Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 AM

248 posts, read 616,071 times

Advertisements

Nice sample of Miami accents, kind of vintage.

http://www.youtube.com/v/lBZKh1fXnRk...</param><param

Last edited by Neng.; 02-12-2010 at 04:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,017 times
In Scarface the real Miami accent can be heard by the Character Manny played bt Steven Bauer who was also in "Que Pasa USA" if you listen to him talk compared to Al Pacinos Character you can see a big difference. By the end of the movie Pacinos accent is more of a New York accent not Miami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COi9O...eature=related

Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 AM

Elias

I studied with Bauer, his real name is Echevarria, I think...
He worked at the Audiovisual Department MDCC - Downtown.
They created Qué pasa USA, the best series ever.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:34 PM

707 posts, read 1,408,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
Elias

I studied with Bauer, his real name is Echevarria, I think...
He worked at the Audiovisual Department MDCC - Downtown.
They created Qué pasa USA, the best series ever.
The American girl on Que pasa USA went to my High School, Southwest HS.
I knew Bauer couldn't be his real name, when did he change it do you know?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Yes, he did not want to be classified as "Latin character", thus limiting his professional opportunities.

Later, he played many movies as Arab terrorist, Afgan freedom fighter, etc.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:35 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
LOL, Accent? You should have listened to me when I got off the boat . Classic Tony Montana accent. Miami accent is one of those drawl that I’m still trying to define. It is a mix of Latin-Cuban flavor with a high dose of NY, NJ accent. The latter is well marked in the White Non-Hispanic population that lives near the coast. Gosh, sometimes when I’m in Aventura, Key Biscayne or Boca Raton I feel like I’m in NJ or NY. But either way, the Miami accent is not easily identified like the Texans accent or the NY, NJ accents, I would say it is pretty standard with the vowel pronunciation and some slang words being the more notable patterns particularly because the Latin influence. However, the accent in the Miami and SFL’s African-American population is a totally different monster. It still has a strong southern influence. Strange, isn't it?
You are so right. Most people tell me I don't have an accent they can place, but I lived in MD for some time and they think they are Northerners but they aren't (in my eyse) and I still say Ya'll - something i never got rid of. I find that NYers in particular anunciate a lot. I know that I tend to say every syllable of a word.

I was in the Hard Rock in December and I hadn't heard a southern accent the whole time I was in florida, but then we went out to eat and the waitor (black/african american) had the most southern accent and I looked at him like he had 4 heads - he most have known and told me he was born and raised in Davie but never did shake the accent - it really was almost unbelievable to me LOL.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
In Scarface the real Miami accent can be heard by the Character Manny played bt Steven Bauer who was also in "Que Pasa USA" if you listen to him talk compared to Al Pacinos Character you can see a big difference. By the end of the movie Pacinos accent is more of a New York accent not Miami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COi9O...eature=related
One of the best movies ever made and as for Steven Bauer - it was easy he is cuban born. While I could tell Al Pacino's accent was fake I thought he did a relatively good job LOL

Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Hey - Moderator cut: English Only take it easy LMAO - priceless

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-12-2010 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 02:49 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benrosa1990 View Post
How would one best describe the "Miami Accent" (heard in talking with people that were born & raised here, or least lived here the better part of their lives)...,
depends on the ethnic group. Miami Cubans have a very distinct sound to them. So do Miami African Americans (sounds sorta nasal)

Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
The Miami accent is unique and is NOT the NYC or NE accent. People that have that NE accent are FROM the northeast and have moved to South Florida....but since there are so many ex northeasterners here, people mistakenly think it is the accent of the area.

The true blue Miami accent is what you hear from people born here and who grew up here maybe 50 years or older. It is slightly and I mean ever so slightly southern mixed with northern, kind of what happens around Virginia when the north meets the south. It is distinct and not the same as other accents. You don't hear it often, but if you do, since it is so rare now, you will probably assume that person ISN'T from South Florida lol.

The common accent is the Latin one that has been alluded to and shown in the You Tube videos, you will find that one amongst native Whites and Latins nowadays in Miami.

African Americans have their own Southern speech pattern....and of course the people who have moved here from other places retain their old accents because they view the "Miami" accent as a "Spanish" accent or an urban accent and they don't want to imitate "poor English" I suppose...but it is really just the way local speech has evolved.

There are a lot of things we say differently in Miami...one that comes to mind is "anyways" with an s at the end. I didn't realize the rest of the country says anyway without an s....

People here say on a car vs. in a car....kind of like how in NYC people wait on line vs. in line....

To get out of a car in Miami is to get off the car....that's another one, I still get those mixed up, which one is correct or not, lol.

There are tons, you pick them up, but the speech here is basically heavily latin influenced with urban vocabulary, probably not too different from other major cities with large Latin populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami