times
Little Haiti of course is majority African American/Haitian but the area has alot of Central Americans too and I believe they are latino and things seem fine and the east end of Little Haiti is a diverse chunk of blacks, latinos, white, gays....

Old 10-24-2008, 03:16 PM

259 posts, read 840,319 times
I don't think you will like it. Rule of thumb-Cheap rent is never a good thing in South Florida.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:34 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
I don't think you will like it. Rule of thumb-Cheap rent is never a good thing in South Florida.
You have a great chance of living next to a former rioter from Port-au-Prince who practices voodoo... That doesn't happen so much in low income neighborhoods outside of Miami. Miami is a strainer that catches all the crud. We should remove the screen from the strainer and let the crud flow Northward. Unleash a campaign of misery on the Southeast U.S. >>> OPEN THE GATES!!! LMAO

Last edited by big mean bear; 10-24-2008 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-24-2008, 04:30 PM

149 posts, read 562,422 times
If your looking for a neighborhood like that you might as well look at North Miami Beach/Miami Gardens Its cheap and you'll fit in a lot better. I lived in D.C. during the 90's and even I don't hang around Little Haiti. You'll go bored too. At least Miami Gardens has Tootsies. lol

Old 10-24-2008, 06:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
You have a great chance of living next to a former rioter from Port-au-Prince who practices voodoo... That doesn't happen so much in low income neighborhoods outside of Miami. Miami is a strainer that catches all the crud. We should remove the screen from the strainer and let the crud flow Northward. Unleash a campaign of misery on the Southeast U.S. >>> OPEN THE GATES!!! LMAO
What are you talking about? There have been known Voodoo celebrations in Pompano Beach and West Palm Beach, the two counties above Dade. So yes, it can happen outside of Miami.

And I think it's wrong to suggest that all Haitians practice Voodoo. Haitians vary in religion just like other groups of people.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:33 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,246 times
Why don't you move to Naranja? I use to live in homestead and i had alot of black classmates telling me that naranja (which is an African American neighborhood) had alot of hispanics which they and blacks get along good.

Have you tried florida city/naranja?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:10 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
What are you talking about? There have been known Voodoo celebrations in Pompano Beach and West Palm Beach, the two counties above Dade. So yes, it can happen outside of Miami.

And I think it's wrong to suggest that all Haitians practice Voodoo. Haitians vary in religion just like other groups of people.
I meant to say South Florida, but with an emphasis on Dade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami