Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times

Advertisements

This is probably going to start drama, but... Why are Whites so incapable of being around people that are different to them honestly? I really just don't understand why, it scares White people away. When a neighborhood goes black, the whites leave, and in Miami's case, many Whites left because of the Cubans. I just don't get it. Why can't everyone just confront the changing times and work with it, you don't have to run away from your problems. Did we really expect Miami to be the same small Southern town of 1890 seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
This is probably going to start drama, but... Why are Whites so incapable of being around people that are different to them honestly? I really just don't understand why, it scares White people away. When a neighborhood goes black, the whites leave, and in Miami's case, many Whites left because of the Cubans. I just don't get it. Why can't everyone just confront the changing times and work with it, you don't have to run away from your problems. Did we really expect Miami to be the same small Southern town of 1890 seriously?

In no way do I mean this in a racist way, but when blacks move into a neighborhood (whites do leave, you are right), but the value of the property goes down too.

Whites may have left Miami when all the Cubans, Haitians, Brazilians (whoever) arrives by the thousands, but lets make one thing clear, whites aren't the only folks that want to be around similar people.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,270 times
Quote:
To me it has nothing to do with race or color. It is all about what the newcomers do when they come into an area. If they bring crime, disease, and disrupt the place then of course the locals will want out. They did not ask for or welcome this kind of change. If the people coming in honor and respect the local laws, language, and customs then there should not be a problem. The problems arise when people come in and try to take over and make the place their own with no regard for others. Or when they push their language and change the ways of life to match where they came from or to what they feel it should be. Worse yet is when they make it nearly impossible for locals to get jobs or hold onto jobs unless they change languages which are foreign to the area.

The big question is why don't the people coming in change their ways or at least respect the local laws, language, and customs of where they are going? It's not the other way around. If someone is nice enough to let you in their house you shouldn't want to burn it down. If you have good intentions and are grateful you would want to respect the rules of the house.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
[quote=psouth;8562493]To me it has nothing to do with race or color. It is all about what the newcomers do when they come into an area. If they bring crime, disease, and disrupt the place then of course the locals will want out. They did not ask for or welcome this kind of change. If the people coming in honor and respect the local laws, language, and customs then there should not be a problem. The problems arise when people come in and try to take over and make the place their own with no regard for others. Or when they push their language and change the ways of life to match where they came from or to what they feel it should be. Worse yet is when they make it nearly impossible for locals to get jobs or hold onto jobs unless they change languages which are foreign to the area.

The big question is why don't the people coming in change their ways or at least respect the local laws, language, and customs of where they are going? It's not the other way around. If someone is nice enough to let them in your house you shouldn't want to burn it down.

Bingo! Bango! Bongo!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM

268 posts, read 900,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
It has nothing to do with race or color. It is all about what the newcomers do when they come into an area. If they bring crime, disease, and disrupt the place then of course the locals will want out. They did not ask for or welcome this kind of change. If the people coming in honor and respect the local laws, language, and customs then there should not be a problem. The problems arise when people come in and try to take over and make the place their own with no regard for others. Or when they push their language and change the ways of life to match where they came from or to what they feel it should be. Worse yet is when they make it nearly impossible for locals to get jobs or hold onto jobs unless they change languages which are foreign to the area. The big question is why don't the people coming in change their ways or at least respect the local laws, language, and customs of where they are going? It's not the other way around. If someone is nice enough to let you in their house you shouldn't want to burn it down. If you have good intentions and are grateful you would want to respect the rules of the house.
Unfortunately Mr. Psouth is again 100% correct.

Try and change the deal up and what u got....? Example: could us Gringos change a city the size of Miami in Colombia, like Bogota? Would Colombians allow the city of Bogota to be run and opeated and spoken in mostly english? Would they allow it? Even if they did, would the FARC allow it? Hell no!!!! Another example; Brazil... would Brazilians allow us Gringos tto ake over a city the size of Rio de Janeiro? Hell no!!!

Bottom line; we have a double standard here people. The USA, we open the door to the world and we say "come on in" then we try and visit their world and they try and scam us.

I know because I speak from experience, however, I enjoy the Latin culture and like the people; I like Miami too.... Overall, the Latins in Miami are good people and I have no problems here, but then again I don't live here full-time.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:52 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
When my Dad moved from that area it wasn't because it was becoming more hispanic, he left because his career took him around the world, then when he came back to Miami. That area sort of deteriated, and what he wanted at that time in his life was space. My grandparents left that area because they wanted a condo near the water to retire in. I am not sure why, but in hispanic and black areas there is just more crime overall, and so if whites can leave the area to live in safer areas they will. I think any normal person would do the same. A great example is Overtown/Liberty City, all those shootings are black on black. They are just killing people of their own race.

What I have started to learned is hispanics don't move around as much as whites. Many of my white friends have left South Florida while many hispanic ones haven't (some have escaped). This I think has to do with family values, hispanic families are very close nit. I remember growing up and having hispanic girlfriends and guy friends that stayed at home till they got married. I have never met a 30 year old white man still living at home, but have met plenty of hispanic men that were still at home at that age. Its just part of some hispanic cultures to have the family close.

Now I do know some white people that just want to be around like people. I feel sorry for them. Diversity is a great thing. But I think that you will find people like this in most races, its sort of natural to drift closer to people like your self.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM

268 posts, read 900,179 times
Blacks and Latins; all their countries are F*cked up. Africa, Brazil, Colombia and every country south of USA has serious problems, corruption, violence, drink all day/party all night mentality. What about white area like England? Ireland? Alaska? Montana? Canada? Canadians have very few problems!

It is what it is............

My ex wife (Colombian woman) had same mentality and that's why I divorced her.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:04 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
The problem started with the drug money of the 80's. That went into developing the Miami area as densely as possible, thus lowering the quality of life while raising real estate prices. Latin America is famous for stealing wealth and diverting it to a "safe haven". Instead of the wealth staying in their countries and benefitting the people their elite blew it as they saw fit. You saw it as recently as 2001 when the Venezuelans soaked Miami in money and blew up the real estate bubble. Before the drug money of the 80's south Florida was somewhat normal with local income sources. Since the cocaine cowboys era the area has become self-destructive.

Without a true free market a nation cannot have a viable economy. The government growth and control with a myriad of regulations skewed to the ones at the top have destroyed innovation. WHile Miami has not failed yet, it is destined for a catastrophic collapse. Long-time residents who knew this evacuated like a prudent person does before a hurricane.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:41 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
Quote:
This is probably going to start drama, but... Why are Whites so incapable of being around people that are different to them honestly? I really just don't understand why, it scares White people away. When a neighborhood goes black, the whites leave, and in Miami's case, many Whites left because of the Cubans.
As opposed to all the Latinos who specifically moved to Miami so they can be around other Latinos?

Your argument probably isn't the best one to make, since so many Latinos in Miami consider themselves White, and for all intents and purposes are difficult to distinguish from a Southern European.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:04 PM

28 posts, read 61,010 times
Quote:
Like I said, I have been here for 12 years. If blacks and cubans scared me, I wouldn't have moved here in the first place. Question...At what point do you stop justifying the violence as "changing times?" Would that be when a stranger aims a gun at you or when he actually shoots? Or how about when a Haitian gang member comes to your neighbor's door with a AK47 behind his back? Is that something an 8 and 4 year old should be tolerant of? Whites choose to "run away" for the same reason our ancestors did in the past and immigrants do today, they are seeking a better life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami