Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 AM

348 posts, read 638,302 times

Advertisements

I just turned 50. I'm a single mom of a 12 year old boy.
Can't take the winters any longer. Suffer from recurring bouts of severe winter blues that make it impossible for me to function for months.
Speak excellent Spanish and Portuguese (as well as a few other languages). Lived in Latin America. Very familiar with the people, cultures, economy, politics, current events in S.America.
Have no issues with multiculturalism, Hispanics, Latinos, Mestizos....
Grew up in a communist country. Spent a bit of time in Cuba as a high school student. (I'm a firm believer in a secular society, in meritocracy, equal opportunity, hard work).
I'm willing to start a new career, retrain, get another degree, do whatever, before I get there....in order to be able to "live in the sun".
I'm wondering what my realistic options would be in South Florida...considering the bad economy and high unemployment?

I intend to stay up here....for another 2 years....and I have access to excellent educational facilities at a very reasonable cost...thus...I could retrain for just about any new field. I'm not scared of starting all over.

Please....suggest some new career options for the new post-crash Florida economy. Suggest geographic areas of S.Florida. (I'm fine with urban life...as well as suburban life).
Keep in mind...that my previous work and education has never been in natural science...hospitals...etc. Basically, I'm willing to retrain for a new career just so I can live and work in South Florida.

I'm coming from an admin...banking....sales, hospitality background...with an excellent education in international studies (Int. relations....Political economy, development) and some finance-banking courses as well.

I have an entrepreunerial streak in me as well....and I've looked at a possibility of starting a business.

I had considered moving to S. America....but finally decided on S.Florida...because of my age...and my son....and our family ties to N.America, Europe...as well as S.America.
I'm not looking to buy a home. I'm fine with renting a place with good facilities, in a good location...and access to good schools.
Eventually, I'll want to buy a lot...and build my own home, as I'm very much into homesteading, DIY, green living and architecture.

Currently, I'm considering retraining as a CV technologist...in order to be able to work in solar energy sales and marketing? Any comments on this choice and its relevance to the South Florida economy?
I've also looked at e-commerce, events management-conference planning, financial services (even thought of challenging myself...and getting my CFA credentials), geriatric care management...

Will be very glad to hear from any readers...with well thought out, sincere and relevent suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
There is no affordable buildable land in south Florida yet. Please do yourself a favor and avoid the area altogether. Most of Florida is in economic decline and will worsen for years to come. South Florida is ground zero for Great Depression/ third world lifestyle. You might do a lot better to find a latin American country to do business in.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
There is no affordable buildable land in south Florida yet. Please do yourself a favor and avoid the area altogether. Most of Florida is in economic decline and will worsen for years to come. South Florida is ground zero for Great Depression/ third world lifestyle. You might do a lot better to find a latin American country to do business in.
Thanks for responding to my inquiry.
I can really see your perspective....but you've just given me one more reason of why-YES-South Florida. It's Cuba!
There's going to be a lot going on in Cuba...and Florida being so nearby...
having English language educational facilities....is a bonus for my son...and for any middle class parent. (American high schools in Latin America...are very expensive...also except for Argentina, Uruguay, Chile...the crime rate is very high throughout the region).
The future of the immediate region's new business will be in Cuba....and many people will choose to reside in Miami....and do business in Cuba.
You've actually given me an idea....to get on the plane....and "smell" out Cuba first. (I can easily get in and out...with another passport....and I have a friend who goes there a few times a year)
Communism is OVER. I lived it. I lived its demise. Now...it's just a wait-see.
It's just a matter of what kind of attitude the US is going to have towards Cuba. It's really going to have to swallow its imperialistic pride...and take a humbler posture vis-a-vis its neighbours.
The age of USA's absolute hegemony in the region is over...but that doesn't mean that South Florida cannot find itself a prominent place in the re-arranged puzzle. Thus...I'm really not that pessimistic...about Florida's future....(unless some really incompetent idiots take over the place. I mean....how many more bumbling Bushes can anyplace in the US afford to elect ever again? )
The advantages of residing in Florida...vs...South America...are huge....not just for the poor....but also for the wealthy and the middle classes.
In South America.....had friends car-jacked...my friends' grand kids can't walk down the street....all the family's cars are bullet-proofed at a huge cost. Houses in the major cities aren't necessarily cheaper....than in Miami suburbs....thus for me....South Florida is still a better choice (being a single mom & all).

Believe it not....it's way safer in South Florida....for the rich...and for the poor. Yes...some people...are making enormous amounts of money down there....and a lot of it...honestly too....but I have only one heir...and no spare.

Regarding....a building lot. I found some lots in Key Largo, Naples, northwest of Miami. I checked out Trulia...and there's plenty of lots on sale. I'm hoping to buy something before I even get down there.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:21 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
I think you have a comprehensive picture of the grand scheme of things, fine.

The next step is to network: you need contacts at businesses/institutions located in Miami who can give you real job leads. You will not find that on this forum, which is more useful, in a concrete sense, for describing neighborhoods, communities, and how to get around, as well as the big picture, by now a theme beaten to death.

Canvass everyone that you have had contact within the business/institutional world up to this point and ask them if they have specific personal contacts in Miami.

That is the most practical route for you right now.

Good luck!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
the six month unbearably rainy, dreary and cloudy summer is potentially more depressing than winter up north...it is relentless

Old 05-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I think you have a comprehensive picture of the grand scheme of things, fine.

The next step is to network: you need contacts at businesses/institutions located in Miami who can give you real job leads. You will not find that on this forum, which is more useful, in a concrete sense, for describing neighborhoods, communities, and how to get around, as well as the big picture, by now a theme beaten to death.

Canvass everyone that you have had contact within the business/institutional world up to this point and ask them if they have specific personal contacts in Miami.

That is the most practical route for you right now.

Good luck!
Thanks for your guidance and support. I'll also start networking Florida...and I'm definitely heading to Cuba...to check it out soon.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM

140 posts, read 508,234 times
If you're familiar with tropical climates like Cuba, you'll be fine in Miami. We have massive thunderstorms almost every day during the summer that roll through and roll out just as quickly.

I'm not sure why a poster above called this "dreary". It may be hot and uncomfortable, but is definitely not depressing like the heavy winters up north where the grey clouds hang around oppressively all day. And if you're choosing between south florida and a south american country closer to the equator (venezuela comes to mind), the weather here will be mild by comparison.

You're educated and speak spanish (i assume you write it as well) -- so you have one leg up. I don't have any advice for specific training, but i would definitely second the suggestion that you network and try to line up a job before making the move.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelquiet View Post
If you're familiar with tropical climates like Cuba, you'll be fine in Miami. We have massive thunderstorms almost every day during the summer that roll through and roll out just as quickly.

I'm not sure why a poster above called this "dreary". It may be hot and uncomfortable, but is definitely not depressing like the heavy winters up north where the grey clouds hang around oppressively all day. And if you're choosing between south florida and a south american country closer to the equator (venezuela comes to mind), the weather here will be mild by comparison.

You're educated and speak spanish (i assume you write it as well) -- so you have one leg up. I don't have any advice for specific training, but i would definitely second the suggestion that you network and try to line up a job before making the move.
I already lived in the Tropics.....and NEVER-EVER missed "up North". In fact....I was thinking and talking to myself....in Portuguese (and Spanish). I completely assimilated into the local society...and when I was leaving the country....got held up at the border for 6 hours 'cause they thought I was travelling with a fake passport and pretending to be a "Gringa".
I came back up here...for school....and got stuck...'cause of this thing...called love.
It's taken me 2 years to convince my son to be willing to go...and I promised him he won't have to leave for a another couple of years....until high school.
We travel to Europe....usually in the summers...so if it rains....we may not be there.
I have my son in an after-school Portuguese class. He has a hard time learning languages, but I have him convinced that Spanish will be even easier (which it is).
I've also brainwashed him since childhood...that knowing and learning foreign languages is VERY important, and that it is an essential of being a worldly, cultured young man....in this small new world....we live in.
He's travelled a lot...and saw for himself...tri-lingual 9 year olds....which left him in awe...and aware of the handicap....of knowing ONLY one language....when the entire world's learning English...and already speaks at least one other language.
It's been a while...since I've written any "serious" Spanish or Portuguese (eg. business documents)....although I do read and write both languages. I think I'll brush up on business corresponadence & some technical writing.....during the next couple of years. Otherwise....I speak both languages fluently (a talent for languages that I inherited from my parents....that my son...unfortunately...didn't inherit from his mother)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami