Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:18 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
A guy I do business with was robbed in his driveway.
I lived in Lexington, KY, which is one of the safest CITIES in America.

This happens all the time, even in the good parts of town.

Common sense goes a long way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM

8 posts, read 54,958 times
My husband and I have lived in GPPark for six years. He just took a job out of state, so we're on our way out. My thoughts as we're leaving? Well, aesthetically, I think the Pointes are the prettiest communities in Metro Detroit. No cookie-cutter look here. I also think it's a great place to raise a family. There's a small town feel; people are friendly; and I think if you have children you'll have an "instant" social life when you move here. The police, parks and schools are great. That being said, there are definitely some cons. There's no where to eat. When we entertained friends from other communities, it was down right embarrassing, the lack of restaurant options. There's also limited shopping. When you live here, you get used to driving to other communities for things. But...we don't have the traffic that Rochester does. Unbelievable, the traffic in Rochester! Good luck with your decision. I think GP is a good choice, just understand that by living here, you definitely have to make some sacrifices.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Much of what you'll want that's not available in the GPs (chain restaurants, Meijer, Costco, cheap gas) is available in Roseville, right up 94 a few miles. Otherwise, plan on going out to Troy, the Partridge Creek/Lakeside area, or Dearborn/Allen Park. There is/are dining options in the Pointes. Mama Rosa's on Mack (at Lakepointe or Maryland, I think) has good pizza and pasta, Janet's Lunch for breakfast, and is Lucy's still open in GPF? I haven't been there in a few years.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:43 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
I live in Harper Woods on the Grosse Pointe border and there is plenty of shopping nearby. Just a 10 minute drive on 94. If you live in Grosse Pointe, you can lower yourself and shop at Eastland. There's a Macy's, Sears, Target, Home Depot and Lowes. Grosse Pointe is too stuck up to have big box shopping. That was Harper Woods purpose to provide shopping for Grosse Pointers but the blacks took over Eastland so they are lost and have to go to Roseville.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM

The only places I see GPers in Roseville on a regular basis are Costco (lots of them there) and Sam's, maybe Mongolian BBQ. I think they go up to 23 and Gratiot and Somerset now. I still see some GPers at the Eastland Target and Macy's, but rarely inside the mall proper, except for the 9AM mall walkers. I have yet to see a Grosse Pointer at The Home Depot (nearly 100% black clientele whenever I go there)...Lowe's, some.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Am I the only one that's surprised that [JS] hasn't showed up yet?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 AM

I've been wondering that myself. I kinda miss him/her, not sure which one.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:37 PM

7 posts, read 10,316 times
Ok, I can’t ignore this any longer. I have to speak up. Just exactly what do you mean by: "I have yet to see a Grosse Pointer at The Home Depot (nearly 100% black clientele whenever I go there)?” Exactly what does a Grosse Pointer look like? If you saw Anita Baker or her children in Home Depot would she (they) not be considered a Grosse Pointer(s) because she’s (they’re) black? I know, you may have to Google Anita Baker.

It’s this ignorant attitude that keeps so many people outside of the metro area from wanting to relocate here. I’m sure that if the original poster wanted an extremely segregated, white’s only environment they would have inquired about something a little further out from Detroit.

There are MANY black people living in all five Grosse Pointe. Scolls, your city of Harper Woods will be predominantly black in the next five years if it takes that long. The only Grosse Pointe School in Harper Woods has a 50% black student body. Parcells and Grosse Pointe North have a 20% black student body. In the next five years Mason elementary will have a 20% black student body. Defer on the southwest end also has a large black student body. In time, so too will Ferry, Kerby and Trombly. It’s only a matter of TIME! Many wealthy black Detroiter’s have sent their children to Liggett and The Academy for years.

So where do you direct the poster to – Rochester!? Rochester is struggling with schools of choice issues. You see, too many black people from Detroit are relocating to Eastpointe, Roseville (Location of your Macomb Mall suggestion (LOL)), Chesterfield Twp., Warren, Etc,… I also know several black folks who have purchased homes there too. I’m even starting to see more black folks in Northville and Plymouth.

Let’s face it. Detroit is emptying out. All those black folks have to go somewhere. Several are choosing Grosse Pointe to call home. And get this, they all are not renting and some like me have bought rather large homes on rather large lots prior to the housing market collapse. That is to be read, we have the credit, capital and capacity to live where ever we choose.

Scolls and us66 are going to be VERY surprised when the final results of the 2010 census are released. But if you can’t wait until then, go stand at the corner of Mack and Vernier at about 3:15 pm on September 8th, 2010. You’ll see just how colorful Grosse Pointe Has become!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I've been wondering that myself. I kinda miss him/her, not sure which one.
I know. I haven't had a good [JS]-induced laugh in a while.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointes of Color View Post
Ok, I can’t ignore this any longer. I have to speak up. Just exactly what do you mean by: "I have yet to see a Grosse Pointer at The Home Depot (nearly 100% black clientele whenever I go there)?” Exactly what does a Grosse Pointer look like? If you saw Anita Baker or her children in Home Depot would she (they) not be considered a Grosse Pointer(s) because she’s (they’re) black? I know, you may have to Google Anita Baker.

It’s this ignorant attitude that keeps so many people outside of the metro area from wanting to relocate here. I’m sure that if the original poster wanted an extremely segregated, white’s only environment they would have inquired about something a little further out from Detroit.

There are MANY black people living in all five Grosse Pointe. Scolls, your city of Harper Woods will be predominantly black in the next five years if it takes that long. The only Grosse Pointe School in Harper Woods has a 50% black student body. Parcells and Grosse Pointe North have a 20% black student body. In the next five years Mason elementary will have a 20% black student body. Defer on the southwest end also has a large black student body. In time, so too will Ferry, Kerby and Trombly. It’s only a matter of TIME! Many wealthy black Detroiter’s have sent their children to Liggett and The Academy for years.

So where do you direct the poster to – Rochester!? Rochester is struggling with schools of choice issues. You see, too many black people from Detroit are relocating to Eastpointe, Roseville (Location of your Macomb Mall suggestion (LOL)), Chesterfield Twp., Warren, Etc,… I also know several black folks who have purchased homes there too. I’m even starting to see more black folks in Northville and Plymouth.

Let’s face it. Detroit is emptying out. All those black folks have to go somewhere. Several are choosing Grosse Pointe to call home. And get this, they all are not renting and some like me have bought rather large homes on rather large lots prior to the housing market collapse. That is to be read, we have the credit, capital and capacity to live where ever we choose.

Scolls and us66 are going to be VERY surprised when the final results of the 2010 census are released. But if you can’t wait until then, go stand at the corner of Mack and Vernier at about 3:15 pm on September 8th, 2010. You’ll see just how colorful Grosse Pointe Has become!

Huh? I've said many times on this forum that Harper Woods is turning about 50/50. I'm will to bet that Grosse Pointe is still 85-90% white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan