Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:03 PM

6 posts, read 23,806 times

Advertisements

Again, back to the topic please; I'm looking for useful info about where to live (see my original post from this thread); so far its been helpful, but I'd rather not get this thread sidetracked.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 06:08 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,816 times
If you could come visit for a few weekdays and check out the areas mentioned before, Coconut Grove, Brickell, and Miami Beach, I am sure you could find something perfect that meets both of your needs. I would choose living on the beach #1, Coconut Grove #2, and Brickell #3.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:17 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
If you could come visit for a few weekdays and check out the areas mentioned before, Coconut Grove, Brickell, and Miami Beach, I am sure you could find something perfect that meets both of your needs. I would choose living on the beach #1, Coconut Grove #2, and Brickell #3.
This is the best possible advice: ideally you need the experience of viewing the circumstances and the alternatives with your own eyes.

If your girlfriend is commuting, say, three days a week instead of five, you're better bet is to rent directly on Miami Beach, I suppose relatively close to a bus line that will get her across into Miami and onto the Metrorail.

(Is there ferry service between Miami Beach and downtown?)

Alternatively, check out sections of Coconut Grove within a reasonable distance to the Metrorail station there.

The Brickell area is fine too, especially as a mid-point, but it may not have the atmosphere that you are seeking at this stage.

Pricewise, Coconut Grove may be the least expensive of the three areas, but with the rental figure you mentioned you should be able to find something decent in any of the three.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlubFlav31 View Post
Again, back to the topic please; I'm looking for useful info about where to live (see my original post from this thread); so far its been helpful, but I'd rather not get this thread sidetracked.
Thanks.
Miami Beach!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 AM

Thanks! How long would the commute be from Miami Beach to U of Miami?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 AM

15-20 minutes (not in rush hour evening traffic).

Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 PM

So is that 15-20 minutes from Miami Beach to U of Miami during most hours of the day except the rush hour evening traffic? What about the morning drive?

Does traffic go towards or away from Miami Beach in the morning commute hours?

Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 PM

158 posts, read 647,357 times
MOst people in the beach work in the mainland so yea but i would give it 30 min max.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
So is that 15-20 minutes from Miami Beach to U of Miami during most hours of the day except the rush hour evening traffic? What about the morning drive?

Does traffic go towards or away from Miami Beach in the morning commute hours?
In the morning traffic goes east towards Downtown Miami/Brickell, past downtown twowards Miami Beach it is ok in the morning. Going west from Miami Beach, it is fine, till Downtown/Brickell exit and after that south bound is clear.

Ditto to that give her 30 minutes just incase in the morning. But its probably only 20 minutes max.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
What about the morning drive?
I may be wrong, but I imagine that there are buses that run frequently enough between Miami Beach and the Downtown or Brickell Metrorail station which links directly to UoM.

I'm not so sure that finding parking at or around UoM three to five days a week during the day is a picnic.

Also consider the expense of gasoline and the risk of accident (not to be overlooked in densely populated Miami).

Since public transport, especially the train, seems to cover the route in this case (maybe someone can explain the bus service between Miami Beach and downtown), why not use it and avoid potential hassles?

We hear about road rage in Miami, but do people have horror stories about riding Miami buses as well?

I've never had a problem on Metrorail, except that it is only one line covering a limited area, some of which is useful, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami