Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:14 PM

160 posts, read 600,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
???
im confused
i see alot of poor black people living on welfare down here
i like the idea of these people being taught to save and invest money and better themselves.
everybody wins.
whats not to like?

it almost sounds like youre denying the problem exists. admit theres a problem, deal with it, move on. theres black people in homestead, florida city, and naranja that live like they did in the ghettos of new orleans before they were destroyed.
LOL, the 10 black people you've spoken to in your life may fit that mold but it's very ignorant to generalize that to everyone. The ghettos of NO? There's white people living in trailer parks in Davie just like they did in the mountains of WV. So fing what? Why don't you ever address some of the problems white people have instead of coming on here all the time spewing your venom about minorities? Oh the meth labs, grow houses, pension fraud and general embezzlement probably aren't hurting anyone so its ok. Don't even get me started. But you now what, even though the majority of people that commit crimes like these (statisticallly not my biased views) are white I would never generalize and say most white people do anything! That makes no sense, so what makes you think it's ok to do that? It's a small segment of the population that cannot be applied to everyone ele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Ok 20% of Miami-Dade county is black. Of those 20% many (not all) are not living in great safe areas. Many are living in the usual parts of town that we have discussed. And many are just making it here, you can generalize that because it is happening to many in this community you just may not be aware of it. Now this isn't just in the African-American community this is affecting other people too (white, hispanic, asian, etc). Some of you are like my naive neighbor, who had no clue 6 homes in our area had been broken into in 3 months, she felt safe and only thought 1 house had gotten broken into. If you believe that the many (not all) in the black community are not living pay check to pay check, think again. Then you are just as naive/ignorant as my neighbor is about crime in the area. BTW I am in Kendall, where there has been a spike in crime.

Prettygryl, I met Cixel recently, nice, normal, down to earth guy. He truely has his head on straight. You may not agree with everyones posts, that is fine. My neighbor and parents live sheltered lives too. But facts are facts, and many people down here do live paycheck to paycheck.
Give us a real statistic instead of "many". Ok, 20% are black, so what? Give us a real number of those that are on welfare, burglars and living paycheck to paycheck. That is so not a phenomenon of minorities. White people living in million dollar homes on Miami Beach are living paycheck to paycheck and beyond their means.

DoveDiva don't you just love how we were told that we're not aware of problems in the African-American community? That's hilarious, I hope you two didn't type that with a straight face. You're right. I'm sure you're more in tune to the plight of Black people in this country than we are. I should start getting my information from TV, riding around bad neighborhoods and people who have had their homes broken into. We should probably start asking our family what their doing when we think they're asleep, because apparently we're the only African-Americans not terrorizing people and living off the government. How could we not know?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:30 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
10 black people ive spoken to in my life?
in LA i worked at an aerospace company where i was one of two white guys in the IT department. i didnt think anything of it. its so multi-racial over there and no one cares.
i have a good friend over there who is black, white and indian. he found a girl over there who was black, white and indian too and joked he wanted to hook up with her to start his own race.
you see mixtures of people over there that you have no idea what theyre racial background is. thats how it should be here in miami if they really want to call it diversity.

im confused. whats wrong with helping poor people learn to live financially sustainable lives?

theres plenty of people living paycheck to paycheck in north florida and in states above that where ive never even been. the rednecky areas. if someone was teaching them to learn to handle their finances id be all for that too.

are you one of those people who want to be treated differently just cuz youre black?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:32 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
[quote=kelabu;919936] There's white people living in trailer parks in Davie just like they did in the mountains of WV. [quote=kelabu;919936]

I hate to be part of a flame war but I think I should add that many of those people living in the Davie trailer parks are very good people who were priced out of other areas,are not necessiarly poor, but maybe wanted to get thier kids into some decent schools and live in a safe area. I think that appeal goes beyond whites, as I have met black people who live in Sunshine Village, as well as many non-whites in other Davie trailer parks and many whites who do not live your stereotype "trailer park" lifestyle. I think that is very offensive to compare it to "the mountains ot WV". Point is, both sides here are stereotyping. Some of the posters on here are stereotyping blacks living "check to check" while you have now added a stigma to whites living in Davie trailer parks. Can we please just cut out this **** and have an intelligible thread, this is applying to everyone in this post. I acutally personally live a colorblind life, I very rarely look at race, I only look at race in rediculous situations such as this, or in an anti-racist manner,or to just give the straight up facts, as people are people! Cant we all just live similarly?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:33 PM

how are the realestate prices in those areas of dade? can you rent an inexpensive house with a yard? i can deal with rednecks even if the confederate flags would creep me out a little.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:46 PM

i will admit ive met alot of black people down here with kelabu's attitude. i think it comes from being born and raised in florida or maybe just simply 'the south' but they have no vision of what a normal egalitarian society is like.

i first noticed this change in black people when we drove cross country on I-10. we stopped at an exit in east texas and went to a gas station and everyone was staring at us. we didnt think anything of it at the time just that maybe they thought it was odd that we were in 'the black area' or something.
now we realize from living down here that they didnt want us there.
at least i know this phenomenon is only isolated to a few areas of the country. weird.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
i will admit ive met alot of black people down here with kelabu's attitude. i think it comes from being born and raised in florida or maybe just simply 'the south' but they have no vision of what a normal egalitarian society is like.

i first noticed this change in black people when we drove cross country on I-10. we stopped at an exit in east texas and went to a gas station and everyone was staring at us. we didnt think anything of it at the time just that maybe they thought it was odd that we were in 'the black area' or something.
now we realize from living down here that they didnt want us there.
at least i know this phenomenon is only isolated to a few areas of the country. weird.
Miami was classically a city known for racial tension, as was the rest of the south. Thing is, Miami was so white, the beaches were seperated, fountains were seperated, hell, even the Jews were not allowed everywhere. In California, you do not have that deep- rooted tension associated with segregation in the south, and in many ways it is diluted in Florida compared to some other southern states. I mean some areas have less tensions then others, especially areas that were made up almost exclusively of transplants (much of Broward county, parts of Atlanta, etc), but it is still something that is not present in California.

I will say one thing though, when I lived in Long Island, it was EVEN worse than here. If a black person were seen in an area like Plainview/etc, people would just think "WTF". I think Long Island remains the most segregated place in the country. Same could be said for any other race entering any other part of town.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:06 PM

sometimes i think that when the internet was developed some areas of the country were ready for it but the rest of the country was dragged kicking and screaming into the future.
race - doesnt matter - at all.
its pointless.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM

160 posts, read 600,887 times
[quote=fort lauderdale;920069][quote=kelabu;919936] There's white people living in trailer parks in Davie just like they did in the mountains of WV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post

I hate to be part of a flame war but I think I should add that many of those people living in the Davie trailer parks are very good people who were priced out of other areas,are not necessiarly poor, but maybe wanted to get thier kids into some decent schools and live in a safe area. I think that appeal goes beyond whites, as I have met black people who live in Sunshine Village, as well as many non-whites in other Davie trailer parks and many whites who do not live your stereotype "trailer park" lifestyle. I think that is very offensive to compare it to "the mountains ot WV". Point is, both sides here are stereotyping. Some of the posters on here are stereotyping blacks living "check to check" while you have now added a stigma to whites living in Davie trailer parks. Can we please just cut out this **** and have an intelligible thread, this is applying to everyone in this post. I acutally personally live a colorblind life, I very rarely look at race, I only look at race in rediculous situations such as this, or in an anti-racist manner,or to just give the straight up facts, as people are people! Cant we all just live similarly?

I realize that's stereotyping. I was making a point about the comparison to NO... that it didn't have anything to do with the conversation. If you look back I never intimated that they were bad people either. I've been to WV and didn't have any problems. At least you know where some people are coming from instead of being blindsided. Now I don't go routinely go to trailer parks, especially in Davie but that came from a bad personal experience. When I first moved to SoFla I didn't know the reputation of the area and had some bad experiences while looking at houses with my realtor that made me never want to go back there.
I don't think it's possible to have an intelligible conversation on this thread because the basic premise of that person's post was based on ignorant generalizations. (the paycheck to paycheck comment that I responded to) How can you then debate something that's based on untruths? I'm not going to congratulate someone for saying they are helping Black people in the same breath as an insult saying most of us need assistance with finances. That didn't really have anything to do with the original poster's question about starting a business here. Why couldn't they just say they educate PEOPLE on building wealth, or that some PEOPLE don't understand money? That ticked me off.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Back to the posters topic

Dade- I believe all areas have been listed
Broward- Miramar, west PB Pines, Fort Lauderdale, North Lauderdale, Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, sections of Hollywood, Pompano Beach,east Sunrise.
Palm Beach County-east Delray Beach,east Boynton Beach, WPB

Old 06-20-2007, 07:45 PM

[quote=kelabu;921836][quote=fort lauderdale;920069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
Now I don't go routinely go to trailer parks, especially in Davie but that came from a bad personal experience. When I first moved to SoFla I didn't know the reputation of the area and had some bad experiences while looking at houses with my realtor that made me never want to go back there.

Some of those Davie people back in the day were REALLY racist, I guess it depends on the trailer park.The east side still is. I saw those neo-nazi skinhead guys off near Downtown Davie walking around with White Aryan Resistance shirts in thier (dirty and disgusting) neighborhood quite recently. I do not want to assume that is what the experience is based on, but Davie most certainly does have a racist reputation that I believe is diminishing as of late in the western half and in the Nova area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami