Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:40 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times

Advertisements

Ok, lets assume that tomorrow, Obama signs into law that ALL Americans can travel to Cuba, SPEND MONEY THERE, start businesses there, etc etc.

First of all, the infrastructure is so decrepit in Cuba, I think it will take at least 5-10 years before the island can accept 'regular' tourists. Ports have to be modernized, harbors dredged, and social services like modern ambulances and hospitals need to take hold. Then there is the deal with the legal system there in regards to foreigners, as there are many gray areas here.

If Cuba opened up tomorrow, and tourists started booking flights on AeroCaribe, Cubana, Aero Mexico, or even American carriers to go to Cuba, I think that they would fit into the 'eco tourist' category due to the state of Cuba's infrastructure. Trust me, a simple drive from downtown Havana to Jose Marti International Airport can be an 'adventure'. What a colorful drive this can be.

What will happen to Miami's tourist economy when Havana builds itself back into a world class "Beirut of Latin America" ? Will the cruise ship port look emptier? Will Miami Beach cater to more of a "Panama City beach crowd" in an attempt to maintain its level of revenue?

Or will the sheer influx of everyone trying to see Cuba put Miami on the map more than ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I think it would be the same.

I don't think the cruise ship thing will expand tourism to Miami to Cuba. I think most people would just fly to Cuba bypassing Miami altogether.

That being said, Miami will still always get its tourists as well, because Miami is Miami.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:47 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Ok, lets assume that tomorrow, Obama signs into law that ALL Americans can travel to Cuba, SPEND MONEY THERE, start businesses there, etc etc.

First of all, the infrastructure is so decrepit in Cuba, I think it will take at least 5-10 years before the island can accept 'regular' tourists. Ports have to be modernized, harbors dredged, and social services like modern ambulances and hospitals need to take hold. Then there is the deal with the legal system there in regards to foreigners, as there are many gray areas here.

If Cuba opened up tomorrow, and tourists started booking flights on AeroCaribe, Cubana, Aero Mexico, or even American carriers to go to Cuba, I think that they would fit into the 'eco tourist' category due to the state of Cuba's infrastructure. Trust me, a simple drive from downtown Havana to Jose Marti International Airport can be an 'adventure'. What a colorful drive this can be.

What will happen to Miami's tourist economy when Havana builds itself back into a world class "Beirut of Latin America" ? Will the cruise ship port look emptier? Will Miami Beach cater to more of a "Panama City beach crowd" in an attempt to maintain its level of revenue?

Or will the sheer influx of everyone trying to see Cuba put Miami on the map more than ever?
I'm pretty sure the Cuban Government won't allow Americans to start businesses with Cuba.

They only care about Tourism, nothing else.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 AM

809 posts, read 2,315,463 times
By the time Cuba becomes a cruise ship mecca, people will be traveling "Beam me up Scotty" style.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Cuba

You are exaggerating a bit.
The drive from Aeropuerto José Martí to Havana is quite pleasant.
The Rancho Boyeros expressway is Ok.
The island receives regular tourists right now.
You've got your share of Five Star Hotels, nice restaurants.
But I don't think that Americans will like the place.
Maybe in 20 years.
Eco tourism?
They hate backpackers, no place for backpackers.
Cuba is a safe place now, but there's a cop every 10 meters.
What will happen in a Democracy?
But if they solve of those problems, it would be a death blow to Miami.
But were are talking Sci-Fi here.
Cruise ships you say? To Havana?
Man, the city is beautiful, but ruined and not a European city anymore.
Well, I'm not talking about Overtown, but Americans will remember Overtown when they walk around Old Havana.
You would have to build a harbour somewhere else, around Marina Hemingway, to the west.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Cuba

But if they solve of those problems, it would be a death blow to Miami.
But were are talking Sci-Fi here.

On the contrary, it might be the only hope for Miami. That and a sweep of a Cat 5 broom. Siphoning off tourists from south Florida will mean more impetus to develop a real economy. The medical tourism alone would eliminate all of the medicare fraud clinics that thrive in Miami.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:07 AM

The "Real Economy" of Miami are services.
Tourism, land development, financial services, medical services.
That's the real economy.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:32 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
First off yea Cuba is not very modern but dont forget it still handles millions and millions of tourist a year from around the world from every where but the US.
I think the cruise Ships will stay in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale it is a lot easier for people and cheaper for people to fly to a domestic destination to get on a cruise ship. It would not make any sense to start cruises in International ports.

Also Miami International would have many many flights a day to Havana and other Cuban cities. It already does have multiple daily flights to Havana and other larger Cuban cities but one day when the embargo is lifted you will see American Airlines flying 15-20 daily flights from Miami to Cuba, Jet Blue and Sprit flying from FLL etc.. It will be a big market and it will only bring more people to Miami to connect on plane or boat.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:32 PM

FlyMIA

Well, "billions and billions" of tourists, no way.
Less tan 2 million.
A lot from the US, around half a million.
I believe that if such scenario becomes a reality in the next 10 years, Miami will be shorted.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:47 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
On the contrary, it might be the only hope for Miami. That and a sweep of a Cat 5 broom. Siphoning off tourists from south Florida will mean more impetus to develop a real economy. The medical tourism alone would eliminate all of the medicare fraud clinics that thrive in Miami.
I agree with the above, unless Cuba becomes a free port and first port of entry into the US as part of a hemispheric free trade zone (fat chance, and even logistically it doesn't make much sense) ,

Probably the most that will happen is that it would siphon some tourism to Cuba.

The engine of growth of Miami's economy, especially the corridor served by the metrorail from downtown to Dadeland, is international trade and its main competitors in that regard are Savannah, Houston, and a few other US ports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami