Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 PM

99 posts, read 425,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Yeah, Miami is very popular... with people who don't actually have to live here.
Nobody living here likes it? We that do, are we those wacky people that deny, deny, deny? right? You should try writting a little more objectively for everybody. But your cyniicism won't allow it.

I actually think its ranked pretty appropriatly. What's this image so many of you talk about? The drug, crime, immigrant reputation we see in movies, media and television?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 AM

20 posts, read 51,910 times
"The drug, crime, immigrant reputation we see in movies, media and television?!"

You left out extremely rude and self-centered.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:05 AM

268 posts, read 357,874 times
Default well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Yeah, Miami is very popular... with people who don't actually have to live here.
No i have never lived in Miami but have been living for the past 2 years in Montreal. In Montreal I am : tax free ( I work in an international organization) , have a good job, rather nice appartment, my daughter is in a private school paid by my company....... all this to say that inspite of this perhaps a dream situation, I would exchange it for Miami ANYDAY ( I tried last year to get relocated to our Miami office and it didn`t work)
WHY would I give up all these advantages for Miami?
Simple, here we get down to -40 and when its less cold ( I mean in the teen s)its snow snow and snow (from November to end of March...)

We live inside for 5 months. Sure we have the warmest coats but there is always some skin that shows... We realized that our mental state is deteriorating slowly...

Now Miami, I have NO illusion: Miami is NO paradise :crime is high ( in Montreal you can take the metro anytime with a gold watch no problem), the public schools are not great ( but I have seen some good private ones) and people are rude ( I also lived in the south of France for many years so I know wht rude is!)
But you have the smell of the ocean and see the sun.... and YES in my book Miami is clean compared to dirt city Montreal.
There are places I never go when I am in Miami ( Liberty city...parts of havana) but every town has its bad spots ..just avoid them.
Traffic is BAD but when we get ice here....forget it , 3 hours to cover 2 miles on a bridge.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:17 AM

145 posts, read 302,194 times
I've also lived in S.France and Montreal, and currently live in Miami.

It is hard to exaggerate how important weather is in my day to day enjoyment of life. I went home a few months ago and it was -38c. Miserable.

Miami has ups and downs. I suspect that much of the whining on this site is anglos who don't like being in "their" country and having to learn some Spanish, and dealing with the sometimes obnoxious proclivities of the Hispanic locals. But on balance, Miami is great (don't live in or around the ghettos). I find the people to be cold to strangers, but warm to friends. Yes, the Cubans are loud, but this is such a small thing I feel petty even mentioning it. The variety of food I can get is really nice and the nightlife vast enough to accomodate even my hyper-specific tastes.

And the beaches... The sunshine.. The little cafe's everywhere.. I really enjoy living here. And I really like the locals as well. I can deal with loud people and poor drivers. Not the end of the world.

However, if you are likely to be poor, or even median in terms of income, then Miami will be rough at times.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I think I might like any of the Cities listed, but ORLANDO? No offense to anyone living there, because to each his own. But, I think Orlando is the most boring place on the PLANET. That I got just from visiting.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 AM

145 posts, read 302,194 times
Matt Taibbi described it best:

That was why I chose Orlando. For me, it is hell on earth, the worst city on the planet, a place that would make me long for Kinshasa or Volokolamsk.

Bush Like Me : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/6539082/bush_like_me/printI - broken link) agree..

Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 PM

20 posts, read 51,910 times
"WHY would I give up all these advantages for Miami?
Simple, here we get down to -40 and when its less cold ( I mean in the teen s)its snow snow and snow (from November to end of March...)"

LOL, first reason over and over again. Yes, I'll take road rage and aggressive behavior, language barriers and poor job market anyday, as long as I can have that warm weather! Spend a few summers in FL before you decide you wanna make that kind of move for warmer weather.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:58 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianM09 View Post
Nobody living here likes it? We that do, are we those wacky people that deny, deny, deny? right? You should try writting a little more objectively for everybody. But your cyniicism won't allow it.
Miami is great -- for some people. A lot of people's idea of Miami is a fantasy. They are disappointed within a year of moving here and then arrange to leave. If that weren't the case, Miami-Dade would be more crowded than Hong Kong.

One of the big problems is that it's hard to live the way most people are accustomed to living on an average Miami salary. There are also the issues of culture shock and being away from family and old friends.

The fact is that a lot more people think Miami is great place to live than would if they actually lived here. There is a lot of media hype, pretty pictures of the bay and the ocean, the skyline, the beaches, etc. People get the idea that they can come home from work and then live like they're on vacation every day. It's not reality.

Most Americans don't have the qualifications to get a good job in Miami, but a lot of people act on emotion, want to get away from their crappy situation, and think it would be great to live in a warm place. For a lot of people, it doesn't work out.

(What I said about Miami also applies to the rest of South Florida.)

Old 01-30-2009, 01:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Miami is great -- for some people. A lot of people's idea of Miami is a fantasy. They are disappointed within a year of moving here and then arrange to leave. If that weren't the case, Miami-Dade would be more crowded than Hong Kong.
Wow! That conjured up a scary image: a city with the size and population density of Hong Knog where everybody has the MiaME attitude. <shudder>

Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 PM

268 posts, read 357,874 times
As I mentioned, we have an office in Miami so I have been in 90 degree 100% humidity weather.. Have you walked in -38 weather??? People don`t realize that Montreal is colder than Moscow!!
Again I do not see Miami as paradise but believe that having lived all over the world could help me adapt maybe better than people who are not used to different cultures.
For the moment i am in Montreal but if I get the oppertunity... I will take a risk to move with wife and 2 children...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: