Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:17 PM

170 posts, read 285,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
I am looking to rent at Dadeland. I see that they are having a fire sale.
2b/2ba apts in the Toscano and Metropolis are being listed for $1650.00
That includes internet, basic cable and water.
I am also looking at "The Towers of Dadeland" which is a rental building and the rents there start at $1800 for a 2 bed.
The Metropolis seems a good deal because the HOA in that building is $850.00 and the cost of the units are in the mid 300s.
How can they afford to rent out so cheap?
Common sense (and a rent vs buy calculator) tells me that it is cheaper to rent here than to buy.
My work will take me to the (south) Airport area, on Milam Dairy road (NW 72nd ave and NW 7th st)
Google maps tell me it is a 5 mile drive.
If I use local roads, is a 30-40 minute commute reasonable to assume.
Any comments/opinions/suggestions for me, please chime in.
I will be there in April and looking to rent starting Mid May.
I can help here...

I actually live in Metropolis and it's pretty good. I pay less than you because I rent in a 1 bed. I work in the same area as you describe and if I leave early enough (as in before 6:45am), I can usually get to work in 15 minutes (straight up 826, then onto 836).

The Dadeland area is pretty bland, but it's useful in terms of being right next to the Metrorail and many shops (including a huge Publix supermarket right on my doorstep). However, I'd choose to live here over most other areas of Miami.

One guy suggested looking a few blocks down Kendall Drive for cheaper rent. I do not recommend this as traffic on Kendall Drive can be insane at times and it can add 20 mins each way to your journey time to work. I used to rent in an apartment complex on Kendall Drive/107th Avenue and I hated it. The neighbors were noisy, traffic was bad, management was horrible, elevatoR didn't work for 6 months, etc, etc, etc. I may pay more rent here, but it's worth is plus I'm saving on things like Cable (it's almost free here), laundry (these units have built in washing machines) and I'm saving a ton on gas because I spend less time stuck in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 12:35 PM

286 posts, read 1,082,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Individuhal -
OK you're set on moving to Miami and there is nothing wrong with that. Heck, I'm certainly not going to be the one to try to change your mind. I'm one of the happy campers here and I don't go baulking at every little incident.
I think you have your areas narrowed down and your likes and dislikes pretty well figured out. It won't take too long to decide which area you prefer. You'll see the pros and cons right away.

Do you have a couple of days to dedicate to the on-site search before your move?
Actually, its business that brings me here. I live in a place that is much worse, quality of life and weather wise, and is in the hurricane belt as well.
I cannot even begin to describe but I dont think this forum is interested in my personal life.
I am okay with people not holding doors open for me, speaking in spanish, crazy traffic, speculative real estate and the rest of the package.
I know basic spanish but lack practice. I can't wait to speak to everyone and become fluent. Some of my Puerto Rican customers already tell me I have the accent/inflection down correct.
I like a little bit of grit in a city: if I had wanted a Stepfordesque existence, I would have chosen Weston.
I am sure I will make many friends here.
I'm sure that there are many rude/arrogant/ignorant people here but I'm sure I will find friendly and like minded people as well.
I am coming in April for a week and planning to stay at one of the Dadeland hotels. I always rent Enterprise, they are friendly and give me great deals.
More than once, they have upgraded my $35.00 rental to a Mercedes or Infiniti.
One time I had an accident on Kendall drive with an uninsured driver.
He was a construction worker and barely spoke english. Now I know what a lot of posters are thinking here, your stereotypical Miami incident.
But we were both okay and shook hands.
Afterwards, they towed my car and his wife came to pick him up.
She/they dropped me off to my location and even invited my wife and I to dinner.
I plan to settle down by May/June. Can't wait to get there.
I have planned this move for a year and finally it is all coming together.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
I can help here...

I actually live in Metropolis and it's pretty good. I pay less than you because I rent in a 1 bed. I work in the same area as you describe and if I leave early enough (as in before 6:45am), I can usually get to work in 15 minutes (straight up 826, then onto 836).

The Dadeland area is pretty bland, but it's useful in terms of being right next to the Metrorail and many shops (including a huge Publix supermarket right on my doorstep). However, I'd choose to live here over most other areas of Miami.

One guy suggested looking a few blocks down Kendall Drive for cheaper rent. I do not recommend this as traffic on Kendall Drive can be insane at times and it can add 20 mins each way to your journey time to work. I used to rent in an apartment complex on Kendall Drive/107th Avenue and I hated it. The neighbors were noisy, traffic was bad, management was horrible, elevatoR didn't work for 6 months, etc, etc, etc. I may pay more rent here, but it's worth is plus I'm saving on things like Cable (it's almost free here), laundry (these units have built in washing machines) and I'm saving a ton on gas because I spend less time stuck in traffic.
Hi Nothingman,
Wow, someone who actually lives in Metropolis.
Yes I did look at Kendall and actually the reviews on apartmentreviews dot com and there is a lot of miserable tenants. "Pepper Cove" seems to have the happiest people but it is too far away.
Yes you are right, I have a friend in the Hammocks and he tells me that Kendall Drive is gridlocked during rush hour.
I am headed toward the Sheraton MIA and dont need to be there before 10am in the mornings and leave around 5.30 in the evenings.
I am ok with a 30-40 minute commute.
I am coming there next month to finalise things.
What is your opinion on The towers of Dadeland- a rental community although I am pretty much sold on the Metropolis by now.
What is your opinion on living in the higher floors during a hurricane?

I actually wanted to respond to another of your posts/rants, so here goes--
In my opinion, you do not come across as a racist etc, this is your opinion and you have a right to express it just as others do, and I do understand your point of view exactly.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Hi Nothingman,
Wow, someone who actually lives in Metropolis.
Yes I did look at Kendall and actually the reviews on apartmentreviews dot com and there is a lot of miserable tenants. "Pepper Cove" seems to have the happiest people but it is too far away.
Yes you are right, I have a friend in the Hammocks and he tells me that Kendall Drive is gridlocked during rush hour.
I am headed toward the Sheraton MIA and dont need to be there before 10am in the mornings and leave around 5.30 in the evenings.
I am ok with a 30-40 minute commute.
I am coming there next month to finalise things.
What is your opinion on The towers of Dadeland- a rental community although I am pretty much sold on the Metropolis by now.
What is your opinion on living in the higher floors during a hurricane?

I actually wanted to respond to another of your posts/rants, so here goes--
In my opinion, you do not come across as a racist etc, this is your opinion and you have a right to express it just as others do, and I do understand your point of view exactly.
Never thought about the Towers @ Dadeland....I found a great deal @ Metropolis (renting) last year and we moved fast (we lived further down Kendall Drive before and hated it). Anyway, hurricane-wise, the windows are designed to withstand high winds (up to a cat 3 hurricane, I believe). Also, the great thing about Metropolis is that if the power goes out, we'll be one of the first to get it back since we're on the same grid as the Metrorail.

Although I've made no secret of the fact that I dislike Miami in general, I'm happy with my apartment and the amount of rent that I pay. We've had a few issues with maintenance people letting themselves in (resolved) and noise from people remodelling their units, but that's almost over now. Besides, you're going to have teething issues with a brand new building.

My commute is pretty good for Miami standards. I leave early and it takes me 15 minutes (I actually pass the Sheraton on the way to work). Going home takes longer, but I know a couple of short cuts.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:00 AM

Nothingman,
thank you for that information.
your post has been most helpful.
Based on what you are saying, I think it probably is going to be the Metropolis for me. I like the fact that the building has priority when it comes to power.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Nothingman,
thank you for that information.
your post has been most helpful.
Based on what you are saying, I think it probably is going to be the Metropolis for me. I like the fact that the building has priority when it comes to power.
Will you be renting or buying? If you're renting, you will need to look in the classified ads, or apartments.com. Personally, I believe that I got a bargain here. Only issue is that they're still "building", so many of the amenities aren't open yet such as the swimming pools.

It's nice though...not to be woken up by someone's reggaeton at 7am (as per Kendall).

Old 03-21-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Will you be renting or buying? If you're renting, you will need to look in the classified ads, or apartments.com. Personally, I believe that I got a bargain here. Only issue is that they're still "building", so many of the amenities aren't open yet such as the swimming pools.

It's nice though...not to be woken up by someone's reggaeton at 7am (as per Kendall).
I did check out all the rental communities, rent.com, apts.com etc. The only decent place seems to be camden in doral (the brickell camden has issues)
But my best source so far for renting has been craigslist and for the mls I think that ziprealty dot com has the best features with no buy obligation.

My plan so far is to rent in Dadeland for a year and scout the Coral Gables area for a nice condo
Btw, Nothingman, Kendall was an option for me but I think you pretty much have talked me out of it. Great information.
Your reggaton posts are succinct and humorous and makes me laugh.
This is good stuff for late night.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I did check out all the rental communities, rent.com, apts.com etc. The only decent place seems to be camden in doral (the brickell camden has issues)
But my best source so far for renting has been craigslist and for the mls I think that ziprealty dot com has the best features with no buy obligation.

My plan so far is to rent in Dadeland for a year and scout the Coral Gables area for a nice condo
Btw, Nothingman, Kendall was an option for me but I think you pretty much have talked me out of it. Great information.
Your reggaton posts are succinct and humorous and makes me laugh.
This is good stuff for late night.
Well, I do hate reggaeton! I would rather listen to the dentist’s drill for 24 hours straight than listen to 1 minute of reggaeton.

Don’t let me “talk you out” of moving to Kendall, if that’s where you want to live. I simply speak from personal experience and the time I lived there wasn’t that great. Most of my complaints about Kendall as a whole pertain to traffic, noisy neighbors, poor management / condo associations, “boy racers” zipping up & down Kendall Drive like it’s a race track and the lack of things to do in terms of parks and open spaces. You’ll pay less rent in Kendall, but as the old saying goes, you truly get what you pay for. Many of the rental communities there are fraught with the same kind of problems/complaints (check out apartmentratings.com and you’ll see what I mean).

Old 03-21-2007, 12:44 PM

[(check out apartmentratings.com and you’ll see what I mean).[/quote]

Yes, I did look at apartmentratings.com. I realise it is a must if you are renting in Miami. The only communities that people are recommending there is Camden in Doral and Pepper Cove (closer to the Hammocks in Kendall).

Old 03-21-2007, 02:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Pepper cove was decimated by Hurricane Andrew. It has a wooden roof and if it ever catches fire...good luck! I remember seeing the ruins it was in and the fence around it when I went to bowl at Don Carter's Kendall lanes. It's also not a visually appealing 80's style development.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami