Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 AM

11 posts, read 33,416 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in southern Indiana right on the Kentucky border (metro Louisville area). She got laid off 2 months ago and has had no luck whatsoever finding anything locally that actually pays anything at all. When we met she lived in St Pete and loved it. I lived here in IN and was tied to a rather large house payment. In 2 yrs time we've still had no luck selling so we are now planning to rent it out and are close to having a contract on it.

We've been planning to move back to the Tampa/St Pete area once we had the house covered and at least one of us found a job down there. I've personally always had a love of Miami and just recently got her to consider moving there. Has anyone had any experience with the current job markets in both cities? Is one better than the other currently? Please, let's not turn this into an argument over race, city attractions, crime, better beaches, traffic, etc. We understand all of that for both locations and can accept it. Trust me, either place is better than where we are now. Lol. Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:54 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Unemployment in Miami is above 11%, higher than the national average. Things are terrible! But maybe you will get something, start applying! But i wouldn't move down here with nothing in hand, that is for sure.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 AM

^^^Yeah, we definitely wouldn't make a move without at least one of us having a position secured.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:13 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Joo 'ave to E'speek E'spaneesh.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 PM

29 posts, read 97,096 times
u might want to apply for a police departement in south florida. Is a good market for employment

Old 07-31-2009, 08:46 PM

22 posts, read 88,681 times
I grew up in New Albany, IN and I was bashing my head against the wall to move away. I now live in Miami. Don't be so sure that where you live is so bad, if I was offered a job in Louisville, I wold move back in an instant. I happen to speak Spanish and have no idea how people function here without it. The job market is ruthless in a good economy here and wages do not compensate for the high cost of living. Right now, things are the worst I've ever seen. I know people with masters degrees fighting for 9 dollar/ hour jobs. Don't get me wrong, miami is beautiful, its warm, its a sailors/cyclists/outdoor enthusiast paradise, as long as you are making the money to enjoy those things. I personally have been planing on moving from South Florida since I got here, and that hasn't changed in 3 years. I just happen to have a good job right now and don't want to leave it in this crap economy. Not to be a naysayer: I do have a lot of fun here, but when it comes to the logistics of living, Miami sucks, and as I phase out of my 20's, I've got my sights set on greener pastures for buying a home and starting a family. All of this, of course, pertains only to me, but from one southern Indiana boy to another: seriously think about Tampa over Miami. The people are way friendlier and its not all about the glitz and glam. Or stay in Louisville, it really ain't so bad after you see some of the crap you have to put up with here. I laugh when I think about when I thought it was bad to have to drive 15min to my job. In the end, I love a lot of things about living here in Miami, but its a passing fancy for me. When the rubber meets the road, I really need a place that is more affordable and not so freaking superficial about everything.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:39 PM

348 posts, read 638,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Joo 'ave to E'speek E'spaneesh.
Can't stop laughing. You're nuts!

Joo 'ave to tell dem too take an E'spaneesh class! E'spaneesh izz de eazziest language to learn.
Even Bush e'speeks a little.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Roguewave, thanks for the input. I'm sure TV makes things seem far more appealing down there. The couple of times I've been down there I absolutely loved it, but I also know that I wasn't experiencing the "real world" since I was there for vacation. I honestly think I would enjoy the city even with the understood nuisances, but do appreciate your candid answers. I'm sure that the cost of living is far less in Tampa and living there might still make Miami a great place to go for a weekend getaway. Sometimes you can spoil your perception of a place by experiencing too much real life there.

To adress the Louisville comment, this isn't the place it was 3 yrs ago. Companies are pulling out of here left and right, jobs are scarce, good jobs don't exist, and it seems like the entire area is going to implode on itself. I would highly advise you to go to almost any other metro area before coming back here. It's looking worse and worse everyday. I don't have a problem with where we are, I just see it becoming a small Detroit and want to get out before that happens.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:45 PM

21 posts, read 85,974 times
Avoid Miami like the plague. The unemployment in Miami/Dade is ridiculous. I grew up in Miami, and still have lots of friends and family who live there and are on pins and needles everyday. The crime gets worse and worse in Miami as the years go by with the corrupt Miami PD doing nothing about it. Great place to visit, not a place to raise your kids.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APD09 View Post
u might want to apply for a police departement in south florida. Is a good market for employment
You don't become a cop or any other public safety professional because it's a "secure job" or has "good benefits". If you don't truly love the job and want to help people, you will become miserable in this field and you will burn out and mess up and become a huge liability to whoever you work for. Not only that, but you would probably be weeded out during the selection process if the evaluators can pick up on this..and they usually can. Never get into something because of it's perceived security...you would be doing it for the totally wrong reasons. The last thing we need are cops that don't want to truly serve and protect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: