Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 04:31 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,537 times

Advertisements

I envision (sadly) a big influx of even poorer immigrants than we have been getting the last 10 years. Inhabitants from South American countries like Suriname and Guyana ...

(They cant be any poorer than the Cubans who literally do not have anything. Dont you think? Since you put it in such a dreadful manner that these individuals would migrate here.)

I also think that because of Obama, the Haitian immigration quota will be raised,
(Why because he's black?, because he's trying to reach to other cultures?, I do hope they eliminate that wet foot dry foot policy that brings so many crooks here from your country. And treats other law ibiding immigrants in such a unfair manner.)

These people don't spread out, they stay clumped in Miami because of the familiar climate and the abundance of similar, 3rd world peoples.
(Like the cubans who have stayed in Miami because of the familiar climate and the abundance of similar, 3rd world peoples.)

and you have one helluva sad situation.
(Similar to the one you guys have created up to this day).

This is a very racist and full of the Cuban "superiority" complex post (although they dont even have a country up to this day to call home). ROFL.

Do not diminish other immigrants because you are also an immigrant. Stop living in "Cuba circa 1950" and start living in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 04:33 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
I actually see it a bit brighter. I see Miami as more urban and with stronger, more established cultural institutions. I think tourism in arts-related events will increase and Miami will begin to be more well known for its arts, culture and events than the beaches, shopping, banking, etc. There will be more density, and with that more high-rise construction in Downtown/Brickell/Midtown. I think there will be less western suburban construction.

The population of Miami isn't expected to grow as fast as it has before and will grow at a normal rate, which will allow for a breather. UM and FIU will continue to raise in rankings. We still won't have the Western and Northern lines for the Metrorail. Downtown will be much cleaner and busier, with more activities. Bicentennial Park will have been renovated with the Miami Sci Museum and Miami Art Museum.

Miami will continue to be a popular city for tourism. Neighborhoods from Upper East Side to Downtown will improve and turn "chic". Liberty City will still be ghetto. Use of public transit will increase with the Miami Intermodal Center. Some might find this hard to believe, but I think the White non-Hispanic population will continue to grow in Miami. Yes, you heard right. If you look at the Census figures. In 2000, Miami-Dade was 16.5% White non-Hispanic, in 2007, that number grew to 18%. Thing that's odd, the Hispanic population dropped from 65% to 61% during that same period. I really think Miami will grow more and more diverse and many of the old Spanish-speaking Hispanics will die out, leaving more English in Miami. And that is my opinion. I see a very optimistic future for Miami.
I hope you are right. I would love to make Miami my bohemian hangout city up through my 40's. Design district, North Miami, Surfside, Upper East Side... I see myself hanging around those areas more than the areas I felt comfortable with in college... Coral Gables, South Dade/West Dade etc...They can have it!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:47 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
This is a very racist and full of the Cuban "superiority" complex post (although they dont even have a country up to this day to call home). ROFL.
NO its not. It would be a humanitarian crisis if the flood gates to Miami from the Caribbean were further opened. It already practically is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Do not diminish other immigrants because you are also an immigrant. Stop living in "Cuba circa 1950" and start living in the USA.
In 1960, when Cubans started to come over, there was plenty of room for them to move. "West Dade" as we know it did not exist, it was nothing but cow fields. The Cubans of the 1960's added a moderate cultural touch to a sleepy town in need of an identity.

STEP INTO MY TIME MACHINE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>STOP!!! The year is 2009!!!!!!

There's no more room
Our county is broke!!!!
Our county jails overflowing!!!
Our classrooms overcrowded!!!
Our town is the most segregated in the country!!!
Our people are mean and bitter!!!
Our standard of living is on the decline!!!

NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE

Last edited by cuba libre; 04-09-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,293 times
Population growth is usually tied with jobs. If the area fails to attract big name companies to the area, I don't see too much growth over the next 10 years.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:09 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
I honestly do want Miami to have a bright future, but what the city really needs to do is attract big "blue chip" corporations and multinationals. Until certain things visibly improve (education, infrastructure, cracking down on fraud and the language barriers), Miami will never attract such commerce, even when the recession comes to an end. After all, the chicken needs to come before the egg and Miami needs to shed its bad reputation.

Miami's "boom" has been nothing but a farce anyway; an entire city built on dirty money, corruption and speculation. Miami's future depends on breaking away from those things, or the city will decline, rapidly...to the point that the only people living here will be un-assimilated immigrants from Latin America who will have effectively turned Miami into the places they chose to leave behind (isn't it ironic, don't you think?).

You have to take into consideration the things that attract commerce: an educated workforce, low taxes, good infastructure...Miami in its current form cannot compete, not even with cities of similar size, such as Houston or Phoenix.

People at all levels in Miami need to start taking responsibility. We need better, more competent politicians who don't look to build a new stadium for the friggin' Marlins, while schools are crumbling and people are losing their jobs. Many immigrants need to get over themselves and accept the USA as their home and choose to assimilate, learn the language and not just use this place as a temporary cash cow, i.e. planning to return "home" one day. You're here now...either accept that, or leave.

'nuff said.

Last edited by EnjoyTheSilence; 04-09-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
I think there will be less western suburban construction. )
I guess you haven't heard that Lennar wants to build 7000 homes in West Kendall up against the Everglades. They are calling it Parkland I believe.

Quote:
I think the White non-Hispanic population will continue to grow in Miami. Yes, you heard right. If you look at the Census figures. In 2000, Miami-Dade was 16.5% White non-Hispanic, in 2007, that number grew to 18%. Think that's odd? The Hispanic population dropped from 65% to 61% during that same period. I really think Miami will grow more and more diverse and many of the old Spanish-speaking Hispanics will die out, leaving more English in Miami. And that is my opinion. I see a very optimistic future for Miami.
Many of the White Non Hispanics in that Census are getting older too, I would bet that a good percent of that 18% White Non hispanic are older people. And in 10-15 years many of them will not be with us.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 PM

177 posts, read 571,141 times
Cuba will be liberated in 20 years, 90% of the Cuban population will return to the island and south american and haiten will take over miami and as a result the rest will beg the Cubans to return lol actually 20 years from now theres no telling if the USA will even be around anymore, with the way Obamas tripling the deficit like its monopoly money, actually it is monopoly money to him because everything is being borrowed from the Chinese. I'm really praying we don't end up bankrupt like the old USSR, because the similarities between us and them in the last ten years are frightingly similar.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post
Cuba will be liberated in 20 years, 90% of the Cuban population will return to the island and south american and haiten will take over miami and as a result the rest will beg the Cubans to return lol actually 20 years from now theres no telling if the USA will even be around anymore, with the way Obamas tripling the deficit like its monopoly money, actually it is monopoly money to him because everything is being borrowed from the Chinese. I'm really praying we don't end up bankrupt like the old USSR, because the similarities between us and them in the last ten years are frightingly similar.
To me, that seems wrong...I mean, if you're Cuban and you came here searching for a new life, why would you want to return, even if Cuba is liberated? This is the one thing that baffles me about Miami Cubans....I mean, do you consider Miami as just a place to wait until Cuba is liberated? What if that's a long wait? What if Cuba does become free from the shackles of Communism, but is still poorer than the US? Would you be prepared to go back to a significantly worse standard of living, even in a "free" Cuba?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 PM

31 posts, read 104,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post

As to Chinese, I found there are very few Chinese in Miami. Maybe because of the fact, as I checked last month, that Chinese still can not own land and properties in Florida? Isn't it unconstitutional?

Regarding to Cuba liberation, I highly doubt it will happen. If China can have miracle, why not Cuba?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
As to Chinese, I found there are very few Chinese in Miami. Maybe because of the fact, as I checked last month, that Chinese still can not own land and properties in Florida? Isn't it unconstitutional?

Regarding to Cuba liberation, I highly doubt it will happen. If China can have miracle, why not Cuba?
...because the Cubans who truly want liberation leave Cuba and come to Miami. Unfortunately, only the Cubans themselves can bring freedom to their island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami