Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:19 PM

41 posts, read 38,605 times

Advertisements

Well, I didn't really do much talking in English in Miami since I'm Latino and in Miami, Spanish what most people will speak to you anyway.

My wife and I did speak English to a native Miami girl of Cuban and PR descent. It was apparent that she did not sound like anyone from back home (we're New Yorkers). Her accent did have traces of a Spanish pronunciation, especially her "L's, and she mentioned one word "chonga-licious", obviously I asked her what that word meant and she told me it means a girl who looks and dresses ghetto, example, hoop earrings and whatnot. I did not get a chance to speak to any White or African Americans from Miami so I can't speak for them, but what everyone is saying about Whites sounding like New Yorkers and Blacks sounding Southern sounds legit enough based on what I saw on TV down there.

If I had to compare the Miami Hispanic accent, I would say it sounds the most similar to how second-generation Dominican American youth speak in Washington Heights. It's English fused with urban speech and a slight Hispanic accent being that most of them grow up in Spanish-only households, very much like Cuban American youth do in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 04:12 PM

212 posts, read 208,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Many of the prior posts here are breaking down versions of Miami that have long past. Certainly there are major differences in present day Miami accents based on race and socio-economic status and the region of the country or foreign country a person has been raised from.

However, for the majority of present day Miami residents who comprise the largest group demographically within the city, you only need to watch something like the Real Housewives of Miami to understand the present day "Miami Accent". It is the latina women of the show with their spanglish or english with heavily accented spanish letters or words that represents what you typically hear in most parts of Miami Dade.

Even listening to radio such as Power 96 will allow you to hear the influence of Spanish on English pronunciation. It is strikingly different to the trained ear and subtle to others to hear English from a bi-lingual person born and raised in Miami versus a bi-lingual person born and raised in a foreign latin country.

That is the present day "Miami Accent". Go to Dadeland or Brickell or LA Fitness in Kendall or Doral and you will understand unequivocally what is dominant and what sets Miami English and accent apart from the rest of the country.

Hispanic accents on English are much different in the Northeast and out west in San Antonia or LA as well. Miami language is unique and heavily influenced by Cuban.

Yes, the same Engllish you hear in Havana. But I guess it's a rather transitory stage to Spanish. Spanish is more powerful in this area of the world.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny0881 View Post
Well, I didn't really do much talking in English in Miami since I'm Latino and in Miami, Spanish what most people will speak to you anyway.

My wife and I did speak English to a native Miami girl of Cuban and PR descent. It was apparent that she did not sound like anyone from back home (we're New Yorkers). Her accent did have traces of a Spanish pronunciation, especially her "L's, and she mentioned one word "chonga-licious", obviously I asked her what that word meant and she told me it means a girl who looks and dresses ghetto, example, hoop earrings and whatnot. I did not get a chance to speak to any White or African Americans from Miami so I can't speak for them, but what everyone is saying about Whites sounding like New Yorkers and Blacks sounding Southern sounds legit enough based on what I saw on TV down there.

If I had to compare the Miami Hispanic accent, I would say it sounds the most similar to how second-generation Dominican American youth speak in Washington Heights. It's English fused with urban speech and a slight Hispanic accent being that most of them grow up in Spanish-only households, very much like Cuban American youth do in Miami.

It depends on education, if Cubans are middle class and attended private schools, their Spainish will be perfect.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 PM

167 posts, read 246,609 times
It's like none of you actually live here.

There definitely is a Miami accent, just like there is a new York and Boston accent.

The Boston accent is influenced by Irish (Gaelic) just like the Miami accent is influenced by Spanish. It does NOT mean that you have to speak Irish or Spanish, or have any roots with Ireland or Spain or any "latin" country to have the accent.

Also, the Miami accent and cuban "reffy" accent are two completely different things. EDIT: There's also people who weren't raised here and have and accent.

And yes, the Miami accent started in Dade and has moved to broward and palm Beach since of course Dade, broward and palm Beach are all part of the Miami metro area.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:11 AM

I guess the Miami accent is spoken majoritarily by second and third generation Cubans.

I guess that the "reffy" is the English you hear in Havana..that could be very good or just pidgin cheo.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:36 PM

41 posts, read 38,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
It depends on education, if Cubans are middle class and attended private schools, their Spainish will be perfect.
I'm talking about the Miami accent in English, though. Like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWqplY22cw

Old 05-15-2018, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 945 times
I’ve lived in Miami all my life and have no idea what a Miami accent is. My parents are from Cuba and I agree some white Cubans that were born over there and learned English do have a heavy NY like accent but the ones like me (born in the US to Cuban parents who know little to no English) it’s like we don’t even have an accent. We just speak English lol. I wonder what people outside of Miami think of us when they listen to us talk. I wonder if they can notice we are from
Miami or if they think we’re from somewhere else. I’m a darker shade of mulatto with facial hair and I’m always mistaken for being black or Dominican , so I guess my accent (if I even have one) isn’t too obvious.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:04 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
As some posters have mentioned, Miami contains many different socio-economic groups and there is no "the" Miami accent.

However, as one poster in particular mentioned,

Quote:
I guess the Miami accent is spoken for the most part by second and third generation Cubans.
I do notice a particular accent among second and third generation "Cubans", especially the way they pronounce the "l"s.

And again, as some have mentioned, there are analogies in cities like New York and Chicago from decades past.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benrosa1990 View Post
How would one best describe the "Miami Accent" (heard in talking with people that were born & raised here, or least lived here the better part of their lives)...,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNu-PiHm3LU

these white girls Have the Miami Accent. I thought they were white Cubans at first.

The Cuban girl from Real World Miami season 5 Melissa Padron had it too. I know NJ Cubans didn't have it even if they were raised by spanish speaking parents. Now that this generation of Miami Cubans are raised mostly by English speaking parents and their friends don't have it you hear it less. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_World:_Miami

Old 05-20-2018, 07:40 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
The only people I’ve seen in Miami who have an obvious accent native to the city are African Americans, Haitian/Caribbean Americans and the Hispanics who live in the Hood.

I’m not too sure I heard an obvious accent from people who aren’t in the groups I mentioned above!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami