Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:06 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
You just moved here basically. Your still in the honeymoon phase. FYI many of my friends with children have moved their kids out of South Florida to give them a better childhood. I still have friends with kids here, but the parents are very involved, nannies, private school, etc. To make sure their children have a great life here in South Florida.
Grew up here, lived here for 6 years after college (& 5 years in Atl) before moving BACK last year after our stint in SoCal. Sorry, you're wrong, there is no "honeymoon" phase for us. We're VERY aware of the pros and cons of living here and raising kids here. Plenty of friends and family have kids here, of all ages and income levels. We CHOSE to move back here with our eyes wide open.

You will eventually realize that your basic truth ("VERY involved parents make great lives for their kids") is true EVERYWHERE! It's no different if you're living in SoCal or the Atlanta suburbs or the "mountains." Sure, if you can't make a living in Miami (or SoFla or anywhere) then raising kids is going to be really tough. Duh. Everything else is basically the same as anywhere else.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:17 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
I have visited as well, but have not found it to be so bad, but what do I know.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:05 PM

99 posts, read 425,941 times
Quote:
How long have you been here?
I lived here for 7 years then moved back 4 years ago after living in Houston and San Francisco very briefly, Im from DC. I never went through any "honeymoon phase" anywhere. Not in Miami, not in Houston, and not in San Francisco.

Quote:
I will tell you this, most of my friends have lest South Florida that grew up here. And many of the employees that I have worked with that have moved here from different places leave within a couple of years once the honeymoon phase is gone and they realize where they have moved too.
That might be a problem.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to move to Miami unless they were coming from a dirt-poor third world country. Oh wait! That IS where they are all coming from.
Miami sucks, Miami sucks, Miami sucks. You could be replaced with a spam bot. I would fall right over if you ever said anything constructive. You sound like a child talking about his broccoli.

Under the right conditions, all kinds of places would be good to live in. Under the wrong conditions, all kinds of places would be bad to live in. (I don't know if there's any place you consider good. I just know you consider Miami bad. We get. We really do.)

If you're poor, Miami is miserable, since it lacks the social services of some urban areas. If you're rich, Miami can be a lot of fun. If your wealth is in between, then it gets more complicated. If only "nuance" were in your vocabulary....

Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Grew up here, lived here for 6 years after college (& 5 years in Atl) before moving BACK last year after our stint in SoCal.
I apologize, I thought you were new here. Most new people that move here don't stay for more than a couple years. I am surprised you moved back, all my friends that have moved say they will NEVER move back to South Florida. And I bet most will not. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianM09 View Post
I lived here for 7 years then moved back 4 years ago after living in Houston and San Francisco very briefly, Im from DC. I never went through any "honeymoon phase" anywhere. Not in Miami, not in Houston, and not in San Francisco..
Everyone goes through a honeymoon phase when they move to a new place.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
If you're poor, Miami is miserable, since it lacks the social services of some urban areas. If you're rich, Miami can be a lot of fun. If your wealth is in between, then it gets more complicated.
I have known many wealthy people that sold their million dollar plus homes in South Florida because they hated Miami, and moved. So even having money in this city can't help everything.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:37 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times
Quote:
I apologize, I thought you were new here. Most new people that move here don't stay for more than a couple years. I am surprised you moved back, all my friends that have moved say they will NEVER move back to South Florida. And I bet most will not. Best of luck to you!
I grew up in Miami, was away for 25 years, if you include college, and am back here. It happens. I will probably stay, unless career issues dictate otherwise. I am well aware of the pluses and minuses of Miami. In the end, it's a matter of interests, tastes, etc.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
I have known many wealthy people that sold their million dollar plus homes in South Florida because they hated Miami, and moved. So even having money in this city can't help everything.
Doggiebus , yes I know several people that were very well off and did the same ( leave Miami ) but did not leave South Florida .. they moved to places like Palm Beach Gardens , Wellington , Weston and Cooper City . I think it is a shame that in many respects all of South Florida suffers because of the ills in Miami ... frankly you could not pay me to live in Miami , but there are other places in South Florida which are still great places to live besides the ones that I mentioned . It is a shame many posters here actually interchange Miami and all of South Florida thus providing an OP misleading information on life down here . I live in Parkland and yes will get down to Miami from time to time as their are nice spots to have a great time in like South Beach , Coconut Grove , etc , etc .. but then we head home north 60 minutes and in many respects another world and we may not get back down to Miami for another couple of months . It is unfair to mix and match South Florida and Miami / Dade County ... take Palm Beach Gardens and Hialeah .. you may as well be comparing Valencia , California and San Juan , Puerto Rico !!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:06 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
I grew up in Miami, was away for 25 years, if you include college, and am back here. It happens. I will probably stay, unless career issues dictate otherwise. I am well aware of the pluses and minuses of Miami. In the end, it's a matter of interests, tastes, etc.
I see you live in South Beach ( MB ) I also find Miami Beach to be quite different from mainland Miami ... the people , the look , and the feel are quite different . If I was single and was making the money I make now , I would live in South Beach in a minute and probably never cross the causeway into mainland Miami ... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami