Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 12:44 AM

9 posts, read 18,233 times

Advertisements

I currently live about 5 minutes outside of DC and am considering a move to Florida. My priorities are living in a neighborhood that is safe but not in the boonies. Does anyone know of an area of Miami that is safe yet close to restaurants/areas of interest? I also heard that the salaries in Miami are low despite the high cost of living, is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
For the most part yes, its true salaries are low compared to the cost of living. As for areas to look at that are close to things try these areas. Brickell, South Beach, Coral Gables, South Miami, Coconut Grove, Easy Kendall, Pinecrest and Key Biscayne.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 14,475 times
Yes, it's true. Generally, salaries are much lower than the cost of living. It's definitely not a place where you get the most "bang for the buck."

I think safe places are far and few in between in Miami. Then again, my definition of safe might be different than your definition of safe. If you single with no kids, you can try Brickell or Aventura area, or maybe even Kendall. However, if you want a clean, cozy neighborhood type setting where you can walk down the street at night without feeling paranoid, then you're going to have to shell out some real dough. You could try living on Miami Beach. I've lived there for a few years and it's okay.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:19 AM

13 posts, read 86,016 times
It is VERY true. I know people love to see Miami as a paradise but if you don't have ALOOOOOOT of dough please consider not moving. The safest areas are Aventura, Coral Gables and Pinecrest and also the nicest neighborhoods. It is VERY high to live, the cheapest apartment is about $910 for a one bedroom and thats in the nice Kendall area close to Coral Gables. What kind of work do you do? That will be the big make you or break you. Housing costs are through the roof! The school system sucks so private school would be your best option. Just visit for a couple of weeks before moving. You would be glad you did!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:06 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, Aventura, Doral.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:10 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
For the most part yes, its true salaries are low compared to the cost of living. As for areas to look at that are close to things try these areas. Brickell, South Beach, Coral Gables, South Miami, Coconut Grove, Easy Kendall, Pinecrest and Key Biscayne.
doggiebus ... good suggestions although I would include Sunny Isles , Aventura and Miami Shores on this list .

Old 07-12-2009, 06:17 PM

9 posts, read 45,295 times
If you have school aged children, you can't go wrong with Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
I would honestly recommend Miami Springs. It's one of the few places in Miami where people drive sensibly and it has a huge park/golf course smack in the middle of it, where I see people out running, walking, walking their dogs or out with their kids all the time.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:23 PM

15 posts, read 30,535 times
Hello, i have the same question, but i have 2 chlidrens, 10 and 4 years each, what neigborhoods can be good to live with family, i mean have good public schools for childs, and low crime.

Thank you Very Much!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:47 AM

9 posts, read 45,295 times
drcd76, very good schools are found in Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay. Not as expensive is "The Falls" area, just across US 1.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami