Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times

Advertisements

I heard the same, that a Walmart was going there. Also a Aldi's is suppose to be going in somewhere in that area as well.

And yes, there was a movie theater there - I saw the original Willie Wonka movie there long, long ago.

I remember a Chinese restaurant there too, I would always go in and get the rice paper candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
That is is soooo congested, I can't imagine a Wal Mart Supercenter being built there. What a nightmare and monument to poor planning.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
+1

Old 02-14-2011, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 21,590 times
Unhappy walmart coming to westchester Miami fl.

this is awful for the community. The businesses in the area are struggling as it is. The Walmart on NW 12 Avenue and Galloway put a Dollar store out of business. Can you imagine what it will do to all of the mom and pop stores in the area?

This piece of property was approved in 2006 as a Home Depot. Nothing much was done with it during that time. Approximately one month ago a sign went up saying that this piece of property was now going to be a Walmart. Now - just one month later - a giant building has gone up.
I contacted my county commissioner to complain about this. I was told that title was transferred over to Walmart by Home Depot and that Walmart has to adhere to all of the conditions that Home Depot agreed to originally. That is, open only between the hours of 6am to 10pm. Shopping carts cannot leave the property, that kind of thing.

I dread the traffic that this store will bring to an already saturated part of Galloway (87 ave) and Coral Way (24 street). In a two block radius we already have:
Walgreens, CVS,TJMaxx, Valsan, Publix Sabor, Ross, Pier 1, Dunkin Donuts, Wachovia, Bank of America, Chase Bank, Staples, Winn Dixie, Babies R Us, CAC Medical Center. and those are just some of the large businesses. Add to this mix about 30 mom and pop stores......I will just have to find somewhere else to shop. I will not go to this area once the Walmart opens.

If you care about the area contact county commissioner Javier Souto and let him know how you feel: district10@miamidade.gov

Last edited by carib; 02-14-2011 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: add information

Old 02-14-2011, 02:06 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Well I think it is pretty convenient. You can do all your shopping in one area. Welcome Walmart!!

Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 PM

what planning?????

Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
Walmart will not kill the mom and pop stores - that's more of a Supermarket thing.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Unhappy walmart coming to westchester Miami fl.

The Walmart that is coming to Westchester is going to be a Super Walmart. There will be groceries. Just as there will be congestion.

Ever wonder why stores like this aren't going up in Coral Gables and Pinecrest? Must be that their residents don't want all of the convenience so near by. The folks in the area should also enjoy the convenience of the trucks hauling in all of that merchandise at all hours of the day and night. Just because the store will not be open 24 hours (yet!) doesn't mean that the receiving area will be closed as well.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:15 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
I remember the good old days when Kmart was there, Food Value to its right and Zaire across the intersection. If I'm not mistaken, Burdines used to be across from Kmart? I had my first job in that Kmart. People (customers) back then were so much nicer.....every one was decent and somehow with the same background, nationality. Nothing like today's ghetto/ME ME ME culture....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 PM

83 posts, read 216,836 times
this is awful (( that area is already so traffic clogged and a walmart? nasty - i only know one other walmart here, the one off 87 in doral and it is soooo nasty and always packed and traffic jammed. A shame. Couldn't they build something nicer? Idk something more interesting...........walmart is like the epitomy of trashy America, not cool america. At least restraunts would have been nice.....local restraunts not some big fat ugly chilis or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami