Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:10 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Caribbean hispanics are usually loud, and once they move to Americans cities, they evolved into ghetto masters. These are the Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and some of the Venezuelans and Colombians. South Americans from the souther half of the continent are less loud. Argentinians, Paraguayans and Chileans are highly educated.
I would agree with you .... Caribbean Hispanics are very loud and many are rude ... there are exceptions depending on educational level , but your post is right on except for the Colombians as the ones I know from Bogota are highly educated and not loud mouths like the Cubans , Venezuelans , Dominicans and Puerto Ricans . God I hate to go here , but I have to eschew political correctness and call it like I see it .

It seems like the Cubans who are second and third generation ( Americans ) are much different from the arrivals of the last 10 - 15 years ... they do not even like each other !!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I don't think the Cuban thing applies to Tampa -- but then those Cubans came here about 100 years ago.
I am from Tampa and the Cuban Americans from Tampa are third and even fourth generation ..... nothing like the recent Cuban arrivals down here . They are Americans who are proud of their Cuban heritage , but are Americans first !!!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 PM

110 posts, read 438,817 times
if you get to the point that someone can offend you in miami that means you are not mature enough.
nobody can offend me. it is not worth it to get into me. not cubans nor other people. it is easy to get offended but it is hard to be a mature man.

Judge not and you will not be judged

Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 PM

31 posts, read 119,267 times
Yes in general, many are rude in Miami.

All races and ethnic groups have the good, the bad and the ugly. You have to be uneducated to make coments in general. That has always existed. I'ts just that many people see these people come from other countries and prosper much more than they could, and that creates friction.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Yes, Miami is the rudest city on the planet. Yes, it is mainly due to Cubans (and to a lesser extent others who think the native population should change to accomodate them instead of the other way around). Why are the Cubans like this? It is because we have made them like this. By giving them special status different than all others who wash up on our shores we are telling them that they are special. So, why are we surprised when they go around acting like they are special? As much as I'd like to blame the Cubans for acting the way they are I think it would be less than honest to do so. The blame should also be shared with the politicians that bend over backwards for these immigrants in the hopes of one day getting their votes.

What Miami needs is about a 20 eyar ban on immigration so that the poeple here can try to assimilate. Maybe if we weren't constantly adding people to this pressure-cooker that we call Miami then maybe the peopel here would start to be a little less hostile toward each other.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:12 AM

14 posts, read 28,367 times
And what about europeans? Are they respectful and educated people?

I'm just finding very interesting such diferent cultural attitude.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocaseiro View Post
And what about Europeans? Are they respectful and educated people?

I'm just finding very interesting such different cultural attitude.
Hi Pedro,

I lived in Italy, Portugal, and Greece. I would say that courtesy, or respect, is built into the linguistic patterns, especially Italy, maybe to a lesser extent Portugal and Greece. What is harder to gauge is sincerity, but in most cases of routine daily transactions it matters little and the formality, in my view, does everyone a big favor, helping to hide bad moods for example.

But US culture, as part of its history, has a different take on formalisms.

As you may know, there is little or no formality in US English in how people greet each other for example or what you say to the cashier as you purchase something in the store.

Do you live in Lisbon? Has the cost of living risen significantly since the introduction of the euro? Are average incomes stagnant? Has the city become more crowded since then?

If so, do you notice that these developments have had an affect on general courtesy and respectfulness?

Old 08-14-2007, 11:19 AM

448 posts, read 1,856,012 times
"Maybe if we weren't constantly adding people to this pressure-cooker that we call Miami then maybe the peopel here would start to be a little less hostile toward each other."

Oh my god! you took those words out of my mouth. I don't see Miami as a melting pot, I see it as a pressure cooker. There are so many different kinds of people in this city that their own hatred for one another will make this city explode.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 AM

448 posts, read 1,856,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
I would agree with you .... Caribbean Hispanics are very loud and many are rude ... there are exceptions depending on educational level , but your post is right on except for the Colombians as the ones I know from Bogota are highly educated and not loud mouths like the Cubans , Venezuelans , Dominicans and Puerto Ricans . God I hate to go here , but I have to eschew political correctness and call it like I see it .

It seems like the Cubans who are second and third generation ( Americans ) are much different from the arrivals of the last 10 - 15 years ... they do not even like each other !!
I agree that most Colombians are highly educated and cortious. They are so nice that when they speak spanish, they treat each other with the upmost respect, using the word Usted instead of tu. But, the Colombians that live by the Caribbean Sea, for example those from Cartagena, are very similiar to their Venezuelan and Cuban friends. I am not sure why this is true, but somehow the proximity to the ocean has made all this people loud!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Ok, here is yet another Miami post that is more about race and actions of certain races than the issue at hand. Time to close another Miami thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami