Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:00 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,202,620 times

Advertisements

A friend has a concealed weapons permit and carries a 9mm semi automatic glock wherever she goes. It gives her peace of mind and the confidence to go into any Miami neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
It is always nice to have the right tool for the job. However, only if you know how and when to use it! I have never needed to use mine yet.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 PM

259 posts, read 840,978 times
No, but as a woman I do carry a knife underneath my car seat..

Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
A friend has a concealed weapons permit and carries a 9mm semi automatic glock wherever she goes. It gives her peace of mind and the confidence to go into any Miami neighborhood.
No, I do not "pack heat," even when I have to drive through bad neighborhoods. The idea of needing a gun to defend yourself is absolutely ridiculous in 99% of Miami-area neighborhoods. Civilians who aren't hunting in the wilderness should not, in my opinion, be allowed to have guns.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,399 times
I do have a concealed weapons permit, but since I can't take a gun to work, that pretty much makes that null. Besides, if confronted, would I seriously blow someone away, no...I am learning cardio kick boxing, so that is my plan for self defense. That, and the fact that I am taller, stronger, and bigger than most men, and an old army warhorse to boot, I think that any one would take one look at me, and not bother to mess with me. I look mean. I am mean. A mean old woman, who could whoop any young buck's ass. I would take my pocketbook, and hit them over the head, or some place else. And kick with my old granny shoes.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
All my friends have guns, and some do go hunting. Why is it a bad thing for law-abiding citizens to have guns? If a criminal tries to burglarize your home it is your duty to protect yourself. Even if you are not going to fire having a gun can be a useful negotiation tool. This, after all is the gunshine state!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,277 times
My sister lives there, I got her a 775,000 volt stun gun. She's never zapped anyone, but she has pulled the trigger and scared off a few people.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:35 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Why is it a bad thing for law-abiding citizens to have guns? If a criminal tries to burglarize your home it is your duty to protect yourself.
It is much too easy to obtain a concealed weapons permit; I do not even want to think of the irresponsible and/or unstable people who have once obtained one. I do not even trust law-abiding, Average Joe with a deadly weapon in public! People should not be walking around with guns, in my opinion.

I am a bit divided on whether or not a citizen - with a weapons permit - should be allowed to have guns in his own dwelling. Tallrick, I can understand your concern.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
All my friends have guns, and some do go hunting. Why is it a bad thing for law-abiding citizens to have guns? If a criminal tries to burglarize your home it is your duty to protect yourself. Even if you are not going to fire having a gun can be a useful negotiation tool. This, after all is the gunshine state!
That is fine to have a gun in your home and everyone has the right to protect themselves. I don't see why have people have to walk around like the old west with weapons strapped to themselves.

Guns in the car, bringing guns to work but leaving them in the car, too many bad drivers on the road here and it doesn't take much for some people to lose their temper.

If you are aware of your surroundings and stay out of bad areas you can help keep yourself out of harm's way.

Have lived all over the country and never saw such a gun happy place,which reinforces my belief that FL has more than its fair share of lowlifes.

Whether they're transplants or homegrown, never saw so many decent people fearful of their safety.

I think it speaks volumes for the type of people that populate this state. That the decent people live in such fear and feel the need to be constantly armed.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
I'm all for gun rights, but shooting a burglar on your own property is a little different from walking around public with a handgun in your pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami