Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,453 times

Advertisements

Wow, there seems like a wealth of great information here! I have spent the last few days searching this site, and I think I have enough information to form a succint question for those of you from Miami.

My husband and I are starting our family in Miami. It's not my choice, but he needs to be here for work, so here we are. My username describes my attitude. We've been living in a condo on Biscayne Bay in midtown for 4 months and I have learned I am not cut out for condo living at all. We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom house in the 600k-700k range. I would love to live in Key Biscayne because I like the "neighborhood" feel and the walkability and bikability to parks, and the quietness. Unfortunately we can't afford a house there. Our real estate agent wants us drive around the city to pick the neighborhood, and from this site I have learned that we would probably be interested in:

Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
East Kendall
Pinecrest
Central or North Miami Beach
Miami Shores

Can you all help me plan my driving tour? Maybe even specific streets? I would like to live near a park, maybe with a playground. I would like my street to not have too much traffic or noise. I would like to see a neighborhood where the neighbors are likely to be friendly. I would like to not have to commute too far for grocery shopping. The neighborhood is really more important to me than the house.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:38 PM

796 posts, read 1,845,278 times
Within your price range, you can get a nice house in a nice neighborhood. I would also check out parts of Old Cutler Road. Pinecrest seems to have pretty much what you want as far as neighborhood amenities. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,389,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
Within your price range, you can get a nice house in a nice neighborhood. I would also check out parts of Old Cutler Road. Pinecrest seems to have pretty much what you want as far as neighborhood amenities. Good luck and keep us posted!
Agreed. A good park would be Coral Reef (SW 152 and 77 Ave). Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay are almost purely residential so noise shouldn't be an issue.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 AM

392 posts, read 1,262,425 times
Miami Lakes is worth a look at

Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 AM

707 posts, read 1,409,860 times
Kings Bay is also nice just south of Palmetto Bay and maybe a little cheaper but still nice and quiet.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
Kings Bay is also nice just south of Palmetto Bay and maybe a little cheaper but still nice and quiet.
Err, Kings Bay is that little area east of Palmetto Bay that decided to be part of Coral Gables and is actually more expensive.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,333,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by make_the_best_of_it View Post
Wow, there seems like a wealth of great information here! I have spent the last few days searching this site, and I think I have enough information to form a succint question for those of you from Miami.

My husband and I are starting our family in Miami. It's not my choice, but he needs to be here for work, so here we are. My username describes my attitude. We've been living in a condo on Biscayne Bay in midtown for 4 months and I have learned I am not cut out for condo living at all. We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom house in the 600k-700k range. I would love to live in Key Biscayne because I like the "neighborhood" feel and the walkability and bikability to parks, and the quietness. Unfortunately we can't afford a house there. Our real estate agent wants us drive around the city to pick the neighborhood, and from this site I have learned that we would probably be interested in:

Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
East Kendall
Pinecrest
Central or North Miami Beach
Miami Shores

Can you all help me plan my driving tour? Maybe even specific streets? I would like to live near a park, maybe with a playground. I would like my street to not have too much traffic or noise. I would like to see a neighborhood where the neighbors are likely to be friendly. I would like to not have to commute too far for grocery shopping. The neighborhood is really more important to me than the house.

Thanks!
I'm not a native nor currently in Miami but will be in the market fairly soon. These look of interest to me in Coconut Grove around your price point:
---------------
Not too great based on the outside picture, but the lane looks cozy and very quiet:

2750 Coacoochee St, Coconut Grove, FL | Powered by Postlets
----------------
This one looks nice and new... not sure if this suites you, though:

3070 SHIPPING AV, Unit #3070, Coconut Grove, FL 33133 (MLS# M1342595) - Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate LLC - FloridaMoves.com

----------------

Could be interesting:

3638 Palmetto Ave., Coconut Grove, FL | Powered by Postlets

-------------------

This one looks nice:

2731 SW 22 Av, Miami, FL | Powered by Postlets

-----------------

I won't bore you with more links, but I'll give the rest of my opinion. I like the Coconut Grove area, especially around CocoWalk for a couple of reasons:

1) It seems to be not a horrible walk to Metrorail. As the system continues to expand, this will be a good selling point in the future (obviously if you're really far down in CG it's moot point, though) Once the airport link is complete, this will be especially great for frequent and even non-frequent travelers. Parking at the airport can be expensive and fighting traffic trying to get there even worse!

2) Shops and restaurants. It's wonderful to be able to walk to these things. Nothing more refreshing, IMO, then to be able to walk to and from dinner on a beautiful evening.

3) Access to the hospital. With Mercy Hospital being right there, should anything happen to you medically speaking, I would wager response time to be much faster. I've seen both friends and family have medical emergencies when they least expected. Having a hospital close gives peace of mind, at least for me.

4) Parks. There are plenty of parks there and the picnic islands off the coast seem like they're great.

5) Tree cover. Nice amount of mature trees to provide shade and help clean the air.

6) 5.5 miles to Dadeland Mall! Can't beat that!

All in all Coconut Grove, IMO, is a wonderful central location to all Miami has to offer. With the expansion of public transit, it will only get better. I don't see values going down in the Grove.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Not sure the Grove is the best place for the quiet neighborhood the OP is looking for.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:09 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,679,228 times
OP: ALL of those are nice neighborhoods that fit what you want.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:49 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,333,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Not sure the Grove is the best place for the quiet neighborhood the OP is looking for.
Do you live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami