Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:43 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times

Advertisements

theres a nursery in the redlands that made their own rainforest in the backyard. lots of potential here for that sort of thing. you could totally create a manoa falls or something and cover it with vegetation. hawaii has tons of beautiful public areas, miami has very few. its all locked away by the rich or simply not maintained and depreciates from it's former glory (anne's beach - islamorada)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 08:45 PM

170 posts, read 285,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
To read your posts is like having had an imaginary friendy witness everything that I go through and see happen here, over the past 10 years. SOOOO TRUE about the wannabe suburban thugs in their Honda Civics, you forgot to mention their ridiculously large spoilers too.

I understand your complaints about the general hostile and unfriendly environment of the city. Other big cities are nowhere near as rude as Miami. I even notice that when I go to other cities, I am shocked by people saying hello, or thank you in a store, or holding a door open for me. It is a shame that the ME culture of Miami has become so mainstream.

I think that Miami has excellent marketing strategies, and people will always be attracted to the warm weather, location, shopping and Hispanic culture. Thus, people will continue to move here and overpay and just ignore all of the other realities of the community, since they have their slice of paradise. I doubt things will change in the long run. I see Miami becoming another Los Angeles price wise...and the immigrant communities and gateways spreading to more affordable areas around the state and country. Just my opinion though, it was great reading your thoughts.
Even LA isn't as unfriendly as Miami (I've been to both cities). I feel that if I lay dying on the street, no one would stop to help. I heard one woman call a local radio station to say that when she was involved in a serious car accident, no one stopped to help.

The "ME" culture as you put it is very sickening to be honest...at least I've always thought so. This city is all about looks and financial status....nothing else really matters.

Another problem I have with this place is that I get the impression that many people here are out to rip you off. A few months ago, I took a dying kitten to one of those emergency clinics and they wanted to charge me over $800 for an hour's worth of work, without even telling me what was wrong with the cat. I ended up walking out of there because I was so disgusted by the way they treated me. They threatened me with the police and everything and the cat eventually died anyway (another vet told me that it couldn't have been saved).

I'm not a big "going out to bars/clubs" type of guy, but I do go out occasionally. Funny how when I go out and have a few drinks, I end up spending well over $100...how? A couple of games of pool and a pitcher of beer will cost me over $30....this place is just so damn expensive and for no reason.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
theres a nursery in the redlands that made their own rainforest in the backyard. lots of potential here for that sort of thing. you could totally create a manoa falls or something and cover it with vegetation. hawaii has tons of beautiful public areas, miami has very few. its all locked away by the rich or simply not maintained and depreciates from it's former glory (anne's beach - islamorada)
Miami *could* have been a very beautiful city for all (not just the rich). It had a lot of colonial Spanish architecture dating back to the 1920's, but much of that has vanished or has fallen into disrepair (take a look at the Curtiss Mansion in Miami Springs, for instance - a wasted opportunity). There could have been room for urban parks, but greedy developers built more condos or turned the green spaces into golf courses.

If Downtown Miami would have had investment from the very start and perhaps if incentives were given to companies to locate their businesses Downtown instead of places like Doral, perhaps Downtown Miami wouldn't be the run-down disgrace that it is today, dead after 6pm and in places, very dangerous.

You really can't continually s**t on the poor/middle class like Miami has been doing to its poor/middle class citizens for years now - it's going to backfire eventually.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
i see dead dogs everywhere down here. ive seen a dying kitten laying in the street in traffic. ive seen people driving ford f350s aim for turtles crossing the road.

yes i do feel if i were dying in the street noone would stop to help. the concept of human roadkill isnt far off here. hit and runs are common and noone really cares.

what really scares me though is quality of health care. i tell my girlfriend that if i ever was struck down with a terminal illness that we would fly back home to get it taken care of where there is accountability. the idea that there have been doctors in miami who even did surgeries and turned out to be quacks scares me alot. and the fact a mutual friend of ours and our friends in boca (an older man out in the redlands) was treated for chronic hiccups with THORAZINE (an antipsychotic) by baptist hospital. that stuff scares me.
this is one of those places where they could sew you up with a few tools still left inside.
lets just say i wouldnt want brain surgery done here.

the best part is how restaurants with below average service get away with including the tip in the bill (again no accountability) and are outrageously expensive for something that would be dirt cheap with wayyyy better customer service in LA or vegas.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:01 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
i think the problem is you have a large latin population who takes tropical cliamtes for granted. we on the otherhand dont have too many of them, we want to keep florida tropical. they want to pave it over, cut down the trees, pave their lawns and make it a super-city full of concrete.
I don't know what's wrong with the people who moved to Miami. Most of the Cubans seem to cut down every tree. Those often end up concrete yards. My parents who still live in Miami have been sued because their trees grow into the neighbors (cuban refugees from the 80's) yard. In the same neighborhood as a kid I remember eating a lot of tropical fruit, none of which exists today. The streets were covered with native and exotic trees planted by residents, only to be cut down by the Spanish speaking newcommers. People blame the deforestation on the hurricanes, but it's the people. I am always amazed how other cities, even bigger ones have trees. To see the difference compare little havana to CoraL Gables. Little Havana looks like a dump and the same types of homes on the other side of 37'th avenue with trees look so much better. Also as a kid I remember how people took care of their lawns, nowadays they just park 10 cars on it. Oh and what's with the tall iron fences? I see so many tiny homes with electric roll away gates.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:26 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Nothingman. You should stay in Miami and help fix it! Have you thought about going into politics? Miami is certainly a prime location for really high end investing and commerce. It does need to take advantage of where it is on the map.

I don't agree with A LOT of what you say, but what you do say, you say it well and that makes a big difference in my book. You have what some would call "the gift of gab". (that's a compliment).

BTW...it USED TO BE a Cuban culture. Not so anymore. Take a look around. There are thousands of cubans here, I for one, but Central and S. Americans are catching up.

It reminds me of when I went from Cuba to NY as a little girl. We ended up, like a lot of other Cubans, in a Jewish neighborhood. Jews moved out. Then came Puerto Ricans. Cubans moved out. Then came Dominicans. PR moved out. What's there now? I don't even want to know.

Another BTW. I do like Miami as I'm sure you've guessed by now. I am not into the "party" thing, the cocaine thing, the money laundering thing. I lead a "normal" (normalcy is relative) every day life. But every time I think of my 36 years in NYC, I am thankful for Miami.
As I'm sure you've guessed by now, In another few years (too many) I'll be on my way to retirement so everything you're all complaining about is old hat for me. Give it a few years and it will old for you too. But definitely, it's up to the young and restless to make it better. That's part of what youth is for.

Sorry, I keep coming back to add to this too erratic post.

Everybody that is leaving Miami/Florida because they hate it here for whatever reason, almost reminds me of when Castro came into power and all the Cubans who could, left the island. Personally, I think they should have all stayed and fought to keep their country free. Not everybody had to run away and there were enough Cubans in the position to have done something about it, but like here, they just got up and left, in the end to come struggle, start from scratch and be a thorn in many peoples' eyes. Anyway, that's for the politics forum.

Have a nice sunny day!

Last edited by vpcats; 02-25-2007 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-25-2007, 09:35 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Even LA isn't as unfriendly as Miami (I've been to both cities). I feel that if I lay dying on the street, no one would stop to help. I heard one woman call a local radio station to say that when she was involved in a serious car accident, no one stopped to help.

The "ME" culture as you put it is very sickening to be honest...at least I've always thought so. This city is all about looks and financial status....nothing else really matters.

Another problem I have with this place is that I get the impression that many people here are out to rip you off. A few months ago, I took a dying kitten to one of those emergency clinics and they wanted to charge me over $800 for an hour's worth of work, without even telling me what was wrong with the cat. I ended up walking out of there because I was so disgusted by the way they treated me. They threatened me with the police and everything and the cat eventually died anyway (another vet told me that it couldn't have been saved).

I'm not a big "going out to bars/clubs" type of guy, but I do go out occasionally. Funny how when I go out and have a few drinks, I end up spending well over $100...how? A couple of games of pool and a pitcher of beer will cost me over $30....this place is just so damn expensive and for no reason.

OK. Maybe I like you a little better now. You tried to save that kitten! You're a good person.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:20 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
People run away because its the easy and quick thing to do. Some have gotten hurt or killed for speaking out. Speak out against the Miami gangs in public and you may have a hitman going after you if you annoy them enough.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 18,913 times
I'm a true NY'er who made the mistake of moving here last year. The problem here is that there is no 'real' culture here. No 'CLASS'. Just different cultures living here. Funny thing is that the Miami-ans' THINK they have class. They are smug for no reason. The women dress like hoochy mommas right out of 42nd street. I came here and almost laughed myself silly at all the 'fakery' and 'attitude' --- for no reason! OH GOD, its so funny to see bad hairdos, bad shoes and bad clothes on women with their noses up in the air!!! AND, people get mad at me for SPEAKING ENGLISH! HELLO - ITS AMERICA!

When I return to NYC and to what is undoubtedly the most cultured, classy city in the US, I will gladly deal with the bad attitudes, for I know it is WELL -DESERVED!!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulijay View Post
I'm a true NY'er who made the mistake of moving here last year. The problem here is that there is no 'real' culture here. No 'CLASS'. Just different cultures living here. Funny thing is that the Miami-ans' THINK they have class. They are smug for no reason. The women dress like hoochy mommas right out of 42nd street. I came here and almost laughed myself silly at all the 'fakery' and 'attitude' --- for no reason! OH GOD, its so funny to see bad hairdos, bad shoes and bad clothes on women with their noses up in the air!!! AND, people get mad at me for SPEAKING ENGLISH! HELLO - ITS AMERICA!

When I return to NYC and to what is undoubtedly the most cultured, classy city in the US, I will gladly deal with the bad attitudes, for I know it is WELL -DESERVED!!!!
NY is a great city - a world city. I'm originally from another world city (London), so I see where you're coming from. I read your replies to other threads and I have to say, I'm with you *all* the way! I'm not "American", but I always thought that the main language of this nation was English, so why should I have to learn Spanish to be treated with some level of normalcy here? If I was writing this post from Spain or Mexico or Argentina, it’d be a different story and I’d be only too happy to make an effort and learn Spanish. You’re very right too – people have given me such horrible attitudes for speaking English and I find that odd, to say the least.

I don’t want to sound too judgmental here, but I’ve met a lot of “fake” people here (more so than in any other city I’ve been to). Many women here are gold diggers, looking for rich suckers to support them for the rest of their lives. Like I said in one of my posts, they’ll Moderator cut: bleep you if you have a 6 figure salary, a house in Coral Gables or Miami Beach and a Mercedes or a Jaguar or a BMW, but otherwise, forget it.

I love the United States as a whole, but Miami isn’t the United States – it’s a wannabe third world nation (Dade County at least) that makes you feel unwelcome if you don’t happen to fit in.

I can understand why you fell for the whole lure of Miami coming from New York. You probably thought (like I did) that this was a beautiful paradise in the sun, but it’s about as far from being a paradise as you can get. I would pick living in NY over Miami anytime, even if it meant living a hand to mouth existence, because NY is a big city and there are a million and one things to do, unlike this boring-a$$, cultureless place.

I’m looking forward to crossing the Dade County border soon and moving to the real United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami