Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 05:35 PM

217 posts, read 607,664 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to install a freestanding wood stove in my house later this year. Wondering if anyone here uses one, and, if so, any recommendations on brands to look at and those to avoid? My house is in the Marquette area and about 1200 sq. ft., so I'm probably looking for a medium heating capacity stove.

I've done some research online, but there's so many companies out there and you can buy them anywhere from your local Menards to local specialty shop that it can be hard to get real user input. So, what has worked for you and what hasn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 06:07 PM

58 posts, read 162,289 times
We have a Jotul.(I think the model is Oslo). We've only had it for 2 winters, but are quite happy with it so far.
Martha

Old 07-10-2010, 06:31 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,046 times
(I had a quadrafire CB1200 pellet stove....)

Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 PM

749 posts, read 2,771,191 times
Look into Napoleon stoves, we are very happy with ours

Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 PM

271 posts, read 664,699 times
I have a Kent Sherwood. Same thing as a Kent Tile Fire without the decorative tile in the heat shields. Don't know what to call it for size but it's smaller than my dad's stove. It heats my 1050 sq ft house fine. Though it would be easier if it were more centrally located, it is off in one corner so I need to run fans to get the heat to the back bedrooms.I also use a heavy dose of Rutland Creosote remover powder after each pipe cleaning and then a few times between cleanings. It really does work. As it burns it forms a brownish gray non-stick layer in the pipe and makes it so even glaze creosote practically wipes right off.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:27 AM

258 posts, read 999,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedlady View Post
We have a Jotul.(I think the model is Oslo). We've only had it for 2 winters, but are quite happy with it so far.
Martha
I've owned several Jotuls and, also, a Hearthstone and Vermont Castings. IMO, the Jotul is the "Cadillac" of wood stoves. Just unbeatable quality and performance.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:51 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
The best wood stove you can buy is Max Blank. They can be very pricy, but this German Company really knows their wood stoves. Heats my whole house here in Marquette, ( 1500 sq ft.) They make a complete line, even models that bake bread and swivel . I got a real deal by buying direct from the Importer in Chicago and taking a trade show display model. I have the Heilburg, quite contempory with clear glass door, stainless trim, and colored cermaic..... Check out their website for different models. It was worth the trip to Chicago with my p/u truck.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM

217 posts, read 607,664 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll start looking in to all of them. I'm trying to keep the cost of the unit between $1000-1500. I know someone who is certified to install them that will do it for me to help keep that cost down.

I did take a peek at some of the Max Blank ones. Yeah, those are definitely pretty stylish! And I imagine a nice penny or two, too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan